Duck gets 3D printed foot.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

Duck gets 3D printed foot.

Post by Raggedyann » 07-04-2013 03:15 AM

Engineers at the Nashville-based copier reseller didn't think helping a duck live a normal life would be a project they would encounter during the rise of 3-D printing. But they agreed to donate their time, expertise and technology to help Buttercup when a suburban Memphis waterfowl sanctuary approached them.

Buttercup was hatched last year in a high school biology lab with a backward left foot. His second owner, Mike Garey of Feathered Angels Waterfowl Sanctuary in Arlington, Tenn., knew Buttercup wouldn't survive in his condition.

"When he would walk outside, his leg would start bleeding," Garey said. "I knew Buttercup would be better off as a peg-leg duck than a duck with a disabled foot."

A veterinarian amputated the duck's left foot in February, and a long healing process began. As Buttercup's stump healed, Garey looked for options to give him a prosthetic foot.

Garey considered 3-D printing because the model for a mold could be built with extreme precision.

[yt]/OCoyo9SZAiI[/yt]

I know Einstein's brain is in a jar out there somewhere...
Last edited by Raggedyann on 07-04-2013 03:20 AM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-04-2013 09:49 AM

hehe all my friends sent me this link "look - your printer could help ducks with one foot!".

Gotta love it.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”