The Animal Soldiers Of World War I

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

The Animal Soldiers Of World War I

Post by Riddick » 03-02-2017 01:55 AM

During the First World War, a menagerie of animals became honorary soldiers in the American army. Whether for the sake of comfort, combat, or ceremonial pride, different World War I U.S. military regiments adopted animals into their ranks—from several species of canine to the more unusual raccoon and baby alligator.

Recent photos digitized by the National Archives reveal the range of animal mascots employed during World War I and the relationships soldiers had with these creatures. FULL STORY
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Re: The Animal Soldiers Of World War I

Post by kbot » 03-02-2017 06:39 AM

Nice article Riddick. Science is finally "discovering" what lesser mortals have already known for countless generations - that animals play important, unquantifiable roles with humans and their mere presence and interaction with humans leads to a number of benefits. Why we as a society "need" to have that stamp of imprimatur from academia never fails to baffle me (off topic, sorry......)

The story did remind me though of stories I'd heard or read in old newspapers about local pigeon racing clubs - don't seem to see that much anymore. I have a nephew who's in-laws belong to the only local pigeon racing club around here, and my wife was just telling em about her grandfather who used to raise pigeons for racing.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”