Mysterious And Reassuring

Moderator: Super Moderators

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 03-10-2004 10:22 PM

Welcome new Pirates, Glop and Searchingspirit to our fine ship..

Glop what was said when you were screened last Saturday night. I thought Art was doing it from his home and there were no screeners. Seems pretty strange that, that would be happening.

Glop
Pirate

re tiffany

Post by Glop » 03-11-2004 12:31 AM

i was calling on the 1st time line, a gentlemen answered and asked if i had a question for Art! I said yes i'd like to comment on his antenna and...he cut me off saying "ok, hold on about a minute 15 seconds and then heard a recording sayng to be sure my radio was turned off and so forth then for the next 60 seconds i listened to the show in real-real time over the phone until Art qued me.

i thought that was odd also, perhaps with his back problems and all he's needing a little help these days. I know from personal experience how hard it must be for art to even just sit in that chair for the duration of the show. the area code is definately for southern nevada.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 03-13-2004 11:09 PM

Sounds like the calls are being screened. Wonder why that is happening.

Art has always prided himself in not having screened calls. Must be a reason we are not privy too.

Grim Jim
Pirate

Post by Grim Jim » 03-14-2004 06:10 PM

It might be related to the whole Clear Channel indecency snafu. Maybe Clear Channel won't allow any of their shows to be unscreened :mad: .

TheOneRod
Pirate

Post by TheOneRod » 03-23-2004 08:52 PM

That is, unfortunately, a possible answer.
“Some world views are spacious,
Some are merely spaced.”
Neil Peart

DesertOfTheSea
Pirate

Post by DesertOfTheSea » 03-31-2004 12:09 PM

True! Art needs to play it safe. Who knows who could have it out for Art and want to shut him up for good.

Chas
#1 Art Bell Fan (in the high desert).

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 03-31-2004 04:22 PM

I'm pretty sure I heard Art use the word "unscreened" when describing open lines this last weekend. Who would be screening them for him, Ramona?

Burt Gummer
Pirate

Post by Burt Gummer » 03-31-2004 04:34 PM

I also heard him say "unscreened", it sounded like he *emphasized* it on purpose. It makes you wonder if theres been a policy shift with-in the Borg.

alphacentaura
Pirate

Post by alphacentaura » 03-31-2004 04:39 PM

dale65802 wrote: I'm pretty sure I heard Art use the word "unscreened" when describing open lines this last weekend. Who would be screening them for him, Ramona?

dale, .....agree totally.

Art made a HUGE point in a very large voice to communicate that this last Sunday's Open Line's Show was totally unscreened....something like making available and accessible the total DNA and genepool of the USA....(paraphrase, of course)

What's up with these allegation anywhooooo?...me thinks perhaps some don't differentiate between when they're calling George or calling Art....slap yourself alpha....how could that be??!!

Bottom line, Art would not lie or mislead at the expense of his long standing reputation to state unscreened open lines, when they are not....then on the other hand....others seem to have no problem with that, even when they're caught in the act.

:eek:

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 03-31-2004 04:54 PM

TABWebmaster got thru Sunday night. Ask him who answered the phone.

Post by Guest » 04-01-2004 03:28 AM

Burt Gummer wrote: I also heard him say "unscreened", it sounded like he *emphasized* it on purpose. It makes you wonder if theres been a policy shift with-in the Borg.

He emphasizes it to distinguish from the screened calls during the week. George uses multiple lines answered by his screeners who put you on hold. Art answers the phone himself and you don't get put on hold - it will keep ringing (or busy) until he picks it up.

Glop
Pirate

Post by Glop » 04-07-2004 07:57 PM

if Art is not screening his now, that's great, i like the whole idea of unscreened calls, and besides he has the delay to keep things safe. I DO, however, know for a fact that I was screened when i called. I was the 1ST caller on the show and was on the 1st time-line, and it was a Saturday night, and yes i know the difference between Art and George. I have never called George, and this was the one and only time i got thru to Art and it wasn't Ramona who answered the phone.
Read the word-for-word transaction on the phone betwixed myself and an unknown gentleman. I was never put on hold, but heard the show in real time over the phone until Art said, "1st time caller line - you're on the air!"

He was looking for input about his new attenna, so maybe he wanted to be sure that's the calls he got. Or maybe he doesn't screen all the time or some of the time.

I hope he isn't screening now, but really folx, i wouldn't lie to ya.
Not about his, anyway...:)

" i was calling on the 1st time line, a gentlemen answered and asked if i had a question for Art! I said yes i'd like to comment on his antenna and...he cut me off saying "ok, hold on about a minute 15 seconds and then heard a recording sayng to be sure my radio was turned off and so forth then for the next 60 seconds i listened to the show in real-real time over the phone until Art qued me."

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 04-07-2004 08:08 PM

Glop if you called before the show went on the air someone from Coast may have answered the phone, Art doesn't answer the phone before air time. It isn't Art doing unscreened calls now, he has always done unscreened calls, sounds like some kind of glitch here. Did you call before the show when on the air?

Glop
Pirate

Post by Glop » 04-07-2004 08:30 PM

spal, hiya! well, it was borderline, the show had JUST started, and i was the first caller, perhaps that explains it. I got thru during the first set of commercials, just after the introduction.

speaking of unscreened calls, anyone know when the last time Art's heard from J.C.? the latest clip i have of him is from 2002, are there any more recent ones?

Post by Guest » 04-08-2004 12:28 AM

JC has not called since Art's last retirement, that would be in 2002 - so you got the most recent ones.

Return to “Art Bell Archive”