Art Bell, subscription fee for archived programs, & more?

Moderator: Super Moderators

Alan62
Pirate

Art Bell, subscription fee for archived programs, & more?

Post by Alan62 » 03-31-2002 03:05 PM

I found Art on the radio dial about 5 yrs. ago after being switched to the night shift @ work. I was impressed with his intellect & interesting program & became a fan. When he left due to his personal crisis for a year or so then returned he promised no more huge commerical breaks and a better show as a criteria for his return. Then what happens, the breaks are longer then ever, he removes the forums from his website then { the thing that for me was the straw that broke the camels back} requested $ from his listeners to listen to archived programs with a subscription service!?
I didnt bite, and hope not too many other suckers { people} did. Art had a following of people that liked his style of not screening callers and he beacame a Guru of sorts with his kind, nonjudgemental personality. Has Art gone too far with all these changes? its all about $$$$$.
I'm well...disappointed , anyone else feel this way? This is my first post seems like a neat forum, thanks,
FIX YOUR EMAIL OR DONT POST

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 03-31-2002 08:01 PM

Have you ever compared the satisfaction level you get from a local bank v. a nationwide Wells Fargo or BofA? How about the quality of food and service in a small local eatery as opposed to Denney's or Outback (in almost the same sad category, I'm afraid)?

What has happened to Art strikes me the same way. Before, he was quirky and trying to grow and maintain his audience. He connected with his audience, and he seemed to me to be having a ball. All of that changed when he left the air. Whether it was the cumulative effect of his personal and family problems, or the known detrimental effect of going from small and independent to big and bean-counter driven, it ain't been the same since he came back.

He could pull this out... he's had some really good stretches... and I hope that's what he's trying to do now. I hope, but have no reason to believe, that he is fighting in the background to get the old feel back. I hope he is, and I hope he does.

Until that happens, I'm finding about one show a week worth the wear and tear on my ears.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Alan62
Pirate

Post by Alan62 » 03-31-2002 08:39 PM

I'm hoping Art will return to his roots because I really liked the show, and enjoyed it on the internet.
I didnt listen to it enough to justify paying the subscription fee, but theres more to it, we pay for the computer, internet access now we have to pay to use websites?
It's the principal of the whole concept that rubs me the wrong way. Theres tons of advertising on websites no need to charge for archived services. Well thanks to Whitley Strieber for his fine show & other genres @ sites like Live365 for free & interesting archived material.
I havent listened to more the a couple hours of Art since the subscription service began, also visit his website alot less. I think this move unfortunetly will if it hasnt allready bite Art in his Ass!!
thanks for the reply,

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-31-2002 09:06 PM

Hey, Alan62 - Welcome to the Fantastic Forum! Really nice to have you here from the great state of New York.

You and Morgan are making a lot of sense here, and I believe Art Bell is no fool. He is aware of all these things, but I have found his planning is usually long range. He has not lost his essential spirit - I have faith in that.

Art Bell has a plan, and he is executing that plan. He has the vision and the determination to see it through. I expect changes will be apparent as we go along here. There is something in the air - and I look for changes being unveiled over the next few months.

I believe Art reads this forum, from time to time - just to get a feel for which way the winds are blowing. Never forget, Art is a pirate at heart. I expect great things from him.

lutefisk
Pirate

Post by lutefisk » 03-31-2002 10:37 PM

I feel a distinct change in Art's show as well. The Art that came back after his "retirement" wouldn't even acknowlege Fans who offered him only encouragement and good will. He is guarded now and even though he vehemently denies it, it would seem his show has been censored.

He used to notice so much of the crap going on with our Government, now he's really into "torturing" those prisoners in Cuba. He even had entire shows devoted to asking whether or not people felt those prisoners should be "tortured."

It's fine to be "Patriotic" but, it's good to use the old grey matter and keep on asking questions too. I sure miss those old, razor sharp, quick witted, questions! Art's show made me think. It made me experience wonder and sometime's anger, but, not like his show now. Now, it's mostly boredom.

Occasionally, there are wonderful shows that harken back to the good old days, but, why charge for the show's archives?
Jeff Rense doesn't. Bob Hieronymus doesn't. Lou Gentile doesn't. So Far, Whitley doesn't either.

If you have to pay to listen to streaming, while being bombarded with every pop-up and strip ad known to man and woman and even some animals, then it's time to take the hammer out and say Arrivaderci Internet!

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 04-01-2002 12:30 AM

Happy to meet you, Alan62.

Ever since Premere Radio took over the show from Jacor Radio, it's been a downhill slide (Art's grave family problems not withstanding.)

Premrad seems to be working in the background to mold Art into "their" mold for a radio host. He's gone from being a "doing it yourself", take contol host to a host who now has a "staff" to line up guests and lately it appears that the callers are being sceened. Before he didn't screen, just picked up the phone and winged it. Made for some pretty exciting radio.

As for the payment for archives, put the blame squarely on Rush Limbaugh (another Premrad talent) and his 24/7 subscription service that was started last year. Premad saw a cash cow walking into the studio. Whitely Strieber pays for the archives out of his own pocket.

Try Dreamland on Saturday nights. As Art's shows seem to sink into mediocrity. Whitley's show keep getting better and more mind-expanding.

Note to myself: really need to get that list of broadcast stations and sites with streaming audio for Saturday Dreamland finished!

[This message has been edited by eliza_nightvoice (edited 31 March 2002).]

Alan62
Pirate

Post by Alan62 » 04-01-2002 10:39 AM

Wow,
Ive never been so nicely welcomed to a forum, thanks. Its good see that the folk here arent " brainwashed " and understand my constructive criticism. By no means am I bashing him or even faulting him but I think he's let this new owner schmooze him into destroying a once great radio program.
I also totally agree it's Rush Limbaughs DITTOHEADS to blame. Just because those folk pay to listen & follow that bombastic fellow doesnt mean it's right for Art Bell's listeners. He's got to know that & I hope as stated above he has something up his sleeve,
Thanks for the warm welcome & hope my posts arent too lame!!
So Long, Alan

Sandreckoner
Pirate

Post by Sandreckoner » 04-01-2002 11:21 AM

Um, I'm not sure you can blame Rush for what happens with Art's streaming broadcasts. I frankly have no problem with it. I'd love to be able to have free access as before, but it's hardly out of keeping with standard practices.

As for Art's attitude about the government, he seems no more gubmint friendly to me. Actually SUPPORTING the government in something it does hardly means he's lost his critical mind, give me a break. Anyone who feels we're mistreating or need to wring our hands over the "prisoners" in Cuba needs to take a closer look. Art has always supported our country, even when he may disagree with the behavior of particular portions of the government, and while even Art paints "the government" with too broad a brush at times even he understands that "the government" is simply a term that covers a huge swath of people and organizations.

Poptart8
Pirate

Post by Poptart8 » 04-01-2002 10:04 PM

Welcome aboard Alan62 to the good ship lollipop of late night rants.

My observation on this wide FCC ruling that is seriously affecting us online listeners is due to legal fees, royality payments and satellite (feed) fees.

Art is very good at his job ... I believe that the primary holding company out of GERMANY will bit the dust before the year is out. If I where Arthur I'd be re-readig my contract about now. Seems to me that Murdoch will dump his share in this satellite/radio company.

There is one option that I've been considering, what if the top 5 national ISP's included in their monthly fees the service of live radio. That would help the market and appease the consumer. Seems to me this is what Esiner and Warner Brothers is currently offering on AOL for a whooping $24.00/month.

The only other option left is Zeronet while paying the individual satellite network/server the global monthly fee for online LIVE feed listening.

Why not use the Sirius network for uploading?
We can sympathize with a child who is afraid of the dark, but the real tragedy of life is that most people are afraid of the light.

Post by Guest » 04-02-2002 01:04 AM

Hi Alan62,

Welcome to the FF. I think that you got it right on the nail. I haven't been a long time listener to Art's show. I just joined his merry band of stalwert listeners back in August of last year. I joined the FF in January of last year. Not only will you find intelligent people here, as I did, you'll find that nearly everyone has an opinion about Art, his show and "The Suits".
It is refreshing to read these opinions and get a chance to offer your own. I also think that Art is between a rock and a hard place and hope that he can get out of it okay and hang on to his reputation. If the Art Bell we are listening to these days is not the Art Bell of old, I hope that he can find himself and make a successful return with his thought provoking and oft times spine tingling topics. My interests are more in with the Paranormal, i.e., Ghosts, Hauntings, UFO's, etc.
Once again, welcome aboard. Image

------------------
Peace,

Captain Kundalini

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 04-02-2002 09:29 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sandreckoner:
Um, I'm not sure you can blame Rush for what happens with Art's streaming broadcasts. </font>
Limbaugh was the first broadcaster with to start a subscription fee to access his archives and "ditto cam" web camera. He is also under contract to PremRad. I guess I was making the leap that Premrad saw the number of $24.95 subscribers, saw the gravy train pulling into the station, and put a fee in place for their next biggest talent, Art.

Spookytoo
Pirate

Post by Spookytoo » 04-02-2002 01:50 PM

I still find the program compelling listening, at least when it is live and when Art is the host (although George Noory is sort of okay). What I am so disliking recently is ALL the re-runs, and recent ones, with no mention by the network that they even ARE re-runs. I think that Premier is trying to pull a fast one, and misleading listeners into thinking the show is live, so people won't realize how much Art is not hosting the show recently. If Art has to be off so much, then they should get Hilly Rose back to guest host all the nights that Art has to be off. AND Art should come clean with us about why he is off so often. I worry that he has yet another personal crisis going on, and although it is not my business I would prefer to hear the truth from Art rather than letting my imagination speculate (as it can't help doing!).
--Spookytoo.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alan62:
I found Art on the radio dial about 5 yrs. ago after being switched to the night shift @ work. I was impressed with his intellect & interesting program & became a fan. When he left due to his personal crisis for a year or so then returned he promised no more huge commerical breaks and a better show as a criteria for his return. Then what happens, the breaks are longer then ever, he removes the forums from his website then { the thing that for me was the straw that broke the camels back} requested $ from his listeners to listen to archived programs with a subscription service!?
I didnt bite, and hope not too many other suckers { people} did. Art had a following of people that liked his style of not screening callers and he beacame a Guru of sorts with his kind, nonjudgemental personality. Has Art gone too far with all these changes? its all about $$$$$.
I'm well...disappointed , anyone else feel this way? This is my first post seems like a neat forum, thanks,
</font>

Alan62
Pirate

Post by Alan62 » 04-02-2002 04:02 PM

Art Bell used to often say that his show would NEVER work in prime time because of it's unique content. Isolating his listeners from free archived internet access isnt gonna work either. I guess he really has found himself between a rock & a hard place. You sign them big contracts and the bosses have partial control of your soul it seems.
Whats next moving from his desert studio/home to EEE AAA BBB headquarters with RUSHHHH LIMBAUGHHH .
When he gets rid of his cats for a couple prancing poodles we'll know for sure the ole boy has OD'd on back medication.
Comon ART dont forget about your fans baby,
Thanks to the other folks for the welcome & replys,

Alan

------------------
Alan

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 04-02-2002 08:09 PM

Hi there, Spookytoo. Looks like I'm going to beat the official greeter pirate in saying "welcome aboard" (Sorry, Linnea Image)

Art seems to be running in streaks. A few weeks back he had 3 great shows in a row. Now there appears to be some slight of PremRad hand going on.

I think that something would have leaked by now if there was anything like the problems he has been faces with that caused his "retirement". My guess, a power struggle going on with PremRad. Even his dig to good ole webmaster, Keith, seemed to have a bit of a barb in it. "Et tu Brute"

Odyssey2001
Pirate

Post by Odyssey2001 » 04-03-2002 07:30 PM

I subscribed to the streaming service just for the old shows available every week. To me the $30 is money well spent. If I happen to miss a good show I have 2 months to go back and listen to it so I'm very very happy with the streaming service.

Chas

------------------
From The Desert Of
The Sea
Hi, This is George Snoory sitting in for Art Bell who's gosh darn back is acting up again...Art will be back on Jan 1, 2012

Return to “Art Bell Archive 12-2001 to 5-2002”