Conviction Overturned on Appeal for Camp Casey Protestors

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 02-15-2008 05:35 PM

American Civil Liberties Union of Texas

Yesterday, two protestors won the reversal of criminal convictions relating to their activities during a peaceful protest of the Iraq war at Camp Casey I, near the President’s ranch in Crawford, Texas. The protestors, Austin psychologist Dr. Em Hardy and retired attorney and Navy veteran Hiram Myers of Oklahoma, were arrested on April 14, 2006 after they erected the tent between fences on county roads to draw attention to the Iraq war.

“This is a victory for our clients and for the First Amendment,” said Lisa Graybill, Legal Director for the ACLU of Texas. “We are delighted to see justice done in this case.”

Hardy and Myers were arrested for “obstruction of a roadway,” even though the evidence clearly showed, and the appeals court agreed, there was no obstruction whatsoever. The court noted that the “remote possibility” of obst! ruction is not an adequate basis for arrest.

“The First Amendment means nothing if it does not protect the right to peacefully assemble and protest the actions of the government, whatever one’s viewpoint,” said longtime ACLU cooperating attorney David Broiles, who represented Myers and Hardy pro bono. “Freedom itself is at stake when the government silences those who disagree with its actions.”

“I’m delighted that the criminal conviction I received solely for exercising my First Amendment right to protest has been overturned. I am proud to be a part of a ruling that established a fair interpretation of a statute that could have been used against the constitutional rights of protestors in the future, “stated Hardy.

“The outcome of this case demonstrates that the First Amendment is still alive and well in Crawford, Texas, despite the government’s best efforts to silence us.” Myers agreed.

For more information on the ACLU of Texas, go to http://www.aclutx.org.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-15-2008 05:43 PM

Wether you like Casey or not this is a "Victory" for Americans.:) :) :)

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 02-16-2008 08:56 AM

Let us see what love can do.

Crawford Peace House
crawfordpeacehouse.org

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 02-16-2008 09:07 AM

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 02-16-2008 09:38 AM

Freedom itself is at stake when the government silences those who disagree with its actions.

David Broiles
ACLU Attorney

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-16-2008 02:59 PM

They did not obstruct the roadway -- but did they have permission to erect a tent on that area? Trespassing? Did they obtain the proper permits?

I agree it was good to overthrow the "obstruction" charge as they did not obstruct normal travel - the charge was off base.

badspell
Pirate

Re: Conviction Overturned on Appeal for Camp Casey Protestor

Post by badspell » 02-16-2008 05:27 PM

cherry wrote: American Civil Liberties Union of Texas

Yesterday, two protestors won the reversal of criminal convictions relating to their activities during a peaceful protest of the Iraq war at Camp Casey I, near the President’s ranch in Crawford, Texas. The protestors, Austin psychologist Dr. Em Hardy and retired attorney and Navy veteran Hiram Myers of Oklahoma, were arrested on April 14, 2006 after they erected the tent between fences on county roads to draw attention to the Iraq war.

“This is a victory for our clients and for the First Amendment,” said Lisa Graybill, Legal Director for the ACLU of Texas. “We are delighted to see justice done in this case.”

Hardy and Myers were arrested for “obstruction of a roadway,” even though the evidence clearly showed, and the appeals court agreed, there was no obstruction whatsoever. The court noted that the “remote possibility” of obst! ruction is not an adequate basis for arrest.

“The First Amendment means nothing if it does not protect the right to peacefully assemble and protest the actions of the government, whatever one’s viewpoint,” said longtime ACLU cooperating attorney David Broiles, who represented Myers and Hardy pro bono. “Freedom itself is at stake when the government silences those who disagree with its actions.”

“I’m delighted that the criminal conviction I received solely for exercising my First Amendment right to protest has been overturned. I am proud to be a part of a ruling that established a fair interpretation of a statute that could have been used against the constitutional rights of protestors in the future, “stated Hardy.

“The outcome of this case demonstrates that the First Amendment is still alive and well in Crawford, Texas, despite the government’s best efforts to silence us.” Myers agreed.

For more information on the ACLU of Texas, go to http://www.aclutx.org.

Nobody agrees with you more than myself. I remember the days of the helmet rallies. Let those who ride decide. It was almost a sad day when we won:) no more rallies:D
All hear few listen

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 02-16-2008 05:54 PM

This decision should make us tremble with fear. In the old days, Cindy Sheehan's empty car would be found on a bridge, with the door open and with her purse on the front seat but no suicide note. When the fascists are not capable of murdering her with impunity, then you know that the end is truly near.

You people don't listen, but I tell you truly that the most significant sound in the winter of 2008 are the grunts of f'ing capitalist pigs, stressed almost to cardiac arrest from the weight of the bags of gold that they have to carry onto the airplanes that are quietly, oh-so-quietly, whisking them away from this doomed land, doomed like Atlantis to sink beneath the waves!

People don't listen, but I tell you truly that one day the people will wake up. They will charge up the stairs to the corporate boardrooms and over the walls to the gated communities to find --- silence. File cabinets half opened in the sunlight. Safes emptied completely of their contents. And curtains by half-opened windows flapping gently in the desolate rooms.

You'll see that I was right. But it will be too late, too too late... :(
Last edited by joequinn on 02-16-2008 06:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

calamity jane
Pirate

Post by calamity jane » 02-16-2008 06:26 PM

Good Riddance to them! The wealth in this country is the land and its people. Unless our lands are mortgaged to the British and Chinese. Unless they come to enslave us.

Heh. Maybe we can work something out?

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 02-16-2008 06:46 PM

joequinn wrote: This decision should make us tremble with fear. In the old days, Cindy Sheehan's empty car would be found on a bridge, with the door open and with her purse on the front seat but no suicide note. When the fascists are not capable of murdering her with impunity, then you know that the end is truly near.

You people don't listen, but I tell you truly that the most significant sound in the winter of 2008 are the grunts of f'ing capitalist pigs, stressed almost to cardiac arrest from the weight of the bags of gold that they have to carry onto the airplanes that are quietly, oh-so-quietly, whisking them away from this doomed land, doomed like Atlantis to sink beneath the waves!

People don't listen, but I tell you truly that one day the people will wake up. They will charge up the stairs to the corporate boardrooms and over the walls to the gated communities to find --- silence. File cabinets half opened in the sunlight. Safes emptied completely of their contents. And curtains by half-opened windows flapping gently in the desolate rooms.

You'll see that I was right. But it will be too late, too too late... :(

Well aren't you the messenger of joy:) although most if not all preachers of Christianity will disagree. I do believe the US is the new Babylon. That does not mean the creator ..........the true creator is not here with us now. When you get right down to it it's not a us and them thing. Only us. In the end, we are all one.
Last edited by badspell on 02-16-2008 06:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.
All hear few listen

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 02-17-2008 08:01 AM

Let us not forget that Daniel Ellsberg who released the Pentagon Papers to end the Vietnam War was also arrested at the Crawford ditch.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”