I'm Voting Republican

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 06-13-2008 09:31 PM

Iris wrote: What did I confirm? I've been kicked off this board by Linn before, you know, as have many people I like (and I like people on all sides of the political spectrum). And if I had my choice I'd prefer that Joe wouldn't call people fascists. But I'd also prefer that nobody be banned over this.

How do we know what was even and what wasn't if we haven't read all the private communication that goes on behind the scenes?

Your question as to why a 'privately owned forum should be even' confirmed to me that this one is not moderated evenly. And just so you know, this IS NOT about 'private communication behind the scenes'!!! What has repeatedly happened that I believe has been based on favoritism, has occurred right here out in the open on the board. Many people on this forum communicate 'behind the scenes' as you well know. There are also 'other' lesser known forums where some of those same people post and chit-chat. They are not so easy to find or get into. And then there's the good ol' DU.

I would prefer that no one be banned also. I was merely bringing up the obvious, in that there are those that have been banned/suspended for less, while others have been coddled for far worse. THAT is my only gripe.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 06-13-2008 09:34 PM

racehorse wrote: Hi Jon-Marcus, :)

For the record, I did not receive any apology from joequinn and like you, I do not expect one. He simply deleted his post saying we were Fascists ans "traitors" to this country and should be shot. He also deleted the post saying it was me who he primarily had in mind when he made the first post. I was not surprised by that and told him that I assumed as much.

Those believing calling someone a "Fascist" is simply a political term and not name calling, most likely would feel personally attacked if the political term "Communist" was used to describe them. It would of course be wrong and inappropriate to use it but it would be just as accurate and correct as what we are accused of being. I also do not believe such a description would be tolerated for long here and it shouldn't be but neither should what we are being called routinely. I understand your frustrations completely and share them and wish you the best as always.

Thank you, Racehorse.
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-13-2008 09:34 PM

Jon-Marcus wrote: Point 1;
I'm not quite demanding a ban, but an apology isn't going to be enough. Not by a long shot. If ... I say again ... IF an apology had been offered the FIRST time, I'd have accepted it and expected this mess to have never come up again. Didn't work out that way.
Now again it's happened... and no apology offered. Not to me. Racehorse apparently got one. I didn't, and don't expect to.

Point 2;
Anyone who's taken the time to read my posts should have figured out long ago that I'm ether NOT a fascist ... or one hell of a lier.

point 3;
" private communication that goes on behind the scenes? "
You got to be kidding. There is no private communication here. Not for us normal folks. No PM's. No e-mail. Can't even directly report a post. And I truly doubt Joe would want to give me his home e-mail.

Well, I have no control over any of that. Plus I didn't see whatever got deleted.

I was just trying to lighten things up a little. Guess I'll know better next time, huh?

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 06-13-2008 09:37 PM

Jon-Marcus wrote: point 3;
" private communication that goes on behind the scenes? "
You got to be kidding. There is no private communication here. Not for us normal folks. No PM's. No e-mail. Can't even directly report a post. And I truly doubt Joe would want to give me his home e-mail.

Indubitably sir!!!
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

HB3

Post by HB3 » 06-13-2008 09:38 PM

He simply deleted his post saying we were Fascists ans "traitors" to this country and should be shot.
Wow. Nice.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 06-13-2008 09:40 PM

Iris wrote:

I was just trying to lighten things up a little. Guess I'll know better next time, huh?

Oh for goodness sakes then! Why didn't you say this was all in fun? Just disregard everything I said, and I'll send you some pink shoe polish for that foot mark I put on your shoe! :p :D

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 06-13-2008 09:44 PM

racehorse wrote: Hi Jon-Marcus, :)

For the record, I did not receive any apology from joequinn and like you, I do not expect one. He simply deleted his post saying we were Fascists ans "traitors" to this country and should be shot. He also deleted the post saying it was me who he primarily had in mind when he made the first post. I was not surprised by that and told him that I assumed as much.

Those believing calling someone a "Fascist" is simply a political term and not name calling, most likely would feel personally attacked if the political term "Communist" was used to describe them. It would of course be wrong and inappropriate to use it but it would be just as accurate and correct as what we are accused of being. I also do not believe such a description would be tolerated for long here and it shouldn't be but neither should what we are being called routinely. I understand your frustrations completely and share them and wish you the best as always.
There you go being all reasonable again!

Kidding aside, you've always had my respect Racehorse, but for the life of me I can't understand why you put up with the way you, and Jon, have been treated. Add Cherry Kelly to that list.

And for the record, I have never voted for a Republican. But I do listen when others talk, and give them the same respect I would like to expect to be given.
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 06-13-2008 09:46 PM

62 posts ... and not a peep out of even one moderator.
Gotta be a record.
62 posts... and counting. and over 24 hours.
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-13-2008 09:47 PM

majda wrote: Your question as to why a 'privately owned forum should be even' confirmed to me that this one is not moderated evenly. And just so you know, this IS NOT about 'private communication behind the scenes'!!! What has repeatedly happened that I believe has been based on favoritism, has occurred right here out in the open on the board. Many people on this forum communicate 'behind the scenes' as you well know. There are also 'other' lesser known forums where some of those same people post and chit-chat. They are not so easy to find or get into. And then there's the good ol' DU.

I would prefer that no one be banned also. I was merely bringing up the obvious, in that there are those that have been banned/suspended for less, while others have been coddled for far worse. THAT is my only gripe.

If we were allowed to name other forums here I would be happy to tell you of a couple that are VERY rough and tumble if you liked. People can call you a fascist and you can call them a commie. I even know of one where you can use all the four letter words you like. I could tell you about one that's unevenly moderated in favor of righties. But I don't think that talk is allowed here.

It's not my forum so I don't have any power to confirm anything about it, sorry.

Owners of forums and email lists and boards have a right to run them any way they like. Period. We don't have to like it. We can participate or not. But they don't have to be fair. That's called private ownership (which Republicans always champion, btw). If you don't like private ownership on boards, think of how much you could come to hate private ownership of roads, libraries, parks, and so on.

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 06-13-2008 09:48 PM

majda wrote: Indubitably sir!!!

Oh man! You got to say "indubitably" in a post! I am so f***ing jealous! :D
Dorothy Parker

HB3

Post by HB3 » 06-13-2008 09:49 PM

Yes, but one would expect a "terms of service" provision to be adhered to, otherwise why have it?

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 06-13-2008 09:50 PM

Iris wrote: If we were allowed to name other forums here I would be happy to tell you of a couple that are VERY rough and tumble if you liked. People can call you a fascist and you can call them a commie. I even know of one where you can use all the four letter words you like. I could tell you about one that's unevenly moderated in favor of righties. But I don't think that talk is allowed here.

It's not my forum so I don't have any power to confirm anything about it, sorry.

Owners of forums and email lists and boards have a right to run them any way they like. Period. We don't have to like it. We can participate or not. But they don't have to be fair. That's called private ownership (which Republicans always champion, btw). If you don't like private ownership on boards, think of how much you could come to hate private ownership of roads, libraries, parks, and so on.

I can't believe I just read this!

Worse. Post. Ever.
Dorothy Parker

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-13-2008 09:51 PM

racehorse wrote: Those believing calling someone a "Fascist" is simply a political term and not name calling, most likely would feel personally attacked if the political term "Communist" was used to describe them. It would of course be wrong and inappropriate to use it but it would be just as accurate and correct as what we are accused of being. I also do not believe such a description would be tolerated for long here and it shouldn't be but neither should what we are being called routinely. I understand your frustrations completely and share them and wish you the best as always.

Guess this means you're not going to say HI back? Fine. Be that way.

I didn't see any posts that got deleted, btw.

Tell ya what. I'll be wrong and you can be right and you can feel smug all night. :) But it would have been nice had you at least said HI back.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 06-13-2008 09:52 PM

IronsGold wrote: There you go being all reasonable again!

Kidding aside, you've always had my respect Racehorse, but for the life of me I can't understand why you put up with the way you, and Jon, have been treated. Add Cherry Kelly to that list.

And for the record, I have never voted for a Republican. But I do listen when others talk, and give them the same respect I would like to expect to be given.

Hi Ironsgold, :)

Thanks. Actually, My posts in the political forum since last August have only been in defense of Tiffany and in regard to this latest attack. Real discussion of issues can not occur in an atmosphere such as this one so it is pointless to attempt to.
racehorse

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 06-13-2008 09:52 PM

Iris wrote:

I agree with you. It would be nice however, if the rules of the 'game' were posted so that people knew which way was up. We keep getting the 'rules of the forum' presented to us when someone is punished, and there are any number of people here wondering why those rules aren't evenly handed down. If we knew BEFOREHAND that there were members to whom those rules didn't apply, then we could just breath a sigh, and either move on or move out.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”