I'm Voting Republican

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 06-14-2008 12:53 AM

Iris wrote: LOL! Of course it's all in good spirits! This is sweet of you to say, but nothing you said upset me, dear one. I'd be pretty silly to spend my time here if it were making me upset and angry, wouldn't I?

Love the new avatar! :cool: Sorry if I ruined those pink high heels! :D :D
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 06-14-2008 01:26 AM

So...voting republican really brings out the love, eh?

Feels like a middle-east peace summit in here. :rolleyes:

Regarding the video, I feel it's an interesting way to get political points across in an ironical manner. It is one sided, but very clever.

Stick and stones...words hurt and they cause wars, but they are in fact just words. Intent and relevance inflame the hearts and burns away the chaff leaving nothing but the truth, imo. What do I know. Resentment seeps in from other threads and smells up the place. Love it. Not really. Why don't ya all take this to the community thread like it was requested when the other thread blew up. Start a thread addressing this instead of hijacking a thread and burning this community.

Nothing personal to anyone. I like all of you. Politics aside. ;)
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 06-14-2008 11:25 AM

Iris wrote: .
Owners of forums and email lists and boards have a right to run them any way they like. Period. We don't have to like it. We can participate or not. But they don't have to be fair. That's called private ownership (which Republicans always champion, btw). If you don't like private ownership on boards, think of how much you could come to hate private ownership of roads, libraries, parks, and so on.

Great point as usual. You're right at times it is difficutl when you think one side is getting a different treatment than the other, or if you have an idea to have the personality of the board change for the better of the board. But you have to accept and understand that this is the forum of the owner and whatever slant they want, it's there right. The first time I experience it here was I was Pro-Noory at a time and I thought for the better of the FF as a whole should not be as negative therefore allowing more comfort level for newer C2C fans/Noory fans to participate. It was my opinion at the time, there was kind of a split response to that opinion but it was up to the fourm leaders to decide what attitude is best.

In politics I was on both side, as a liberal I felt comfortable as this site seems to have a left-wing slant so I felt very comfortable with my opinions, but during these primary I was an Obama fan as it seems like it had a pro-Clinton slant. I still felt comfortable with my opinion but I understand I wasn't going to have much of the agreement with people in charge. But I learned to be okay in it and understand it, much more than I did when I was banging my head against the wall about the Noory perception here.

Like Iris said, this is the owners board, we are just guests. If this was something like streamlink that you have to pay to contribute than that's a different story, then there should be an expectation of more concrete rules for all. I am much more concerned about public radio airwaves being controlled by one way of thinking than I am with boards as just like I can find a more pro Noory fourm if I want, we can also find other political talk forums if we think one isn't fair. Like I said I've been on both sides during political debates even just recent, and yes you can sense there is an unbalance how one side is treated compared to the other, but as a poster I just understand that's the nature of things, that doesn't mean you can't have your opinion as I was always comfortable saying my thoughts.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 06-14-2008 12:12 PM

It's funny how you guys suddenly get all free market about this....

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 06-14-2008 12:51 PM

HB3 wrote: It's funny how you guys suddenly get all free market about this....

Just avoid the tomatoes.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 06-14-2008 01:35 PM

Iris wrote: So who's voting for McCain?

I'm voting for his retirement.

On many levels I am conflicted and can see myself embracing ideals from all sides of every party and nothing from any of them as well. Is it time to scrap the whole process? I don't know. Some of you may think me fickle because of this statement. I assure you I am not. My concern is for my children and the legacy that we leave them. What world will we leave them? On one hand I want to protect my own stake of land and protect my own interests and yet knowing that to hang on to this too tightly will cut me off from the outside world. Past experiences show this to be a path of doom.

Our present leaders are so impotent that they are the poster children for political erectile dysfunction in our world making us the laughing stock of the whole world. Except those laughing are countries tainted with the fear that they may soon be invaded or helped by our need for resources.

I don't give a rats ass if Obama is black, male, or is religious at all. Will he SC**W us and fire bomb the world! Will he say he will send troups to end a threat against us and start WWIII? Plain and simple. $5 a gallon gas vs. $18 a barrel crude oil. It's not simple economics. It's taking care of their own pockets at the expense of everyone else's lives. That's our kids they're messing with!

End this now and give me back my freedom from fear. So my fellow pirates, those who feel voting republican would bring about peace and security for our nation and the world, tell me how it's going to happen. Don't tell me you don't post because you don't like what somebody calls you. Sc**w them. Rise above it.

"Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.

J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lord Of the Rings, Book Four, Chapter One
British scholar & fantasy novelist (1892 - 1973)

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-14-2008 01:36 PM

Jon-Marcus wrote: 62 posts ... and not a peep out of even one moderator.
Gotta be a record.
62 posts... and counting. and over 24 hours.

Using your very best sense of logic, what does that tell you and what doesn't it tell you?

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-14-2008 01:44 PM

Majda, thanks about the avatar. :)

Vigo, we could use more Middle East peace summits, and lol about the tomatoes.

OMG, great and thoughtful post! I agree the airwaves bother me much more. It's also not easy knowing the "right" thing to do at all times as a moderator or owner, believe me. It's a tough job. But neither has this thread proven any unfairness or slant.

Wow, Vigo, bravo on your last post!!! Very well said.

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 06-14-2008 02:34 PM

Iris wrote: Using your very best sense of logic, what does that tell you and what doesn't it tell you?

It tells me what I already knew and Captain Fantastic confirmed it this morning.
The rules have changed again.
Be advised people. It's now a violation of forum policy to question forum policy.
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 06-14-2008 02:51 PM

Jon-Marcus wrote: It tells me what I already knew and Captain Fantastic confirmed it this morning.
Be advised people. It's now a violation of forum policy to question forum policy.

Shhh...
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-14-2008 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Jon-Marcus
It tells me what I already knew and Captain Fantastic confirmed it this morning.

Post a thread for discussion in the FF Community thread. The issue is disrupting threads as this one, as Iris and Vigo pointed out here.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-14-2008 03:42 PM

Yahoogroups gives two addresses for each of its thousands of groups.

One is to send posts to the list were everyone can see them.

The other is to send a post just to the moderators/owners. The latter is for use if a group member has a technical question, a moderation question, or a subscription problem.

So it's standard operating procedure on the web to handle all complaints privately. I have that in the list rules on my group and I think most email list owners do. It makes things a lot easier on everyone and the list runs smooth as silk.

Does the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page work and is it for that purpose?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-14-2008 03:57 PM

The 'Contact Us' link does work, although not monitored 24/7, and thank you for pointing that out, Iris.

The 'report a post to moderator' link is not functional, unfortunately - but would send an email alert in the same way.

Jon-Marcus was invited to post a thread in the FF Community if he wanted to discuss the 'new policy'. There seems to be a lot of concern here about these issues, so it seems advisable to have a discussion about it there.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 06-14-2008 05:33 PM

SquidInk wrote: :)

Back at you SquidInk! :)

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 06-14-2008 06:53 PM

Linnea wrote: The 'Contact Us' link does work, although not monitored 24/7, and thank you for pointing that out, Iris.

The 'report a post to moderator' link is not functional, unfortunately - but would send an email alert in the same way.

Jon-Marcus was invited to post a thread in the FF Community if he wanted to discuss the 'new policy'. There seems to be a lot of concern here about these issues, so it seems advisable to have a discussion about it there.

Please check that "contact us" in-box.

I have no intention of starting a new thread to address the "New Policy", as that is not allowed ... according to the ff mission statement.
I have no intention of starting a new thread about my issue with Joe. I tried that once before. My issue is HERE, on THIS thread, where the offense occurred. Which is now a moot point. Further discussion of it is also forbidden it seems.
So screw it. I'm tired of beating my head against this brick wall.
Last edited by Jon-Marcus on 06-14-2008 06:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”