Unconventional Tactics in Denver 2008?

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.


Moderator: Super Moderators

ibme
Pirate
Posts: 649
Joined: 11-26-2006 11:42 AM

Post by ibme » 07-15-2008 06:07 PM

SquidInk wrote: Maybe those lovely murals on the wall at DIA foretold of things to come at the 2008 convention.
You know Squid, if they didn't, how much more nuts would that make the designers?

User avatar
SquidInk
________________
Posts: 5862
Joined: 03-15-2007 03:48 PM

Post by SquidInk » 07-15-2008 08:16 PM

ibme, as you know, the story of DIA is completely nuts from top to bottom already! It couldn't get anymore nuts... could it? :rolleyes:
Last edited by SquidInk on 07-15-2008 08:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

ibme
Pirate
Posts: 649
Joined: 11-26-2006 11:42 AM

Post by ibme » 07-15-2008 08:58 PM

Hope not, with all my heart.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate
Posts: 12851
Joined: 07-29-2000 02:00 AM
Contact:

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-16-2008 10:34 AM

myth busters did a thing on these so called goo guns --

more scare tactics...


BTW - two close friends in Denver are taking their vacations when the convention will be in town... said good for them!

User avatar
Shimmering Auro
Pirate
Posts: 1600
Joined: 12-25-2005 05:59 AM

Post by Shimmering Auro » 07-16-2008 12:11 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: myth busters did a thing on these so called goo guns --

more scare tactics...


BTW - two close friends in Denver are taking their vacations when the convention will be in town... said good for them!


YES! Because as we all know, if it is debunked on Myth Busters, it must be okay.

Right?

Riiiigghhhttt........

PS: You certainly have a lot of close friends and neighbors .... allll over the place, too.
shimmeringaurora(at)yahoo(dot)com

User avatar
SquidInk
________________
Posts: 5862
Joined: 03-15-2007 03:48 PM

Post by SquidInk » 07-16-2008 02:56 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: goo guns -- more scare tactics...

You mean more tactical maneuvers? Then yes, I agree.

From Wikipedia "Free Speech Zone":
Free speech zones were also used in New York City at the 2004 Republican National Convention. According to Mike McGuire, a columnist for the online anti-war magazine Nonviolent Activist, "The policing of the protests during the 2004 Republican National Convention represent[ed] another interesting model of repression. The NYPD tracked every planned action and set up traps. As marches began, police would emerge from their hiding places — building vestibules, parking garages, or vans — and corral the dissenters with orange netting that read 'POLICE LINE – DO NOT CROSS,' establishing areas they ironically called 'ad-hoc free speech zones.' One by one, protesters were arrested and detained—some for nearly two days."[14] Both the Democratic and Republican National parties were jointly awarded a 2005 Jefferson Muzzle from the Thomas Jefferson Center for the Protection of Free Expression, "For their mutual failure to make the preservation of First Amendment freedoms a priority during the last Presidential election".[12]


The era of the "protest" is over. Marching in circles with signs is no longer an acceptable form of free association, or political dissent in the LAND OF THE FREE. In fact more than 500 cops, several hundred FBI agents, and untold numbers of SS (Secret Service) operatives are being employed to deport & detain (in a "first amendment zone") those protesting the convention. Maybe that's evidence enough. In case it's not, the fact that the freedom zone is several hundred meters from the Pepsi center (source ), out of sight, out of earshot, and probably enclosed in a large cage, strung 'round with concertina wire, might get you scratching your head.

If the CITIZENS IN DENVER START A RIOT, be they genuine protesters, or part of a movement to infiltrate & disrupt, it could very easily usher in a new American model - a model which was fully conceptualized by the enemy - a long, long time ago.
Last edited by SquidInk on 07-16-2008 03:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate
Posts: 12851
Joined: 07-29-2000 02:00 AM
Contact:

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-17-2008 11:31 AM

Shimmering Auro - Let's see - myth busters tested the goo guns. They tested them - found an "unpleasant sensation" but not as severe as the claim.

As for your PS comment - so?
The two "close" friends are 1) former schoolmate from my home town area and 2) college friend. I could have included several others who happen to live in or near Denver - a second cousin and his family, friendships formed from over a decade of live chats. The kind of friendships where you share joys and sorrows, family things as well as many other aspects of personal life both in a live chat and privately. So yes, I have formed friendships with people from all across the USA, Canada and a some foreign countries as well. I have family relatives (no further out than 3rd cousins) in almost every State - from both parental sides of the family. We do keep in touch. Is that so difficult to comprehend?

Cherry Kelly
Pirate
Posts: 12851
Joined: 07-29-2000 02:00 AM
Contact:

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-17-2008 11:33 AM

Squid -- note 'scare tactics' is a separate line, but I suppose one could include goo guns as a 'scare tactic' too.

As for the situation that may or may not arise in Denver -- remember 68 -- and yes I have spoken/written about the high numbers of security people that have been requested for the area.

User avatar
lazarus long
Pirate
Posts: 621
Joined: 03-16-2008 10:51 PM

Post by lazarus long » 07-17-2008 11:55 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote:
The two "close" friends are 1) former schoolmate from my home town area and 2) college friend. I could have included several others who happen to live in or near Denver - a second cousin and his family, friendships formed from over a decade of live chats. The kind of friendships where you share joys and sorrows, family things as well as many other aspects of personal life both in a live chat and privately. So yes, I have formed friendships with people from all across the USA, Canada and a some foreign countries as well. I have family relatives (no further out than 3rd cousins) in almost every State - from both parental sides of the family. We do keep in touch. Is that so difficult to comprehend?

comprehend, no, believe, yes. i hate to be the one to come right out and say it, but i really think that you're just making stuff up a lot of the time. just a quick "for example"; the soldier that returned from iraq minus his hands. you claimed that he lost them dismantling wmd's. maybe you really think that you've seen such a soldier. i doubt it. i find it more likely that these examples are fictions conjured right out of the air to suit your needs. maybe i'm wrong, but i really don't think so (if i am wrong, sorry).
as for the 'scare tactics' remark; they don't need tactics anymore. if you're not scared, it's only because you don't believe the truth when you see it. our government is preparing to lock a good percentage of us up. if they don't have a reason (some kind of natural disaster or terrorist strike), they'll just make one. this truth exists INDEPENDENT from your belief. when they hose your neighborhood down with goo and scoop you all up in a backhoe bucket, be sure to let them know that they can't do that, you saw it on myth-busters.
that'll teach 'em.
btw-squid, the government must have some kind of cleaning agent to get rid of the goo when they're done, something that breaks it down. the company that we spoke of could come up with its own anti-goo agent and make sprayers for it. as they sprayed the goo, spray the counteracting agent (that is, if the golf shoe idea doesn't pan out).

User avatar
SquidInk
________________
Posts: 5862
Joined: 03-15-2007 03:48 PM

Post by SquidInk » 07-17-2008 02:47 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Squid -- note 'scare tactics' is a separate line, but I suppose one could include goo guns as a 'scare tactic' too.

As for the situation that may or may not arise in Denver -- remember 68 -- and yes I have spoken/written about the high numbers of security people that have been requested for the area.
Noted, Ck.

Yes, '68...

Well, the world has turned since '68. I hope nobody shows up to "protest". This struggle is far beyond - 40 years beyond - the point where such a tactic would do any good. In fact, the System is now geared for crowd control, they've poured more resources than we can imagine into detailed simulations, exotic "non-lethal" dispersal technologies, and sophisticated photographic equipment.

That's right... when you return home from the protest, your life will never be the same because they have facial recognition cameras, retina scanners designed for use on crowds, and a thousand more inward aiming weapons up their arse(nals). You'll never fly again, or hold a job requiring a background check, or open a checking account - DHS will see to that, no matter who becomes president.

No, in '08 we need a much more subtle approach. One that is direct, and impossible to ignore...
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

User avatar
lazarus long
Pirate
Posts: 621
Joined: 03-16-2008 10:51 PM

Post by lazarus long » 07-17-2008 05:15 PM

the facial recognition software is still in its infancy, unless the dod has kept their progress in this area completely under wraps. it's very difficult, logistically, to program a computer to recognize a face. also, with the retinal scanners, that wouldn't really be effective until a few years down the line when they have developed this and gotten it into the commercial markets. that's how they'll build their retinal database. as of right now, i doubt that they have a very large database at all.
then again, they could have been scanning us all for years now, just putting all of this info together.

ibme
Pirate
Posts: 649
Joined: 11-26-2006 11:42 AM

Post by ibme » 07-17-2008 05:38 PM

In fact, the System is now geared for crowd control, they've poured more resources than we can imagine into detailed simulations, exotic "non-lethal" dispersal technologies, and sophisticated photographic equipment.
Laz, even without the facial recognition technology, they have CROWD CONTROL covered. A goo- gun looks like fun compared to the microwave based "non-lethal" weapons they have. Makes you feel like your burning, or just burn you.

User avatar
SquidInk
________________
Posts: 5862
Joined: 03-15-2007 03:48 PM

Post by SquidInk » 07-17-2008 07:23 PM

lazarus long wrote: the facial recognition software is still in its infancy, unless the dod has kept their progress in this area completely under wraps...


Well lazarus long, I tend to think that all aspects of military technology are several generations ahead of what is generally known. But I could be wrong.

It sounds like you believe the traditional protest is still an effective tool in bringing about change, even when applied to the policies of federal government? Am I wrong?
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

User avatar
lazarus long
Pirate
Posts: 621
Joined: 03-16-2008 10:51 PM

Post by lazarus long » 07-18-2008 12:20 AM

SquidInk wrote: Well lazarus long, I tend to think that all aspects of military technology are several generations ahead of what is generally known. But I could be wrong.

It sounds like you believe the traditional protest is still an effective tool in bringing about change, even when applied to the policies of federal government? Am I wrong?

actually, yes you are wrong. i don't think that protests really amount to much when it comes to politicians and their policies. i also don't think that what we, the people, want from the government influences much of anything either. i do believe in peoples' right to protest, their right to voice their opinion and would really love to start that company to help more people do it in a more efficient fashion, with less likelihood of injuries, fatalities or arrests.
as for the facial recognition thing, you're probably correct. i do remember the government wanting to work with that florida town that was installing all of the cameras to try and work some of the bugs out in real time, but that could just be a red herring.
and ibme, i hear what you're saying. there are always countermeasures for any weapon. wouldn't it be a blast to find the countermeasures for all of their high-tech gadgetry and break them out for the convention? if we could counteract all of their expensive weaponry as quickly as they could deploy it. for the ultimate kiss off, it would be great if the countermeasures were exceedingly cheap and readily available. that would really turn their screw (i'm not even sure what that means).

User avatar
SquidInk
________________
Posts: 5862
Joined: 03-15-2007 03:48 PM

Post by SquidInk » 07-18-2008 09:14 AM

lazarus long wrote: actually, yes you are wrong. i don't think that protests really amount to much when it comes to politicians and their policies. i also don't think that what we, the people, want from the government influences much of anything either. i do believe in peoples' right to protest, their right to voice their opinion and would really love to start that company to help more people do it in a more efficient fashion, with less likelihood of injuries, fatalities or arrests.


I agree on all counts!

With golf spike shoes to thwart the goo, and wrap around Blu Blockers to defeat the scanners, the modern protester could easily be mistaken for a player in the "Royal Flush" Senior Pro-Am Tourney. Just mix in a nine iron, and some water armor - disguised as a Ping Pro sweater. If the "MAN" tries to shake you down, give him a confused look, complain about poor course conditions, and mutter some incoherent non-sense about unplayable lies! :D
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Post Reply

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”