Baked Alaska or.....

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Baked Alaska or.....

Post by Rombaldi » 08-30-2008 06:39 PM

TOP TEN REASONS SARAH PALIN SHOULD NOT BE ELECTED VICE PRESIDENT

#1: Palin opposes a woman's right to choose what to do with her own body, opposing the right to an abortion even for rape victims.

#2: Palin believes that Creationism should be taught in public schools, which runs both counter to well-settled evolutionary science, and to the Constitutional separation of church and state.

#3: Palin is a global warming denier, who (as with her views on evolution) has expressed skepticism about the well-settled science.

#4: Palin opposes listing polar bears as an endangered species, because it means oil and gas companies might have to be just a little bit careful out there.

#5: Palin is rabidly dedicated to drilling in the Artic wildlife refuge, known as ANWR.

#6: Palin is in the midst of a growing ethics scandal, involving the alleged abuse of her gubernatorial power to punish a State Trooper who is her sister's ex-husband, firing a State Commissioner who refused to go along.

#7: Palin called Hillary Clinton a "whiner", even as she cynically tries to woo Clinton voters to the McCain ticket.

#8: Palin has very little experience for the Vice Presidential job, serving less than two years so far of her first term as Governor of a state with fewer residents than Fort Worth, Texas. (Previously, she was Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, pop. 8,500.)

#9: Palin has no foreign policy experience at all, so little in fact that her supporters are reduced to citing Alaska's proximity to Russia.

#10: Palin is virtually untested, unvetted and unknown to Americans, a fact which throws into relief the hypocrisy of the many unfair criticisms leveled at Barack Obama during this campaign.

BONUS REASON, #11: Palin only recently said that she doesn't even know what the job entails, saying on the CNBC show Kudlow and Co. that:

"As for that V.P. talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the V.P. does every day?" (July 2008)

((kudos to the people at DU for this one))
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Re: Baked Alaska or.....

Post by SETIsLady » 08-30-2008 07:37 PM

Rombaldi wrote: #3: Palin is a global warming denier, who (as with her views on evolution) has expressed skepticism about the well-settled science.
This would appear to conflict with McCains position.

http://www.johnmccain.com/climatechange/

OMG
Pirate

Re: Re: Baked Alaska or.....

Post by OMG » 08-31-2008 12:16 AM

SETIsLady wrote: This would appear to conflict with McCains position.

John Kerry isn't usually a guy who delievers a great quote but during the Convention he really had one of the best points of the week when he compared Senator and Candidate McCain.

I like calling it Pre-Rove and Post Rove McCain. Against drilling, now for drilling. Thinks Global Warming is an important issue, now has a Veep who's against science. Heck last week he considers experience as the most important quality of a leader, and then his first decision as possible Prez is put someone who had a cup of coffee as a Governor as second in command.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 08-31-2008 01:06 AM

I copied and sent this to several of my friends. Obviously, some of them forwarded it to someone who took exception with the reasons stated against Palin. I have NEVER, in my entire life on the internet, received such a vulgar, nasty, foul-worded e-mail back as I got from someone who refused to sign a name to it. So I responded in kind.

What's REALLY funny is ... an hour later I got a funny joke from the same e-mail address, signed by someone I know quite well. When I wrote her back I told her how FUNNY the joke was, and how foul-worded her previous e-mail had been. Now she will be wondering who I am. She sent it to my "other" name.

Thanks for your honest points, Rom.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-31-2008 01:11 AM

See Bobbi that is what you get when you try to inform the uninformed who don't want to be informed, am I making any sense.:D

skydancer
Pirate

Post by skydancer » 08-31-2008 02:08 AM

Unless you've lived in Alaska don't cast double ... I managed living there for 21 years.

I do oppose the wolf kills, as I believe nature will handle it.

Yes, there is a problem with global warming on earth, Mars all the way out to Pluto per NASA and all the data they've gathered over the last 40 years.
You might wish to educate yourself better cause its not all man made but a cycle that is happening to our entire Galaxy.

There is so much oil in Alaska that hasn't been tapped - its just a con game by the oil companies. I'm assuming you enjoy paying higher prices at the pump.
Last edited by skydancer on 08-31-2008 02:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-31-2008 10:19 AM

There is so much oil in Alaska that hasn't been tapped - its just a con game by the oil companies. I'm assuming you enjoy paying higher prices at the pump.

The Galaxy or your backyard, what is the difference, oil is polluting and damaging this planet, I prefer to breath and have a clean planet for my grandchildren and all of you. The suppression of alternative clean renewable energy has gone on long enough, I am sick of big oil and the obscene money they make, it is always about money and the hell with the rest of us, not that I don't have compassion for the people of Alaska but they are just one state, what about the rest of the world, everyone I know who lives in that beautiful state is tied to oil and the reason they are there.

No one enjoys higher prices at the pump skydancer, you tell me why the prices are so high, I don't buy the shortage game, they are screwing us over and will continue to as long as they can get away with it, it's this administration who promotes and sanctions it.:mad:

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-31-2008 10:51 AM

skydancer wrote: You might wish to educate yourself better cause its not all man made but a cycle that is happening to our entire Galaxy..
Who here said it was all man made ???? The pirates here are well educated. Obviously we have no control over the natural cycles of the planet. We can control those things that we humans do to effect the climate.

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 08-31-2008 11:01 AM

Who here said it was all man made

No one I can recall LOL I've heard that line used by Republicans when they attempt to dismiss the science behind Global Warming as hysteria on the part of Democrats (their word--not mind--I loathe the word "hysteria"). They seem to think Americans are stupid and can't separate weather from planetary climate changes.

There's a terrific film available through Sundance which examines the American public's growing awareness of Global Warming (I forget its title now) where the film crew took to the road with a truck that spelled something like G_ _b_l W_a_r__ng and at the start of the trip people had a hard time filling in the blanks. The film includes a review of the issue and panels over four years, the scientists battling it out.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-31-2008 11:28 AM

I don't believe in Global Warming, any more than I believe in Global Freezing - I do however believe in Global Cycles. Back in the 1970s the scientists were claiming another ice age - England, Northern Europe, Russia, Canada and yes AK, as well as all northern areas would be under ICE before 2000 - didn't happen did it. Then some of these same scientists come out and now its global warming - and yet our average temperatures have increased what? not even one tenth of a degree in several years time. What we have are global cycles that come and go.

===
As for the object of this thread - yes AK has oil and a lot of it - still untapped, but while you talk Palin - she took on and beat some of those big oil corporations in AK - how many here know that?
===

So She is against abortion - so is the Catholic church - I am for women's right to choose - but only in cases of rape, incest and proven medical and then ONLY in the first trimester (up to start of the second trimester).

So what is wrong with teaching about creationism - not particularly in the science course, but in social studies or history - and include all basic history related religions. After all many wars were started over religious beliefs. There is nothing wrong with presenting all beliefs and theories, but I would keep it to higher grade levels.

As to #6 - maybe people need to hear the FACTS about the ex-brother-in-law or maybe some adults here think it is ok for an officer to taser a young child, drive drunk and commit other things as well. Look up newspaper article from Anchorage regarding this.

---

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 08-31-2008 11:35 AM

CK: Regarding your comments on creationism, abortion, see my post in the thread "Why the RNC makes me sick."

If you truly believe in choice and freedom of religious beliefs, you would be as sickened by the RNC and most especially McC and Palin as I am.

You should be able to live according to your beliefs and life choices, and, I should be able to live by mine, with equal protection under the law and protection from any one party's majority belief.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-31-2008 12:53 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: I don't believe in Global Warming, any more than I believe in Global Freezing - I do however believe in Global Cycles. Back in the 1970s the scientists were claiming another ice age - England, Northern Europe, Russia, Canada and yes AK, as well as all northern areas would be under ICE before 2000 - didn't happen did it. Then some of these same scientists come out and now its global warming - and yet our average temperatures have increased what? not even one tenth of a degree in several years time. What we have are global cycles that come and go.
The question is really not about WHY it's happening, but whether it's happening at all. What role does human activity play in speeding up the process? And do we have a moral responsibility to act to mitigate it? Most naysayers of the climate crisis simply deny that it is happening at all, and do not want to lift a finger to do anything at all about it.
===
As for the object of this thread - yes AK has oil and a lot of it - still untapped, but while you talk Palin - she took on and beat some of those big oil corporations in AK - how many here know that?
===

I guess you haven't been reading most of what's been posted here on this matter. There is MUCH more to this story than you expound here. Do you know about that?
So She is against abortion - so is the Catholic church - I am for women's right to choose - but only in cases of rape, incest and proven medical and then ONLY in the first trimester (up to start of the second trimester).

Then you are at odds with both Palin's and McCain's positions on this issue.
So what is wrong with teaching about creationism - not particularly in the science course, but in social studies or history - and include all basic history related religions. After all many wars were started over religious beliefs. There is nothing wrong with presenting all beliefs and theories, but I would keep it to higher grade levels.

This is NOT what the Creationists want to see, and you know it.
As to #6 - maybe people need to hear the FACTS about the ex-brother-in-law or maybe some adults here think it is ok for an officer to taser a young child, drive drunk and commit other things as well. Look up newspaper article from Anchorage regarding this.

The FACTS are that this was a domestic, family-related matter in regard to which Palin misused her power as governor. She was only concerned because this man was her brother-in-law and there was/is a messy divorce going on. That is quite obvious. Let's turn the tables as you've tried to do elsewhere: If this was a Democratic governor, you'd be hollering 'FOUL!'
Image Anchors Aweigh!

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 08-31-2008 11:28 PM

Joolz said:
The question is really not about WHY it's happening, but whether it's happening at all. What role does human activity play in speeding up the process? And do we have a moral responsibility to act to mitigate it? Most naysayers of the climate crisis simply deny that it is happening at all, and do not want to lift a finger to do anything at all about it.

SETIslady said:
Who here said it was all man made ???? The pirates here are well educated. Obviously we have no control over the natural cycles of the planet. We can control those things that we humans do to effect the climate.

SP said:
The Galaxy or your backyard, what is the difference, oil is polluting and damaging this planet, I prefer to breath and have a clean planet for my grandchildren and all of you. The suppression of alternative clean renewable energy has gone on long enough, I am sick of big oil and the obscene money they make,

Joolz, ShirleyPal, SETIslady:

Applause!!! You three have just explained the problems with Global Warming Deniers' thinking with great simplicity and elegance. I teach biology, and teach three chapters regarding the environment; I know a lot of dry statistics and scientific facts regarding climate change, but you three just hit the heart of it, and explained it far better than I ever have.

Bravo.
Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 09-01-2008 12:16 AM

rumike wrote: Applause!!! You three have just explained the problems with Global Warming Deniers' thinking with great simplicity and elegance. I teach biology, and teach three chapters regarding the environment; I know a lot of dry statistics and scientific facts regarding climate change, but you three just hit the heart of it, and explained it far better than I ever have.

Bravo.

Why, thank ye much, Prof. rumike. :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-01-2008 09:40 AM

Thank you rumike, you know that expression "KISS" most make everything complicated, bet your students could teach us all something, I know my seven year old granddaughter has.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”