McCain Asks For Debate Delay

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 09-25-2008 05:38 PM

Well, this is what has me jumping out of my skin. I'm feeling out of control to begin with, all this financial chaos going on and not a single thing I can do for myself. That's bad enough. But this electioneering McCain is doing and seeing his plastic grin (has he had more plastic surgery recently?) in interviews when he has declared a moritorium on campaigning just makes me angry.

I just saw BO on with Wolf Blitzer and I liked what I saw and heard. Sanity. Reason. Reassurance from a leader who isn't stirring the pot.

Editing to add: I just sat down to play back my soaps from this afternoon and darned if one of the first commercials I go to skip isn't a McPain/Pale-one campaign ad "I'm John MCP and I approve this ad." Way to stop campaign mister liar, liar, pants on fire.
Last edited by Chickadee on 09-25-2008 05:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"We can't solve problems with the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." – Albert Einstein

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-25-2008 07:10 PM

The deal they thought they made today broke down.

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 09-25-2008 08:01 PM

Broke down when McCain stuck his nose in... it was all done and he was a dick
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 09-25-2008 08:21 PM

If this wasn't so infuriating it would be fascinating, watching all this political manuevering with the added enjoyment of seeing McPain and Pale-one self-destructing as they are.

What's going on now is all about playing the blame game. Dems are the majority party, so, if this goes down and we have riots at the banks, it will be the Dem's fault, even though the Repub admin is responsible for the entire fiasco, including The Paulson Plan and shoving it down the Americans and Democrats throats with absolute hysteria (not being sexist LOL) BUT it is the Conservative Repub's in the House who are stone-walling the Paulson Plan saying it is entirely wrong and they have a better plan (but what is it?).

And I think I understand McPaini's motivation for wanting the postpone the debate. He only wants town-hall style debates and tomorrow's is the one on the podium. He's all about getting Obama into a town hall setting, period.
"We can't solve problems with the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." – Albert Einstein

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 09-26-2008 01:29 AM

Maybe it's me.

I just don't see the big problem with McCain suggesting that he and Obama go back to work for a few days doing the jobs they were elected, and are paid to do given the gravity of the current financial situation our country is facing, and the expense / importance of the bailout bill before Congress.

A political ploy?

Not sure that is so terrible either. If the idea of the meeting in the White House belonged to McCain, well, it was pretty shrewd and showed that this politician is not as washed up and finished as some say he is through clenched, bitter teeth - words that often betray the real concern of defeat that is probably behind them. The fact is, the people who should have been sitting together in a room discussing this issue got together to sit in a room and discuss the issue. I still maintain that John McCain is not a candidate who should be underestimated. In a year where the Democrats could not lose, he is keeping the election close, and proving himself to be effective at garnering media attention, shaking things up, and even manipulating the political discourse to his own advantage (something I would not think the Republican candidate would have been able to pull off in this particular election cycle). These aren't words of support mind you, just observation.

Ducking the debate?

Personally, I find the idea that McCain is ducking the debate on foriegn policy to be laughable. It's the debate he has the best shot of "winning" (I think those who have already made up their minds hear mostly what they want to hear out of each candidate anyway. One can well imagine in advance how the comments will come out afterwards...... am I wrong?). The VP delay theory I read of in a different thread is interesting though. Still, setting aside who each of us supports for a moment, I can't help but wonder the following:

1) Why could the debate not be moved to a location near Washington DC and take place on schedule?

2) Why can't the debate realistically be rescheduled if the consideration of the bailout package is still pending before Congress?

Will we all turn in to pumpkins if the debate is delayed? No, the world will go on. There is probably little reason McCain cannot find a way to attend the debate as scheduled, and equally little reason it cannot be rescheduled, or moved given the import of the legislation before Congress.

Can a point not be made for both sides of this argument? Is it not likely that both politicians are playing a game with this now?

Perhaps I am simply in a very contemplative mood tonight.

It seems to me that the occasional mockery of shipmates on the opposite side of the political spectrum on this issue speaks volumes about just how blinded we can become to the ideas, and consideration of the opinions of others when they do not easily mesh with our own.

I say this as someone who has been basically cut off from the news, politics, and Presidential race for most of the past three weeks and has been outside of the conversation. When you come back in and look at it with fresh eyes, it can be startling, and jarring.

It's like witnessing an argument about religion, where the first thing that gets tossed overboard is often civility, and you can't help but scratch your head about how people can be so damn sure they are right about their beliefs, and that others are simply wrong........

Am I insulting everyone by sharing this opinion, and observation after being away for a while? I hope not, because when it comes to the patterns of behavior I am sharing my thoughts on, I'm at the same time looking in the mirror and pointing a finger at the guy in the reflection. I've certainly acted in the same manner as described above before - and sadly, probably will again once I allow myself to get wrapped up back in the world of television news, newspapers, and talk radio. The emotions will build, the knowledge of the issues being discussed will become sharper again, and I will probably find myself posting much as before, foolishly allowing myself to be manipulated by the media, and the candidates (more likely the people who run their campaigns) whom I claim to understand, and believe in.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 09-26-2008 01:43 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 09-26-2008 07:23 AM

Not insulting me, Kaz, can't speak for others LOL

I do think you may not have been quite as in the thick of this as much as we all have been the past few weeks. It is a cumulative effect of watching snake oil salesmen maniuplate things to make their sale.

I saw a brief clip of one of McPain's MANY public, televised appearances after he suspended his campaign to rush back to Washington (and remained in NYC, kept his ads on air, kept his talking heads talking up his talking points, and, appeared on every televised news broadcast that would have him). What I saw disturbed me no end on a vicseral level. He was against a blank background with his sh*t-eating grin on his face, having been asked how the people will respond and said something to the effect of people may see him as the person who solved this financial crisis or not, he'l let it play out and see what people thin--but it was clear he saw himself as the savior of all. It wasn't what he said so much as how he said it, his chest puffed up and his grin became more plastic, more egomaniacal, as if he was the only person on earth who could save the planet.

He frightens me at the core of my soul. This is not a person I want leading the nation. Not with his cavelier attitude towards everyone else's feelings other than his own.
Last edited by Chickadee on 09-26-2008 07:26 AM, edited 1 time in total.

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 09-26-2008 09:34 AM

The Dems are being played by ALL the Rethugs on this. Here's how it works:

1) McCampaign says he's suspending campaign (which he doesn't, but most people won't notice that)

2) McPalin colludes with Bush to hold a "leadership" meeting.

3) When nearing the agreement of the deal, House Rethugs, who were in on this from the start, announce they aren't happy with the deal because it doesn't protect the taxpayer :rolleyes: and therefore we need less regulation.

4) McGramps gets to "work the phones," as Mara Liarson put it ths morning, and appear as the White Knight who fixed the economy.

It's Neocon Rule by Crisis 101. They create a crisis, and because they are evil it's o.k. if people die or, in this case, lose their house, and then rush in to solve the crisis. It's called crazymaking.
Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 09-26-2008 09:36 AM

Huckabee:McCain Mistake Not to Debate

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) _ Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said Thursday that Sen. John McCain made a "huge mistake" by even discussing canceling the presidential debate with Sen. Barack Obama.

McCain's campaign has said the Republican wouldn't participate in the Mississippi debate Friday unless there was a consensus on the financial crisis, but Obama still wants the debate to go on.

Huckabee defeated McCain in the Alabama GOP primary in February.

Huckabee said Thursday in Mobile that the people need to hear both candidates. He said that's "far better than heading to Washington" to huddle with senators.

He said the candidates should level with the people about the financial crisis and say the "heart of this is greed."

Huckabee said he still backs McCain's candidacy, but said the Arizona senator should not have put his campaign on hold to deal with the financial crisis on Wall Street. He said a president must be prepared to "deal with the unexpected."

"You can't just say, 'World stop for a moment. I'm going to cancel everything,'" Huckabee said.

Huckabee also was critical of President Bush's handling of the crisis.

He said to lay the $700 billion obligation on the nation "in 24 hours" amounts to "holding the country hostage."

"I just think the American people ought to be screaming their lungs out, saying to Congress, not so fast. That's our money you're giving away," Huckabee said.

He said the burden of the $700 billion relief package will fall on the next generation and those in their teens and 20s.

Huckabee spoke to reporters before attending a benefit for the Baptist-affiliated University of Mobile. Huckabee is an ordained Southern Baptist minister.

While in Mobile, he also played a little blues guitar with a student group.

Since losing his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, Huckabee said he has formed a political action committee and advises other candidates.

"I don't have any immediate plans to seek office," he said.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article ... 928.120679

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 09-26-2008 10:30 AM

Breaking NewsSen. John McCain will participate in tonight's presidential debate. this is from the front page of CNN

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 09-26-2008 10:40 AM

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm? ... E32560BBBC

McCain will go to debate

By: Politico Staff

September 26, 2008 11:33 AM EST

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) announces: "The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.

The text of a statement from his camapign at about 11:20 a.m. Eastern:

John McCain’s decision to suspend his campaign was made in the hopes that politics could be set aside to address our economic crisis.

In response, Americans saw a familiar spectacle in Washington. At a moment of crisis that threatened the economic security of American families, Washington played the blame game rather than work together to find a solution that would avert a collapse of financial markets without squandering hundreds of billions of taxpayers’ money to bailout bankers and brokers who bet their fortunes on unsafe lending practices.

Both parties in both houses of Congress and the administration needed to come together to find a solution that would deserve the trust of the American people. And while there were attempts to do that, much of yesterday was spent fighting over who would get the credit for a deal and who would get the blame for failure. There was no deal or offer yesterday that had a majority of support in Congress. There was no deal yesterday that included adequate protections for the taxpayers. It is not enough to cut deals behind closed doors and then try to force it on the rest of Congress — especially when it amounts to thousands of dollars for every American family.

The difference between Barack Obama and John McCain was apparent during the White House meeting yesterday, where Barack Obama’s priority was political posturing in his opening monologue defending the package as it stands. John McCain listened to all sides so he could help focus the debate on finding a bipartisan resolution that is in the interest of taxpayers and homeowners. The Democratic interests stood together in opposition to an agreement that would accommodate additional taxpayer protections.

Senator McCain has spent the morning talking to members of the administration, members of the Senate, and members of the House. He is optimistic that there has been significant progress toward a bipartisan agreement now that there is a framework for all parties to be represented in negotiations, including Representative Blunt as a designated negotiator for House Republicans. The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.

© 2008 Capitol News Company, LLC
racehorse

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 09-26-2008 11:20 AM

The difference between Barack Obama and John McCain was apparent during the White House meeting yesterday, where Barack Obama’s priority was political posturing in his opening monologue defending the package as it stands. John McCain listened to all sides so he could help focus the debate on finding a bipartisan resolution that is in the interest of taxpayers and homeowners. The Democratic interests stood together in opposition to an agreement that would accommodate additional taxpayer protections.

What a load of Conservative Republican horse-puckey.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 09-26-2008 11:34 AM

Political stunt, as I said in another thread.

lazarus long
Pirate

Post by lazarus long » 09-26-2008 12:33 PM

rumike wrote: The Dems are being played by ALL the Rethugs on this. Here's how it works:

1) McCampaign says he's suspending campaign (which he doesn't, but most people won't notice that)

2) McPalin colludes with Bush to hold a "leadership" meeting.

3) When nearing the agreement of the deal, House Rethugs, who were in on this from the start, announce they aren't happy with the deal because it doesn't protect the taxpayer :rolleyes: and therefore we need less regulation.

4) McGramps gets to "work the phones," as Mara Liarson put it ths morning, and appear as the White Knight who fixed the economy.

it's funny that you mention that this is a typical republican response as when i heard about it, i thought it reminded me of hillary and the deal not to count the votes in the states with early caucuses.

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 09-26-2008 01:00 PM

and therefore we need less regulation.

And privitization, let's not forget the alternate plan calls for a private insurance conglomerate from which investment banks purchase insurance for liquid stocks to make them more appealing to, guess who, more wealthy bankers and overseas investors with deep pockets. None of this has a single thing to do with protecting tax payers.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 09-26-2008 01:13 PM

McCain made a 'McAss' of himself.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cHKlhxzjkCc&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cHKlhxzjkCc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”