Indictment: Illinois Governor tried to sell Obama Senate sea

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

racehorse
Pirate

Indictment: Illinois Governor tried to sell Obama Senate sea

Post by racehorse » 12-09-2008 11:04 AM

This is very disturbing and sad news. It is always a disappointment when a public official shows such contempt to the people who elected him or her and betrays the public trust in such a contemptible manner. If the Governor is Guilty of this, the punishment should and will likely be severe.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=6545958

Indictment: Gov tried to sell Obama Senate seat

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Governor Rod Blagojevich was arrested on federal charges Tuesday morning at his Northwest Side home.

LIVE news conference at 11 a.m. CST on ABC7Chicago.com

# Highlights of the criminal complaint: Chuck Goudie spells out the highlights of the 78-page indictment

# Gov. Blagojevich taken into custody
Story continues below

A source told ABC7's Chuck Goudie that Gov. Blagojevich was taken into federal custody at his home on Sunnyside around 7 a.m. His chief of staff, John Harris, was also arrested.

"There was no advance notice given to either individual," said Ross Rice, FBI.

The affidavit was unsealed around 8:30 a.m. That affidavit accused Gov. Blagojevich of, among other things, trying to obtain campaign contributions up front in consideration of an appointment to the Senate seat left open by Pres.- Elect Barack Obama. From the affidavit:

Later on November 3, 2008, ROD BLAGOJEVICH spoke with Advisor A.
By this time, media reports indicated that Senate Candidate 1, an advisor to the President-elect, was interested in the Senate seat if it became vacant, and was likely to be supported by the President-elect. During the call, ROD BLAGOJEVICH stated, "unless I get something real good for [Senate Candidate 1], s--t, I'll just send myself, you know what I'm saying."

ROD BLAGOJEVICH later stated, "I'm going to keep this Senate option for me a real possibility, you know, and therefore I can drive a hard bargain. You hear what I'm saying. And if I don't get what I want and I'm not satisfied with it, then I'll just take the Senate seat myself." Later, ROD BLAGOJEVICH stated that the Senate seat "is a f-ing valuable thing, you just don't give it away for nothing."

He is also accused of threatening to withhold state assistance to the owner of the Chicago Tribune in the sale of Wrigley Field. The charges contend that -- in return for state assistance -- Blagojevich allegedly wanted members of the paper's editorial board who had been critical of him fired.

Blagojevich also allegedly used his authority as governor in an attempt to squeeze out campaign contributions.

Read the full criminal complaint against Gov. Rod Blagojevich and Chief of Staff John Harris

According to the source, the governor is now at FBI headquarters on the city's West Side, where he is in the custody of federal authorities.

Officials are expected to hold a news conference at 11 a.m. CST. Gov. Blagojevich may also make a court appearance.

The feds have been investigating pay-to-play politics for three years in Illinois on how the state has hired on state jobs. They did not release details about he charges.

Lieutenant Governor Pat Quinn, reached by phone at home, tells ABC7 News "I've heard the reports but I don't know whether it's true or not."

Illinois' lieutenant governor says he has not been told of Governor Blagojevich's arrest by federal authorities "through any official channels" but is heading to the Thompson Center now to await more information.

"The Governor remains the Governor... The presumption is you're always innocent until proven guilty," said Quinn.

The governor has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.

"I've got nothing but sunshine hanging over me," Blagojevich said Monday.

The governor's black, state-owned SUV remained parked in his driveway. An Illinois State Police car as well as Chicago police were on the corner. It's unclear whether Illinois' first lady or the couple's two daughters were home.

A member of the governor's security detail declined comment outside Blagojevich's home. When pressed by a reporter as to the status of the governor's state police protection details, he said "there's no change in our status."

"We do have other, capable leadership in the state," said Congressman Danny Davis. "We should try to put this matter behind us as soon as we can."

On Monday, Gov. Blagojevich spoke about reports that federal investigators had recorded him as part of their corruption probe. Blagojevich said his conversations were "always lawful."

His confidant, John Wyma, reportedly cooperated with the federal agents.

"I should say if anybody wants to tape my conversations, go right ahead, feel free to do it," said Blagojevich Monday. "I appreciate anybody who wants to tape me openly and notoriously, and those who feel like they want to sneakily and wear taping devices, I would remind them that it kind of smells like Nixon and Watergate."

Blagojevich fundraiser Tony Rezko awaits sentencing on a federal corruption conviction in which he was charged with shaking down businesses wanting to do state work for campaign contributions.
racehorse

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 12-09-2008 11:32 AM

How can anyone be so arrogant and stupid as this Gov?

Boggles the mind. Infuriating and embarassing.
"We can't solve problems with the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." – Albert Einstein

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 12-09-2008 11:57 AM

What a maroon. Lock him up and throw away the key.
Anchors Aweigh!

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 12-09-2008 02:21 PM

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

Fitzgerald: 'Political corruption spree' would 'make Lincoln roll over in his grave'

At a Chicago press conference, U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald -- interesting few years he's had -- told reporters that Blagojevich had embarked on "a political corruption crime spree" that prompted prosecutors to take extraordinary members. The FBI bugged Blagojevich's campaign office and tapped his home phone. Fitzgerald said the most "cynical" aspect of the case was Blagojevich's "attempt" to sell Obama's vacant Senate seat. "The conduct would make Lincoln roll over in his grave," he said. Fitzgerald was also quick to distance Obama from the case.

"The complaint makes no allegations about the president-elect whatsoever, his conduct," he said.

------------------------

Further information just coming out is that Obama's Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel is the one who blew the whistle, the the IDJIT tried to contact Emanuel to get him to leverage the scam....
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 12-09-2008 08:19 PM

NOW I'm hearing this probably will not be a criminal offense, because no one has (as of yet...) any PROOF that anyone has ever exchanged money with him for a position. In fact, one commentator just said that without "favors" actually being exchanged, the charges will be dropped. Unless, of course, more taped evidence surfaces of his Office completing a deal.

Nevertheless, NOT the kind of person I'd want as my own governor.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-09-2008 08:20 PM

rumike wrote: What a maroon. Lock him up and throw away the key.
I agree Rumike, this is another sad day for my home State of IL. Perhaps he and Governor Ryan can share a cell. :rolleyes:

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 12-09-2008 09:23 PM

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081209/D94VGC1O0.html

Ill. lawmakers prepare to decide Obama replacement

Dec 9, 6:53 PM (ET)

By CHRISTOPHER WILLS

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Top Illinois lawmakers said Tuesday that they are preparing to call the Legislature into session as early as next week to set a special election, hoping to avert the possibility of an indicted governor picking the state's next U.S. senator.

House Speaker Michael Madigan, D-Chicago, said he is ready to convene the House on Monday to vote on a special election that would choose the successor to President-elect Barack Obama.

The move follows the arrest of Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who was taken into custody early Tuesday and accused of seeking money or other favors to influence his choice in picking Obama's replacement.

"Today's events are shocking and disappointing. It represents a new low for conduct by public officials," Madigan said in a statement.

Illinois Senate President Emil Jones said he would also call senators back for a special session.

"The faith of the citizens of Illinois has once again been shaken," Jones said.

The governor, who faces fraud and bribery counts, was freed on $4,500 bail. Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., urged the state House and Senate to settle on a special election that could withstand a Blagojevich veto.

"No appointment by this governor, under these circumstances, could produce a credible replacement," Durbin told reporters in Washington.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., made similar remarks and called for a process to fill the vacancy that does not involve Blagojevich. The charges against the governor, Reid said, "are appalling and represent as serious a breach of the public trust as I have ever heard."

Durbin, the Senate's second-ranking Democratic leader, said his state faces a messy and uncertain future with Blagojevich holding the power to name someone to finish the last two years of Obama's term.

Special elections are costly, Durbin acknowledged, but it might be coupled with a special election that will be needed to replace Rep. Rahm Emanuel. The Chicago Democrat will resign his seat soon to become Obama's White House chief of staff.

The Constitution requires House vacancies to be filled by elections. Senate vacancies can be filled by appointment, and Illinois, like most states, gives the power to the governor.

Blagojevich must be presumed innocent until proven guilty, Durbin said, but if the charges against him are true, "he has clearly abused the public trust."
He did not call for the governor to resign.

Durbin said his relationship with the governor has been cordial but not close. Blagojevich waited 12 days to return a phone call from Durbin requesting a discussion of the Obama vacancy, the senator said.

The two men discussed about 20 possible replacements, Durbin said, and Blagojevich made no hint that he was seeking payments or other favors in making his choice.

Durbin said Blagojevich's arrest should not cast a shadow over Obama's inauguration and early days as president because there was nothing improper about their relationship.

Durbin said he worried that Obama's former seat could remain vacant for months. With Senate Democrats only a few votes short of a filibuster-proof majority in the Congress that will convene next month, a vacancy could make it harder to pass Obama-backed measures "during a critical period in American history," Durbin said.

The Senate could refuse to seat a person appointed by Blagojevich. Several would-be senators have been rejected that way, usually when their election was corrupted or deeply in question.

The last appointed person to be refused a seat came from Alabama in 1913, when the Senate concluded the Legislature had not given the governor the power to fill a vacancy, said Senate associate historian Don Ritchie.

---

Associated Press writer Chuck Babington in Washington contributed to this report.
racehorse

pennylane7
Pirate

Post by pennylane7 » 12-09-2008 09:41 PM

Lock this crook ( mild name I have chosen ) and throw away the key......and then let's get the rest out who even think about this!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 12-09-2008 10:23 PM

Democrats are such lightweights compared to Republicans when it comes to scandals. But this guy's scandals are extreme.

What on earth was he thinking? When he stood right there in front of the cameras and he knows his office is bugged and he tries to hawk his wares on camera... one can only conclude the guy is mentally unbalanced. I hope he gets whatever it is he deserves, be that jail or medical help.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 12-09-2008 10:39 PM

http://illinoishomepage.net/content/fulltext/?cid=54891

Governor's Power
Reported by: Blake Wood / WCIA 3 & MyCFN News

Tuesday, Dec 9, 2008 @06:24pm CST

SPRINGFIELD - If the governor decides to remain in office and not step down state lawmakers doubt he'll last long.

Political experts say the governor has three choices wait out a trial, resign now or face impeachment.

The governor still has the power to sign bills and even appoint someone to fill President-Elect Barack Obama’s vacant U.S. senate seat. Even though the governor has been charged he only loses those powers if he's convicted.

In order for lawmakers to impeach the governor house and senate leaders have to call a special session. Senate President Emil Jones is calling on lawmakers to come back, but only to try and fill Obama's senate seat. So far no one has laid out a timetable for any impeachment.

If the governor did resign from office power would immediately be transferred to Lieutenant Governor Pat Quinn. Political experts say that would be the smoothest transition.

“Obviously a scenario like what happened with Elliott Spitzer the governor of New York would be the cleanest thing and this may be the point where he has the best chance to make a deal with the prosecutors,” said UIS Political Science Professor Dr. Kent Redfield.

Redfield believes the governor will resign before any impeachment process can begin.

Even if Blagojevich does appoint someone to fill Obama’s seat the senate still has to approve that nomination.

Redfield doubts that would happen if they knew that nominee was being appointed by what he calls a tainted governor.
racehorse

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 12-10-2008 12:11 AM

The arrogance of this Governor, who ironically ran as a reformer who would root out corruption in Illinois state government is beyond comprehension. He thought he was a king, more powerful than the President-Elect. Truly unbelievable.

As this story unfolds, it will be quite interesting to see if any of the potential candidates for the Senate seat were willing to pay for it.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 12-10-2008 12:26 AM

If Illinois actually changes the way it fills US Senate vacancies and moves to Special Elections instead of Gubernatorial appointments because of Blagojevich's apparent corruption, it is very possible the GOP will pick this seat up. There is some speculation that Former Governor Jim Edgar, a Moderate Republican would be willing to contest the seat. He was hugely popular when he was Governor and remains so today. It would be quite ironic that Blagojevich would be the cause of Republicans gaining a crucial US Senate seat where we had no opportunity otherwise.
racehorse

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 12-10-2008 12:47 AM

Iris wrote: Democrats are such lightweights compared to Republicans when it comes to scandals. But this guy's scandals are extreme.
Indeed, Randi officially declared him a (dis)Honorary Republican for his absolute corruptness.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 12-10-2008 12:59 AM

Rombaldi wrote: Indeed, Randi officially declared him a (dis)Honorary Republican for his absolute corruptness.

Blagojevich is all yours, Rom. You own him. He chose your side and you were happy to have him. Now, you are stuck with him. ;) :D
Last edited by racehorse on 12-10-2008 01:17 AM, edited 1 time in total.
racehorse

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-10-2008 11:16 AM

Blagojevich Could Still Fill Senate SeatBy CHRISTOPHER WILLS, AP

(Dec. 10) — Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich could still appoint someone to fill Barack Obama's U.S. Senate seat despite charges that he tried to barter it away for cash or a plum job in what prosecutors call "a political corruption crime spree."

But it would take a lot of nerve and Blagojevich would have to hurry because state lawmakers are racing to snatch away his power to appoint a new senator and put it in the hands of voters.
"No appointment by this governor, under these circumstances, could produce a credible replacement," U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin said Tuesday after the governor was arrested on charges of conspiring to commit fraud and soliciting bribery.
Until state lawmakers call a special election, though, Blagojevich still has the power to fill the Senate seat left vacant by President-elect Obama.

"He is still the sitting governor of Illinois today, now, and that is not something we have any say in or control of," U.S. Attorney Patrick J. Fitzgerald said in unveiling corruption charges against the 52-year-old governor.
Obama was not accused of any wrongdoing. "I had no contact with the governor or his office, and so I was not aware of what was happening," the president-elect said.
The governor returned to work Wednesday, leaving his home on Chicago's North Side and waving to the media before quickly getting into a dark SUV without talking to the reporters.
A short time later, the SUV arrived at his office at the state office building. The vehicle pulled into an underground garage, driving past the mass of photographers gathered outside.
Prosecutors stepped in and had the governor arrested Tuesday because he was on "what can only be called a political corruption crime spree," Fitzgerald said.
Speaker Michael Madigan, D-Chicago, said he is prepared to call the Illinois House into session as early as Monday to set a special election to fill the seat. Illinois Senate President Emil Jones said he had something similar in mind.
http://news.aol.com/article/blagojevich ... 1200931825

This is double edged sword, would hate to see it go to a special election and take the chance that the Dems lose a Senate seat.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”