Brilliant Quotes from the head of the GOP

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Brilliant Quotes from the head of the GOP

Post by Rombaldi » 10-10-2009 11:13 PM

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/politi ... marks.html

Rush Limbaugh's 10 Dumbest Remarks
by Christopher Bateman

March 31, 2009, 1:00 AM

Rush Limbaugh’s three-decade career in radio has produced some of the dumbest statements ever uttered. To coincide with Michael Wolff’s article on Limbaugh from the new issue, VF.com presents a list of the schlock jock’s 10 most asinine pronouncements:

1. “There is no conclusive proof that nicotine’s addictive... And the same thing with cigarettes causing emphysema, lung cancer, heart disease.”

2. “Columbus saved the Indians from themselves.”

3. "He is exaggerating the effects of the disease. He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act... This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting."

4. “[African Americans] are twelve percent of the population. Who the hell cares?”

5. “Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.”

6. “Feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream.”

7. “We are a growing country and everybody needs energy! We're not going to stay the United States if we start reducing energy usage. Conservation is not the answer.”

8. To a black caller: “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.”

9. On torture at Abu Ghraib: “This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation. And we're going to ruin people's lives over it, and we're going to hamper our military effort, and then we are going to really hammer them because they had a good time. You know, these people are being fired at every day. I'm talking about people having a good time, these people—you ever heard of emotional release? You ever heard of need to blow some team off?”

10. “Screw the world. Do you really think we ought to govern ourselves based on what the world thinks of us?”
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 10-12-2009 01:10 PM

Limbaugh is a bloviating idiot, although entertaining at times, but I agree in spirit, at least, with #10.

Why should we be concerned with what the world thinks when it comes to governing ourselves, within our own borders?

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-12-2009 01:47 PM

Biker wrote:

Why should we be concerned with what the world thinks when it comes to governing ourselves, within our own borders?

I agree Biker.

As for Rush, he is no more (or as much) of an idiot than some of his media counterparts on the left that I can think of (and yes, he is more entertaining). ;)
Last edited by racehorse on 10-12-2009 01:50 PM, edited 1 time in total.
racehorse

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 10-12-2009 01:48 PM

Oh, I agree. Olbermann comes to mind.

Biker ;)
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-12-2009 01:51 PM

Biker wrote: Oh, I agree. Olbermann comes to mind.

Biker ;)

He sure does. :D ;)
racehorse

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-12-2009 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Biker
Limbaugh is a bloviating idiot, although entertaining at times, but I agree in spirit, at least, with #10.

Biker

Biker, and Racehorse - could you please explain in practical terms how 'governing ourselves, within our own borders' could work in a global enviornment - and especially as a large portion of how we govern ourselves involves subsidizing global corporations and waging wars outside our borders?

This is one aspect of libertarianism, and 'Buchanan' Republicanism - and Ron Paul - I do not understand. How does this work? Leave America Alone, but govern ourselves in such a way we have an incredible aggressive impact on the global scene?

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 10-12-2009 02:48 PM

I could be wrong Linnea, and I am certain that others here can speak for more authoritatively on Ron Paul, but I believe he advocates the idea of essentially pulling our troops out of nearly every foriegn base and returning them to American soil (an idea that I think is both tempting, and impractical).

As for the global corporate economy, I can't really comment on where Ron Paul stands.

YouTube.com
Last edited by Kaztronic on 10-12-2009 02:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-12-2009 02:49 PM

On another topic here, Rush Limbaugh - how is a civilized person 'entertained' by a person fomenting violence, promoting hatred and biogotry, promoting pervasive anarchy against an elected government, and etc.? I really don't 'get it'.

I have already gone 'on record' here with extreme distaste with much of what Olbermann does. And, we never seem to be able to arrive at any sort of truth regarding Rush Limbaugh without comparing and contrasting him with other bloviators.

Just as a 'stand alone', how is there anything admirable or entertaining about Rush Limbaugh?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-12-2009 02:59 PM

Hey, Kaz. What I am trying to understand, basically, is how 'we' in this country - go so willingly to polarizing positions (as though we were all spectators in a coliseum) - when common cause and reasonable dialoguing is what we so desperately need.

The libertarian 'model' seems too extreme in a global world. Yet, how we are currently governing ourselves - obviously isn't working out very well. We are subsumed in a system which only rewards global corporations.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-12-2009 03:03 PM

I do not support a policy of American Isolationism, as I believe Ron Paul essentially does. Pat Buchanan's foreign policy views are somewhat more complex but not his economic ones.

I believe the United States should govern itself in what we feel are our best interests even if almost the whole of the rest of the world disagrees. We should , however, as we have traditionally done try to convince them of the correctness of these policies.

As for Rush Limbaugh, I reject the premise that he either promotes hatred or bigotry (I feel this largely is true of Glenn Beck, however). That is simply not the case. These assertions are most often made by his media counterparts and other partisans on the left who take Limbaugh's statements out of context in an effort to distort and portray him in a false light in my estimation. I disagree with much of what he says (probably at least half) but Limbaugh has always had this country's best interests at heart and I have considerable doubts about some in the media who assail him.
Last edited by racehorse on 10-12-2009 03:07 PM, edited 1 time in total.
racehorse

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 10-12-2009 03:16 PM

The Libertarian model is fascinating in my opinion, and very difficult to categorize - personally, I do not believe that which you describe representative of an overall "Libertarian model", I don't think that their actually is a Libertarian model of governing.

I see absolutely no cohesion or clear message within Libertarian circles to be honest. The political stances of those declaring themselves to be Libertarian seems to represent the ideals of a bunch of old hippies, and a bunch of right-wingers, all at the same time - so does the membership. I cannot imagine them rallying behind a common candidate, nor a common platform.

Perhaps "Libertarian" is simply an umbrella term for some of those in opposition to our obviously rigged two-party system (in truth a one-party system).

As for Ron Paul's calls to bring ALL of our troops home, it may seem extreme, but given the perpetual war state this nation has found itself in since WWII - and the current state of "world peace", perhaps his approach should be more carefully considered and studied by some of those think tanks so busily occupied on behalf of the two/one party system currently setting policy.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 10-12-2009 03:57 PM

racehorse wrote:

As for Rush Limbaugh, I reject the premise that he either promotes hatred or bigotry (I feel this largely is true of Glenn Beck, however). That is simply not the case. These assertions are most often made by his media counterparts and other partisans on the left who take Limbaugh's statements out of context in an effort to distort and portray him in a false light in my estimation. I disagree with much of what he says (probably at least half) but Limbaugh has always had this country's best interests at heart and I have considerable doubts about some in the media who assail him.

Some quotes from the Rush Limbaugh time machine:

"I don't give a hoot that [Columbus] gave some Indians a disease that they didn't have immunity against"

To an African-American caller:
"Take that bone out of your nose and call me back"

"Have you ever noticed that all newspaper composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

"The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies"

On the reasons behind the NYC marathon victory of a Mexican National in 1992:
"An immigration agent chased him for the last 10 miles"

Anyone remember him always playing the theme song to "The Jeffersons" whenever Senator Carol Mosley-Braun's name was mentioned on the program?

Regarding a callers claim that African-Americans need to be heard:
"They are 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?"

"Feminism was established so that unattractive women could have easier access to the mainstream of society".

"I'm tired of hostile women. I'm tired of colleges that turn out female graduates that are prepared to be raped or beat up or discriminated against somehow, and are just waiting for some man to discriminate, take advantage, or be cruel, unkind, or whatever.

"There are god-given roles. There is human nature. And what's happening here is that there's a group of people - for some reason, women - militant women - not all, that are upset with their god-given role in human nature, and they're trying to change it and trying to alter it, and you can't."

"Columbus saved the Indians from themselves"

I will vociferously defend Rush's right to host that program and speak his mind free of government interference in the form of some "fairness doctrine" if that ever comes up again, but make no mistake, the man is a scumbag.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 10-12-2009 04:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-12-2009 04:06 PM

Thanks for the Limbaugh quotes, Kaz. This is exactly what I meant. Within certain circles I suppose this could pass as entertainment - and if not in public venues - unfortunately it does go on. But to hold this up as having entertainment value in a very public media - is disheartening. Very much so.

Why are there those who would defend this as 'simply entertainment'?

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-12-2009 04:13 PM

I stand by my statement regarding Rush Limbaugh. I listen to him almost every day for at least a portion of his show. He is neither a racist or a bigot. Context is everything!
racehorse

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-12-2009 04:59 PM

Well, Racehorse - you keep dancing around the issue in a clever demur, and will not engage. ;)

Can you then provide 'any context' in which 'any of the above' quoted statements of Rush Limbaugh are reasonable or acceptable in public discourse in contemporary America?

I am really curious as to your point of view on this issue, and how you have constructed your opinion.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”