Breaking: 7 Fatally Shot At Ft. Hood

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-09-2009 12:51 PM

Originally posted by HB3
One thing that occurs to me is they're in many ways speaking the language of American leftist extremism -- talk of American "genocide," colonial racism, etc. etc. You can see why the American left would be so sympathetic, and so outraged when the facts are presented. Creepy!

And that, on this third day of mayhem on the Fantastic Forum, and without apology for all that has gone before, is a reach too far.

Your 'jihad' on the Fantastic Forum is ended with that statement.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 11-09-2009 01:22 PM

Live365 wrote: If it appears that there is a bit of an “in-crowd” here, there’s a reason for it. There is. An in-crowd. It’s what happens when people have been together for upwards of seven years. My chief complaint from the beginning of all this is when relative newbies come in and start screaming and yelling about how things are supposed to be. You can’t come late to someone else’s party, throw your coats all over, consume the beer and chips and dance in the middle of the room with a lampshade on your head, and then complain that you don’t like the music. Get to know a person before you start attacking their avatar. can’t get along with each other, then shame. Shame on us all.

Having 300 or so posts doesn't exactly put me in the newbie realm. I have been in and out of this forum for years. Perhaps input from the "outside" is just what is needed sometimes. I did read the concern that people are being driven away.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-09-2009 02:07 PM

You can’t come late to someone else’s party, throw your coats all over, consume the beer and chips and dance in the middle of the room with a lampshade on your head, and then complain that you don’t like the music.
Sure you can, Live - if you're cheerful and savvy, witty even - and you're not throwing water balloons at the other partiers. 'Getting to know you' can be a wondrous thing. In fact, we definitely encourage it. Otherwise we are heading for a singularity in a blackhole of our own 'weightiness'.

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 11-09-2009 05:08 PM

Hey! Is the "No Water Balloons" a hard and fast rule?!
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 11-10-2009 04:48 AM

joequinn wrote: The unanswered question: was the Ford Hood Incident (which, perhaps not accidentally, was staged on Guy Fawkes Day) a generalized military uprising against the Obama Administration, especially in light of his escalation of the fundamentally unwinable Afghan War?

Enquiring minds wanna know...

So many angles here again. I missed the possible significance of this happening on Guy Fawkes Day, and for that I feel somewhat negligent. This tragedy can certainly be used as an excuse for a purge of Muslums within the military, which would be a disaster, and it could include those who sympathize by defaullt because of the reality of pluralism within our culture. The 'politically correct' angle was almost immediately taken up, as well as avoided by various elements in the media.
Also I personally don't know how individuals in the military feel about the win-ability of the war in Afghanistan. I assume they would want some kind of satisfaction in contrast to what happened in Vietnam. And the similarities with that war are somewhat eerie. Especially when the Karzai government which NATO is trying to support is more concerned with its own self-aggrandizement than for the betterment of the country as a whole.
Like I said before I do believe Maj. Hasan 'snapped' fundamentally, but there's no reason to assume that someone didn't exploit his predisposition to 'snap'.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-10-2009 10:01 AM

I've been reading and re-reading posts from past few days.

A "time out" just as parents do with children...doubt it would work for adults, but at times it works to step away - on these hot issues and return to them after taking that deep breath (or three).

The shooting at Ft Hood is a terrible tragedy - with so many speculations on the why, how did they miss the signs of problems? Speculation because several news sources comments are based on -- questions that cannot be answered at this time.

--
On a side note - local guy (whom I do know from our bowling league) was there when it happened. He is a paramedic.
--

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 11-10-2009 10:48 AM

The assumption behind my hypothesis is that the entire event was quite different from what we have been told. The interesting thing is that the alleged perpetrator is still alive. If he should die (for whatever reason) before he can be put on trial, then the probability that the entire current explanation is disinformation rises considerably. Let us see if the defendant stays alive for the trial...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

SETIsLady
Pirate

Imam Tied to Fort Hood Shooter "Killed"

Post by SETIsLady » 12-24-2009 10:41 AM

SANAA (Reuters) - A radical Muslim preacher linked by U.S. intelligence to a gunman who killed 13 people at a U.S. Army base is believed to have died in a Yemen airstrike on al Qaeda militants, a security official said on Thursday.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... id=9414764

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”