Breaking: 7 Fatally Shot At Ft. Hood

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-08-2009 02:00 AM

Originally posted by HB3
I'm horrified, Linnea. I'm in despair. I'm sorry, truly, if I can't be more coherent.

You make my point, HB. Every sincere and open dialog I attempt to engage in with you - and there have been many - eventually results in this kind of tone. It's demeaning. Soon the veiled insults will emerge.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-08-2009 02:01 AM

Sorry...?

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 11-08-2009 02:01 AM

Kobayashi Maru
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-08-2009 02:02 AM

"There's no way to win."

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 11-08-2009 02:05 AM

Unless you reprogram the simulator......

And if you don't mind my saying so, you're no Captain Kirk :p
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 11-08-2009 02:05 AM

HB3 wrote: I'm reporting you to the CHRC!

Canadian Heritage Restoration Committee?
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-08-2009 02:05 AM

Here's some of the LA Times piece....
Reporting from Killeen, Texas, and Silver Spring, Md.--Over the last few weeks, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan drove off the vast Army base at Ft. Hood, Texas, at least a dozen times to enjoy seafood dinners with Duane Reasoner Jr., an 18-year-old he was mentoring in the ways of Islam.

They would pray at the simple Masjidu-Ttaqwa prayer hall out along the highway, hit the all-you-can-eat buffet at the Golden Corral and then rush back for evening worship. Twice they drove to Hasan's one-bedroom apartment to pick up books or to talk.

Only once--on Wednesday, the night before Hasan allegedly shouted, "Allahu akbar!" pulled out two guns and opened fire on dozens of fellow soldiers--did the dinner talk stray from religion.

"He said he didn't want to go to Iraq or Afghanistan," said Reasoner, who was raised as a Catholic. "He didn't want to be deployed. He said Muslims shouldn't be in the U.S. military, because obviously Muslims shouldn't kill Muslims. He told me not to join the Army."

And around 1:30 p.m. the next day, authorities say, Hasan, a 39-year-old military psychiatrist, went on the shooting rampage at Ft. Hood that left 13 people dead and at least 38 wounded. Hasan was shot by two civilian police officers and remains hospitalized in stable condition with multiple gunshot wounds.

On Friday, agents were trying to find a motivation for the attack, retracing the suspect's steps in the last days and months, interviewing colleagues, neighbors, friends and family to glean details about Hasan's life--and whether he was moved, at least in part, by radical Islamic ideology.

But officials also warned the public against drawing conclusions about the attack until more facts are known. President Obama said as much at the White House, as did Army Chief of Staff Gen. George W. Casey Jr. at Ft. Hood.

Much of the furious hunt for answers Friday occurred behind closed doors, as FBI cyber-agents and other forensic experts scoured Hasan's computer, his home and even his garbage.

FBI officials would not say whether they had definitively confirmed that Hasan was the same "NidalHasan" who in one Internet posting--a comment to an essay titled "Martyrdom in Islam Versus Suicide Bombing!"--likened a suicide bomber to a soldier who jumps on a grenade to save the lives of his fellow officers in that both were sacrificing their lives "for a more noble cause."

But there were indications that Hasan was active on the Internet and that he had posted numerous inflammatory comments.

By all accounts, Hasan was devout. He worshiped at the mosque each day at 6 a.m., and often prayed there five times a day, especially during the holy month of Ramadan. Hasan's devotion sometimes put him in conflict with the military.

In 2007, Hasan went to the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., for a disaster and military psychiatry fellowship, part of a master of public health degree that he completed this summer.

He was put on probation early in his postgraduate work, however, for allegedly proselytizing about his Muslim faith with patients and colleagues, NPR reported. The university would not confirm the probation, citing the ongoing military investigation.

One of Hasan's classmates in the program said he doubted the man's commitment to the military.

"He told students, 'I'm a Muslim first and an American second,' " Dr. Val Finnell, now a lieutenant colonel at the Los Angeles Air Force Base, said in a telephone interview. "I really questioned his loyalty."

Finnell said he first became suspicious of Hasan shortly after the program began when Hasan gave a provocative presentation in an environmental health class.

Other students focused on topics including mold and water contamination. Hasan's project asked "whether the war on terror is a war against Islam," Finnell said.

"It was very off-topic," Finnell said. "I raised my hand and said, 'What does this have to do with environmental health?' "

Finnell said Hasan became agitated when he was challenged and became "sweaty and nervous and emotional."

Finnell said he and his classmates never brought up Hasan's faith and never asked him about his views of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"If those topics came up in conversation, it was because he brought those things up," Finnell said. "It was a self-fulfilling prophesy. He made himself a lightning rod by making his extreme views known to everyone."
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... full.story

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-08-2009 02:06 AM

Originally posted by Kaztronic
No matter how HB3 may paint liberals/progressives with the same brush here, it pales in comparison to the Jackson Pollock like painting of any moderate, conservative, or Republican here Linnea.

The difference is that HB3 gets a hell of a lot more grief for his efforts.

What's wrong with Jackson Pollack?

I disagree, Kaz. I do not see it. Not in the generalized way you present this. I do believe there is a fair representation of all groups here - especially in the past few months. Maybe I am not as sensitive to this as you are, as I am not as much of ideologist or partisan as many on this forum. Dunno.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 11-08-2009 02:06 AM

megman wrote: Canadian Heritage Restoration Committee?

Is that where William Shatner got his hairpiece installed?

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 11-08-2009 02:12 AM

Seriously,

I've been doing some reading all over about this and this is just my humble onion, the guy just snapped.

He had been counseling troops that had spent time in Afghanistan, listening to all the horror stories about something the US is trying to do that Alexander the Great couldn't do, and has been going on ever since.

Knowing that he was about to be placed in the middle of that was just too much for him to fathom. He lost it plain and simple.

Just my 2 cents.
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 11-08-2009 02:12 AM

Linnea wrote: What's wrong with Jackson Pollack?

I disagree, Kaz. I do not see it. Not in the generalized way you present this. I do believe there is a fair representation of all groups here - especially in the past few months. Maybe I am not as sensitive to this as you are, as I am not much of of ideologist or partisan as many on this forum. Dunno.

Their is nothing at all wrong with Jackson Pollock. I happen to be a fan of his work. I used his art for a reason, to represent the approach he took to painting a canvas.

As for a mixed group here these days, yeah, I agree actually. Still, the conversations tend to go the same way, don't they?

Criticism of this President is almost universally met with one of two reactions - silence (if your point is a really good one that is hard to argue with), or derision of the type that is currently bothering you in this thread.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 11-08-2009 02:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-08-2009 02:16 AM

Hey, megman. Thank you for your sanity and wit. And for not being a jackass. :D

It is refreshing. And, unusual to encounter in this forum in the dark ages through which we are currently passing.

See you around the forum. I'm out of here.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-08-2009 02:16 AM

megman wrote: Seriously,

I've been doing some reading all over about this and this is just my humble onion, the guy just snapped.

He had been counseling troops that had spent time in Afghanistan, listening to all the horror stories about something the US is trying to do that Alexander the Great couldn't do, and has been going on ever since.

Knowing that he was about to be placed in the middle of that was just too much for him to fathom. He lost it plain and simple.

Just my 2 cents.

The "contagious PTSD" theory. I just don't know how that can be indulged at this point.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 11-08-2009 02:18 AM

HB3 wrote: The "contagious PTSD" theory. I just don't know how that can be indulged at this point.

PTSD implies "Post" as in after the fact. He didn't get that far.

And I know first hand about PTSD.
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-08-2009 02:21 AM

megman wrote: PTSD implies "Post" as in after the fact. He didn't get that far.

That's what I'm saying. He "caught" it by exposure to it through his patients. Or call it "pre-traumatic stress disorder." I don't think this explanation is going to hold up for much longer. The "he just snapped" theory is rapidly losing steam.

To me, this is just disassociation to prevent people from stating the astoundingly obvious, because it would result in psychic dissonance.

Btw, I know something about "PTSD" myself.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”