Breaking: 7 Fatally Shot At Ft. Hood

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 11-08-2009 02:26 AM

Let's put it this way.........

The fact that he just snapped doesn't make for good media. It doesn't do **** for the Army's morale.

Sometimes a rock is just a rock.
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-08-2009 02:29 AM

You mean...a cigar is just a cigar?

If it's not good for the media, then why is it all they've been saying? Why is it the dominant narrative?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-08-2009 02:34 AM

Originally posted by Kaztronic
Criticism of this President is almost universally met with one of two reactions - silence (if your point is a really good one that is hard to argue with), or derision of the type that is currently bothering you in this thread.

Just back to respond to this, Kaz. Want to point out that nothing in this thread was 'bothering' me. I was responding to others who had issues here. Just for the record.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 11-08-2009 02:46 AM

HB3 wrote: You mean...a cigar is just a cigar?

If it's not good for the media, then why is it all they've been saying? Why is it the dominant narrative?

If I meant cigar I would have said cigar.
What's the friggin dif?

You know, sometimes, just sometimes, you have to learn to accept things at face value.

I'm not playing semantics. Chow.
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-08-2009 03:18 AM

Kaztronic wrote: Your insults are as old, tired, and misplaced as your avatar is.
And your holier than thou attitude was old before you even opened your mouth. Jim has served this Country something Hb hasn't so he has my repect, as well as many others that no longer post because of HB stupid remarks. His hippie comments are sickening for ANYONE that know anyone that went through combat.
Last edited by SETIsLady on 11-08-2009 03:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-08-2009 03:23 AM

Kaztronic wrote: As for a mixed group here these days, yeah, I agree actually. Still, the conversations tend to go the same way, don't they?

Criticism of this President is almost universally met with one of two reactions - silence (if your point is a really good one that is hard to argue with), or derision of the type that is currently bothering you in this thread.
So you want everyone to agree with you, or the conversations to go your way, or they are wrong or have no business posting here :rolleyes: I think you have done a good job chasing everyone off.

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 11-08-2009 04:09 AM

I do agree that Major Hasan 'snapped', but I suspect the build up began long ago in his life. This shooting was an act of extreme rage and the need to extend it upon other people: the ultimate expression of twisted despair is to overcome life by forcing death upon others along with oneself. His faith was a factor, among others, but faith can soothe as well as ignite. He didnt have enough capacity or will to discern between those two poles because he was frankly quite ill. I wish this could've been caught early on even though I don't quite know how that might have been done.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 11-08-2009 04:22 AM

No, really I don't care for conversations to go "my way". I much prefer when people disagree, it makes for a more interesting conversation - and often the consideration of ideas not previously contemplated. That has been my pattern - at least when conversations don't simply devolve in to petty insults based upon party affiliation, or sheer partisan propaganda.

If people leave this forum because of me, I regret that - but I wont toe anyone's political line to make them happy, nor stop challenging ideas I disagree with, or do not understand. That said, your pointing the finger at me and stating that I am responsible for all that ills this forum as far as people posting here anymore is a very ugly assertion that I take exception to (almost all of us can afford to take a look in the mirror to consider the way we treat each others opinions from time to time).

As for Corvid, I happen to have considerable respect for the guy as well. More often than not, I disagree with him vehemently on politics, but respect his opinions, and the experience he brings to the discussion - their is often much wisdom in his words, that is fairly obvious. As for insulting him, well, he's a big boy and is more than capable of dishing it out himself, so occasionally he gets it back - and hey, I may get it back from him over that comment - kinda knew that going in to it, and actually wouldn't mind it. His quick retorts are generally creative and get a chuckle out of me. But let me say this as well, my respect for him has nothing to do with his military service. I'm very grateful for it, but that has nothing to do with the respect he has earned from me. Nor does a lack of military service exclude others, such as HB3 from having my respect, he's earned it for being far more thoughtful than he perhaps gets credit for. He has his own writing style, but the points he makes are more often than not quite challenging and worthy of contemplation.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 11-08-2009 04:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-08-2009 04:23 AM

Kaztronic wrote: ...Obama apologist nonsense...

THAT is a bunch of nonsense. What I said would apply to ANY President in this situation -- no matter WHO it is. All I did was point out what I felt were the logistical problems involved and what I felt was a logical approach. That makes me an "apologist"? :rolleyes: I suppose anyone who disagrees with you concerning anything about this President is an "apologist." What malarkey.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-08-2009 04:27 AM

megman wrote: Seriously,

I've been doing some reading all over about this and this is just my humble onion, the guy just snapped.

He had been counseling troops that had spent time in Afghanistan, listening to all the horror stories about something the US is trying to do that Alexander the Great couldn't do, and has been going on ever since.

Knowing that he was about to be placed in the middle of that was just too much for him to fathom. He lost it plain and simple.

Just my 2 cents.
Lastmartian wrote: I do agree that Major Hasan 'snapped', but I suspect the build up began long ago in his life. This shooting was an act of extreme rage and the need to extend it upon other people: the ultimate expression of twisted despair is to overcome life by forcing death upon others along with oneself. His faith was a factor, among others, but faith can soothe as well as ignite. He didnt have enough capacity or will to discern between those two poles because he was frankly quite ill. I wish this could've been caught early on even though I don't quite know how that might have been done.

I agree with these posts. He was ill himself, and he finally just blew. Yes, "sometimes a rock is just a rock." That's the case more often than not.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 11-08-2009 04:36 AM

Joolz wrote: THAT is a bunch of nonsense. What I said would apply to ANY President in this situation -- no matter WHO it is. All I did was point out what I felt were the logistical problems involved and what I felt was a logical approach. That makes me an "apologist"? :rolleyes: I suppose anyone who disagrees with you concerning anything about this President is an "apologist." What malarkey.

Perhaps I was a bit punchy and over-reactive when I made that statement. I feel that it does happen here on the forum from time to time, but looking back on this thread...... perhaps I was reading in to things too much and making a bit of an assumption.

malarkey? Actually, it's quite possible it was just that.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-08-2009 04:37 AM

Kaztronic wrote: He has his own writing style...
Snark is a writing style? Any point he may be trying to make is lost in the delivery.

And yes, Linda's right -- both you and HB3 have chased people off. You own that.

Ah, never mind. I'm just disgusted with the whole thing. :( :mad:
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-08-2009 04:38 AM

Kaztronic wrote: Perhaps I was a bit punchy and over-reactive when I made that statement. I feel that it does happen here on the forum from time to time, but looking back on this thread...... perhaps I was reading in to things too much and making a bit of an assumption.

malarkey? Actually, it's quite possible it was just that.

Well, thank you for THAT much, at least.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 11-08-2009 04:42 AM

I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, it happens.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-08-2009 04:43 AM

Nor do I.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”