Senators eye commission to tackle budget crisis

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Senators eye commission to tackle budget crisis

Post by Linnea » 11-10-2009 06:02 PM

Is some form of sanity now returning to the halls of Congress? More great news.

...from Reuters Tue Nov 10, 2009

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Several U.S. senators said on Tuesday they probably could force Congress to cede some control to a bipartisan commission that would tackle the United States' looming budget crisis.

Proponents say the panel is needed because Congress lacks the will to raise taxes or slash spending to reduce record budget deficits brought on by Bush-era tax cuts, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and massive stimulus spending to fight the worst economic downturn since the 1930s.

The idea is unpopular with many Democrats in the House of Representatives who are wary of ceding control over spending and taxes, but it has gained ground in the Senate, where moderate Democrats are increasingly uneasy about debt levels.

"There are rare moments in this institution when we can implement fundamental change. This is one of those moments," Democratic Senator Evan Bayh, who backs establishment of a budget commission, told the Senate Budget Committee.

More Here

Cynthia Lynn
Pirate

Re: Senators eye commission to tackle budget crisis

Post by Cynthia Lynn » 11-10-2009 07:18 PM

Linnea wrote: Is some form of sanity now returning to the halls of Congress? More great news.

...from Reuters Tue Nov 10, 2009

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Several U.S. senators said on Tuesday they probably could force Congress to cede some control to a bipartisan commission that would tackle the United States' looming budget crisis.

Proponents say the panel is needed because Congress lacks the will to raise taxes or slash spending to reduce record budget deficits brought on by Bush-era tax cuts, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and massive stimulus spending to fight the worst economic downturn since the 1930s.

The idea is unpopular with many Democrats in the House of Representatives who are wary of ceding control over spending and taxes, but it has gained ground in the Senate, where moderate Democrats are increasingly uneasy about debt levels.

"There are rare moments in this institution when we can implement fundamental change. This is one of those moments," Democratic Senator Evan Bayh, who backs establishment of a budget commission, told the Senate Budget Committee.

More Here

Wouldn't this budget commission be unconstitutional unless its aim is simply to advise?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-10-2009 07:30 PM

I believe the Senate has the power to levy taxes and tariffs, form treaties and to enact legislation to create agencies, departments and regulatory rules. Also to control spending and budgets. The House alone is responsible for authorizing government expenditures. There are also 'unfunded mandates' - as the 'No Child Left Behind' fiasco.

I'm not that up on civics. Maybe Racehorse could add his voice here.

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 11-10-2009 07:40 PM

Ultimately, both the House and Senate would have to pass--and the President would have to sign--any budget bill. But the Congress can delegate authority to special committees or commissions to work out compromises on bills, if they agree to accept the results the commissions come up with.
Anchors Aweigh

Cynthia Lynn
Pirate

Post by Cynthia Lynn » 11-10-2009 07:45 PM

Linnea wrote: I believe the Senate has the power to levy taxes and tariffs, form treaties and to enact legislation to create agencies, departments and regulatory rules. Also to control spending and budgets. The House alone is responsible for authorizing government expenditures. There are also 'unfunded mandates' - as the 'No Child Left Behind' fiasco.

My concern was over the wording in the article "...to cede some control to a bipartisan commission..."

Perhaps it's just a badly worded sentence.

I have some thoughts on this and can weigh in later, but right now I'm trying to do ten things at once... and I'm doing them all badly. :D

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 11-10-2009 07:50 PM

Linnea wrote: I believe the Senate has the power to levy taxes and tariffs, form treaties and to enact legislation to create agencies, departments and regulatory rules. Also to control spending and budgets. The House alone is responsible for authorizing government expenditures. There are also 'unfunded mandates' - as the 'No Child Left Behind' fiasco.

The Senate and the House have occasionally delegated authority to commissions such as this. Ultimately, the power to accept or reject any budget rests with them. This would probably be an area where they agree to either accept or reject whatever compromise the commission would recomend in it's entirety much like they have done with the recommendations regarding closing military bases. Still, the Senate and House must pass a budget and the President must approve it either through signature or inaction (which never happens regarding budgets in practice).
racehorse

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 11-10-2009 07:51 PM

Swerdloc wrote: Ultimately, both the House and Senate would have to pass--and the President would have to sign--any budget bill. But the Congress can delegate authority to special committees or commissions to work out compromises on bills, if they agree to accept the results the commissions come up with.

Exactly!
racehorse

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-11-2009 03:50 PM

Interesting, but who would comprise this commission group?

How about accountants from various areas who are NOT in congress or personal buddies/friends of congress?

How about justification and accounting for budget expenditures?

just a thought...

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”