Uninsured ER patients twice as likely to die

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Uninsured ER patients twice as likely to die

Post by Linnea » 11-16-2009 04:33 PM

from msnbc...

New study highlights disparity of care for those who don't have coverage

CHICAGO - Uninsured patients with traumatic injuries, such as car crashes, falls and gunshot wounds, were almost twice as likely to die in the hospital as similarly injured patients with health insurance, according to a troubling new study.

The findings by Harvard University researchers surprised doctors and health experts who have believed emergency room care was equitable.

"This is another drop in a sea of evidence that the uninsured fare much worse in their health in the United States," said senior author Dr. Atul Gawande, a Harvard surgeon and medical journalist.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33971846/ns ... alth_care/

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 11-16-2009 04:41 PM

Such is the GOP Health Care plan.. Hurry Up and Die.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 11-17-2009 10:07 AM

Take tumeric .... :D :D :D

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-17-2009 11:57 AM

The Number of US Hospitals

http://www.aha.org/aha/resource-center/ ... facts.html

This in a Nov 11, 2009 article.

===
FROM THE ARTICLE original link:
"The researchers couldn't pin down the reasons behind the differences they found. The uninsured might experience more delays being transferred from hospital to hospital. Or they might get different care. Or they could have more trouble communicating with doctors.

The hospitals that treat them also could have fewer resources."

After stating that they still pushed the concept of uninsured...or even medicaid. Ignoring the the hospital resources when putting together the study, or number of staff available - or how busy the ERs might have been with NON ER problems was also ignored. (not taken into account)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-17-2009 02:06 PM

Cherry - with all these variables, still the uninsured were 'twice as likely' to die in the same situations than those who had medical insurance. There is an inescapable conclusion here - those without health insurance 'for whatever reasons' - were twice as likely to die in ER rooms.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-18-2009 02:21 AM

I remember being brought in by ambulance while I was dying and one of the first questions I was asked was "do you have insurance ?", there is something wrong with that picture.

If its not important, why was it the first question ?? :(
Last edited by SETIsLady on 11-18-2009 03:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-18-2009 11:29 AM

Linnea - The article paragraph I posted seems to tell a somewhat different story - or missing facts. Now that being said, I would imagine that uninsured probably do have a higher death rate in ERs or even hospitals.

===
However, I do think there is far too much missing information. Some of the basics - hospital types in the study, location, and yes the other 'circumstances' should be given.

===
When someone is brought into ER in an emergency situation delays in treatment can happen for many reasons that has very little to do with insurance. Communication if the patient is awake - but doesn't speak English. Blood type and medical allergies can cause delays while information is being obtained. Also the ERs being overwhelmed by non-emergency patients can also cause undue delays.

===
YES, I know hospitals ask if you have insurance. So do doctors and clinics and some pharmacies do as well.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-18-2009 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Cherry Kelly
When someone is brought into ER in an emergency situation delays in treatment can happen for many reasons that has very little to do with insurance. Communication if the patient is awake - but doesn't speak English. Blood type and medical allergies can cause delays while information is being obtained. Also the ERs being overwhelmed by non-emergency patients can also cause undue delays.

Cherry, the problems you describe, these "delays in treatment," have everything to do with insurance -- or actually, the LACK of insurance. Why in the world do you think ERs are "being overwhelmed by non-emergency patients" in the first place? It's because these non-emergency patients don't have/can't afford insurance, so can't see a doctor any other way. And a lot of them wait until whatever is wrong DOES become an emergency because they can do nothing else.

And further, Linnea is absolutely correct that there is an "inescapable conclusion here." These variables you suggest would NOT change that conclusion, so are really irrelevant to the major point here. Can you not see that there's a problem here? You would "imagine" so? Please, for once, just admit that there IS a real problem. In this case, people are dying, and we could do something to help prevent it.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Cynthia Lynn
Pirate

Post by Cynthia Lynn » 11-18-2009 04:34 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote:

{snip}

YES, I know hospitals ask if you have insurance.

So do doctors and clinics and some pharmacies do as well.

"So do doctors and clinics..."

You yourself have acknowledged the point of this thread, CK.

I'm sorry if you cannot see it or admit it.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-19-2009 05:44 PM

Cynthia - my problem with the article is the lack of facts.

Yes - facts. The article itself in the paragraph I quoted admits that "The researchers couldn't pin down the reasons behind the differences they found." (cont)

What is wrong with wanting some facts? reasons behind the differences... What about some simple facts? What % were illegals? What type of ER reasons were involved? (Was the comparison equal?)

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 11-19-2009 05:53 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Yes - facts. The article itself in the paragraph I quoted admits that "The researchers couldn't pin down the reasons behind the differences they found." (cont)
You mean RELEVANT FACTS... since what you quoted has no relation to the original story... OH LOOK took me all of 30 seconds to FIND THE STUDY QUOTED IN THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE!!!!

http://www.e-healthcaresolutions.com/AM ... 44/11/1006

Once again, Parrot-Poo clogging the deck trying their best to distract and confuse...

Pathetic Polly.. pathetic.....
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”