Boehner confuses the Constitution with the Declaration

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

OMG
Pirate

Boehner confuses the Constitution with the Declaration

Post by OMG » 11-16-2009 06:48 PM

During the Bachmann health care teaparty rally in DC. earlier this month Repub house leader John Boehner held up his miniature Constitution and said "This is my copy of the Constitution. And I'm going to stand here with our founding fathers who wrote in the preamble, "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"" Hopefully a founding father taps him on the shoulder and said "umm wrong document"

The thing for me, the actual mistake wasn't what really got my attention on this. What gets me more is the faux patriotism and the grandstanding. If it was during an interview and he got it mixed up, I might be able to find an excuse that maybe his mind was somewhere else. Even if it was some townhall meeting, and it's some utube vid or something again I can look at that and laugh but maybe think it was taken out of context or something like that. But the thing that really stands out for me is that he goes out, and panders to a bunch of self-appointed keepers of what our forefathers wanted with a miniature constitution prop in hand and start quoting the declaration instead.

It reminds me of Limbaugh earlier this year (in March) when he was doing a bigspeech in front of Conserv group and he did the exact same mistake, do Conservs have a single proof-reader for every speech? He was his blowhard self saying how this admin and Libs are out to take away all the great things about the Constitution like Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (he added freedom for no apparent reason) and he acted so sure of himself and the crowd applauded his "speech of greatness" seemingly totally ignorant about the mistake. Which begs the question how many of the teapartiers would know the difference?

It was impossible to find the Boehner story anywhere, I saw it on Sanchez show on CNN when it happened but I didn't see the network ever mention it again, and didn't see any of the mainstream locations mention it at all either electronic or print.

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 11-16-2009 06:58 PM

You mean he pulled a Boehner?
Anchors Aweigh

rumike
Pirate

Re: Boehner confuses the Constitution with the Declaration

Post by rumike » 11-16-2009 10:47 PM

OMG wrote: The thing for me, the actual mistake wasn't what really got my attention on this. What gets me more is the faux patriotism and the grandstanding.

Perhaps they are unaware that the DOI is not, in fact, law? As much as I'd like to be guaranteed the right to a pursuit of happiness - it in not law of the land.

I'm pursuing it anyway.
Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Re: Boehner confuses the Constitution with the Declaration

Post by SETIsLady » 11-16-2009 11:21 PM

OMG wrote: It was impossible to find the Boehner story anywhere, I saw it on Sanchez show on CNN when it happened but I didn't see the network ever mention it again, and didn't see any of the mainstream locations mention it at all either electronic or print.

Here is the Rick Sanchez spot you saw..

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/sca ... ulls-boner
Last edited by SETIsLady on 11-16-2009 11:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”