Me 1, Mara Liasson 0

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

rumike
Pirate

Me 1, Mara Liasson 0

Post by rumike » 12-11-2009 10:33 PM

I win! I win! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! I've been sending multiple e-mails (to various execs and omsbudsmen) to my local NPR affiliate and the national HQ for YEARS asking them to stop allowing their journalists to spin for Fox, or else I would not donate. So I've been withholding funds for years and letting them know why.

Finally, finally, finally they're doing something about it. Ok, it might have something to do with SNL parodying Juan Williams' appearance on Fox, but I've been working at this longer and harder than SNL, so I'm claiming victory.

I WIN! HA HA HA HA HA!

http://current.com/items/91663422_npr-e ... x-news.htm
Anchors Aweigh!

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 12-11-2009 10:51 PM

Yup. Kill free speech.

This is exactly why I no longer post here.
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 12-11-2009 11:02 PM

IronsGold wrote: Yup. Kill free speech.

I vote for programming by withholding or sending dollars to NPR and telling them why- that's the entire model for public broadcasting. Exactly how have I trampled on your free speech rights?

I can't wait to send make-up checks to NPR next fund-raiser.
Last edited by rumike on 12-12-2009 01:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-11-2009 11:54 PM

Not sure how you are violating anyone's free speech Mike. In fact, if we are to use that analogy you are just exercising your right to free speech.

Seems to me that if she is working for NPR, and her appearances on Fox are angering her employers audience, then her employer has a right to tell her to knock it off or move on. After all they are paying her salary.

In most industry's working for another company in the same industry is a big no no and considered a conflict of interest.

You have every right to voice your opinion.
Last edited by SETIsLady on 12-12-2009 12:19 AM, edited 1 time in total.

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 12-12-2009 12:29 AM

SETIsLady wrote: Not sure how you are violating anyone's free speech Mike. In fact, if we are to use that analogy you are just exercising your right to free speech.

And now that I think about it, I'm not sure it's even possible for me to violate someone's freedom of speech (RH can correct me if I'm wrong). I'm pretty sure only the government can do that. And I'm not the government and don't work for the government.

Now, truth be told. I used to work for them. My ability to stifle freedom of expression was limited, but I did my best.

I worked in a large state land grant university, as a database programmer for the biology department. My office was in an herbarium. I did have a couple subordinates (grad students) and one time this one girl attached the label "Passion Flower" to an herbarium specimen. I asked her to use the scientific name Passiflora pardifolia, as I felt "Passion" was a reference to religion. She claimed I was violating her freedom of religion, and her freedom of speech. I claimed she was breaching the separation of church and state.

Millions of taxpayer dollars later, and three appeals to the federal bench, lead us to some uncomfortable moments in front of the Supreme Court of the United States.

Unfortunately, no one knows the outcome, because Mara Liasson was covering it (Nina Totenberg had the sniffles).

And I'm not telling.
Last edited by rumike on 12-12-2009 12:51 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Anchors Aweigh!

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 12-12-2009 09:26 AM

Lol! :D :D :D :D :D
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 12-12-2009 09:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IronsGold
Yup. Kill free speech.

[/QUOTE

Silly me. :o I thought this was a post in which you spoke freely.
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”