Gun laws are getting looser across much of US

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Gun laws are getting looser across much of US

Post by SETIsLady » 12-12-2009 01:53 AM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – It's been the year of the gun in Tennessee. In a flurry of legislative action, handgun owners won the right to take their weapons onto sports fields and playgrounds and, at least briefly, into bars.

A change in leadership at the state Capitol helped open the doors to the gun-related bills and put Tennessee at the forefront of a largely unnoticed trend: In much of the country, it is getting easier to carry guns.

A nationwide review by The Associated Press found that over the last two years, 24 states, mostly in the South and West, have passed 47 new laws loosening gun restrictions.

More:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091211/ap_ ... laws/print

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 12-12-2009 02:37 AM

Well, I certainly hope all these "freedom packers" are at least being required to learn how to clean, use, and store them properly. Probably not, though... When Laws are passed permitting people something like this, out of fear, usually the Laws are loosely written and not well-thought-out.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 12-12-2009 08:14 AM

This is great news.

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 12-12-2009 09:50 AM

Great news!

Those with criminal intent will always have guns.
Gun laws only restrict us law-abiding citizens from protecting our loved ones and assets.
I’m a strong believer that being armed, prevents more crime than it creates.
All hear few listen

racehorse
Pirate

Re: Gun laws are getting looser across much of US

Post by racehorse » 12-12-2009 10:47 AM

Originally from the Article posted by SETIsLady
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – It's been the year of the gun in Tennessee. In a flurry of legislative action, handgun owners won the right to take their weapons onto sports fields and playgrounds and, at least briefly, into bars.

I think guns should be restricted in all of these places and many others. There is no legitimate reason to have them at any of these locations and the danger to the public outweighs any "benefit" significantly. It is not an infringement on the Second Amendment to do so, either. Do not assume all "right wingers" support legislation like this, I don't support it and never will. It is also apparent some on the left are surprisingly and sadly in my mind in favor of it.
Last edited by racehorse on 12-12-2009 12:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.
racehorse

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 12-12-2009 10:55 AM

Bars?

Guns and alcohol, what a combination!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
racehorse

SETIsLady
Pirate

Re: Re: Gun laws are getting looser across much of US

Post by SETIsLady » 12-12-2009 11:00 AM

racehorse wrote: Do not assume all "right wingers" support legislation like this,
Race, who said that it was "right wingers" ?

racehorse
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: Gun laws are getting looser across much of US

Post by racehorse » 12-12-2009 11:03 AM

SETIsLady wrote: Race, who said that it was "right wingers" ?

No one said it here, SETIsLady. Still there is a widely held assumption the right wing supports (truly atrocious) legislation like this which is generally true but my point is not all those on the right agree and some strongly oppose it.
racehorse

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-12-2009 11:08 AM

Ok, thought I missed something.

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 12-12-2009 11:39 AM

Protecting our right to bear arms is one of the things I have admired about the Republican party.
All hear few listen

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 12-12-2009 11:54 AM

badspell wrote: Protecting our right to bear arms is one of the things I have admired about the Republican party.

I admire it, too.

Still, the right to bear arms is not and should not be unrestricted. Just as one does not have a first amendment right to shout "Fire" in a crowded theater, one does not have a second amendment right to carry weapons into bars, school grounds, or lots of other places. Restrictions in this regard make sense and are needed and do not infringe in any way on constitutionally held protections and rights!
racehorse

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-12-2009 12:00 PM

I do find it somewhat strange that we have to have laws to allow people to carry guns. I also think that people who do so, should know how to take proper care of their handguns and rifles and use them safely.

Guns in bars are not a good mix; however, bartenders should know when a customer has had too much to drink, many states have laws about that.

Going back to my own youth - we had rifle clubs at school. Granted the rifles had to be locked up in a special area (room) during class-time. Filled rifle racks in trucks and cars were common.

I will say it angers me to see laws where you can have your pistol in glove box, but your ammo must be -- in the trunk of the car. That is just plain stupid!

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 12-12-2009 12:05 PM

We cannot micromanage anything.
Mere razor knives were used to take down the twin towers.
The intent to harm is the problem.
To disarm is to defeat. Please don’t support those that would make criminals out of law-abiding citizens that would protect only.
All hear few listen

OMG
Pirate

Re: Re: Gun laws are getting looser across much of US

Post by OMG » 12-14-2009 12:34 PM

racehorse wrote: should be restricted in all of these places and many others. There is no legitimate reason to have them at any of these locations and the danger to the public outweighs any "benefit" significantly. It is not an infringement on the Second Amendment to do so, either. .

Well said, I'm the furthest person from being a NRA type. But willing to listen to hunters needing it, heck I will even listen and maybe accept home protection reasons. But the NRA and lobby groups (which BTW why is almost everybody against lobby groups, except when they agree with them lol) have taken the word "right" and pushed it to unnessesary levels, hate to say this but at times it turns more into an ego or a "male extension" type of thing more than any rights or protection. Great point on the shout fire in a crowded theatre example.

I have never felt the need to "carry" when I go into a bar, and if I did, I would simply go to another club. With excemption of very few clubs that already have bad reputation (which going in there just asking for trouble) in most places it's not nessesary. I like looking at stuff as "risk and reward", if crazy guy comes into a bar, trying to do damage, fine you are "prepared" even though the odds of that happening is so slim. Now the odds of a couple of drunken idioits getting into a fight over something dumb and start throwing fists (which happens very weekend), do we really need these guys to get their hands on something more lethal than a beer bottle during the fight.

Please tell me that "Sports fields" are not "Sport stadiums" if there is anything worse than bringing it to a bar, it would be to a sporting event. They don't allow lids on bottles on stadiums that I have went to because the the lid will allow the bottle to be thrown further, which is something overly emotional drunk sports fans have done.

A lot of the all the NRA supporters who alway say "We are so responsible" if so then but more responsibility on them. So if it goes off accidently in your home by you or or somebody else in the house, the person who bought and brought it into the house is responsible for what happened. If it's lost or stolen, then it's on you for what happenes to it even if it's outside your control. So many NRA supporters try to claim that "It's not we who abuse it, it's those other people" Which first it's absurd as many who go through the process and then actually do harm with it, but even the people who don't go through the process, the lax rules pushed by the NRA allows them to buy it on trade shows like they are baseball cards.

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 12-14-2009 01:10 PM

racehorse wrote: I admire it, too.

Still, the right to bear arms is not and should not be unrestricted. Just as one does not have a first amendment right to shout "Fire" in a crowded theater, one does not have a second amendment right to carry weapons into bars, school grounds, or lots of other places. Restrictions in this regard make sense and are needed and do not infringe in any way on constitutionally held protections and rights!

Yet another area that RH and I agree almost identically on.

Attaboy, Clarence!
Last edited by rumike on 12-14-2009 02:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”