Susan Boyle Winner Britain’s Got Talent?

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 06-22-2009 11:20 AM

Simon Cowell Admits Mistakes on Susan Boyle
Today 7:41 AM PDT by Breanne L. Heldman

Susan Boyle may have earned a pair of standing ovations this weekend, but Britain's Got Talent's head honcho and resident curmudgeon, Simon Cowell, has been humbled by the singer's fast-tracked plight.

The American Idol judge supplied Britain's Daily Mail with a lengthy editorial detailing the ways in which he failed the middle-aged songstress, and how he'll be treating the recent events as a learning experience.

"I'm the first to hold my hands up and admit I've made mistakes," he writes. "Looking back on it all, it has become clear to me that we didn't handle the situation with Susan as well as we could have."

In retrospect, however, he's not quite sure what he would change.

"To be honest, when I analyze exactly what happened, I don't know that I could have done it any differently," he says.

Several weeks after Boyle's first audition aired—and the subsequent YouTube video exploded—Cowell appeared on Oprah with the singer via satellite.

"She seemed fine with all the attention—I thought she was utterly charming and really thrilled about what happened. I though—perhaps naively—that she was in control…I thought whatever happens, we have changed this lady's life."

It wasn't until the semifinals that Cowell began to receive calls that the 48-year-old's ability to handle the stress of newfound fame had gone south. Yet, even when he visited her just before the final, he was confident in her mental capacity.

"Even then, I didn't pick up on any unduly troubling signs," he writes. "She was nervous, yes, but no more nervous than Paul Potts had been before his live final two years previously."

When the international Internet sensation didn't win the Talent competition, the secretly sensitive Cowell felt uneasy.

"I looked over at her face and thought: 'Christ, she doesn't know how to deal with not winning.' It was a bad moment," he admits. "Afterwards, I went over and gave her a hug and tried to reassure her…we agreed that we would work together; that it wasn't the end of the road for her.

"After that, I left the studio. I remember having a drink that night and trying to relax, but still feeling a bit strange. Something just didn't' feel right. And sure enough, it wasn't. No need to repeat details here—that wouldn't be fair to Susan."

The judge continues to reveal that he has spoken to Boyle's family, asking them if he and the other producers were wrong to allow her to move forward with the competition after she showed signs of stress.

"They said, unanimously, that we did the right thing," he claims.

The Brit goes on to question some of the choices regarding the overall production of the show, from allowing children participate to requiring more scrutinizing psychological screenings.

"There is no easy way of achieving fame, and no guaranteed or trusted way of dealing with it," he says. "Who has the right to ban Susan Boyle, or anyone like her, from trying to sing her way out of one life and into another?...Yes, there have been problems, but I think overall it is a positive experience for her. I'm glad we gave her this opportunity and—more importantly—I think Susan is as well."

In case you were curious, here are a few other choice words from his article we never thought we'd hear from Cowell:

"I know I could have been kinder."
"I don't always get it right."
"Sometimes I go too far, I admit it."
"A criticism that I find particularly hurtful."
"I accept I've made mistakes along the way."

More at link:
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b130451 ... susan.html

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-22-2009 01:07 PM

Here is a recent performance by Susan Boyle at Wembley, June 21st, 2009. A strong and confidant performance. She has missed performances on the BGT tour, but is performing in more of them then I thought she would, and gaining seeming to gain confidence and strength as a performer. Glad she is being given the opportunity to go at her own pace.

There is talk of bringing her to the USA in some capacity for the America's Got Talent Show. I hope she does not appear as a contestant, and don't know how that could even happen. Maybe the idea is to get her to perform during some portion of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDvJAgFa2Q8

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 06-22-2009 01:10 PM

Thanks Linnea, hope she starts doing other songs...:)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-22-2009 01:28 PM

Thought about that, and guess the idea is you'll need to wait to buy the album. Don't think the producers/managers want to have everything heard at this point. She will only sing these two songs on the BGT tour. Makes sense, and it is a different audience each time on the tour. If I were her, I would demand at least one other dress though. ;)

As for Susan Boyle missing performances, I've heard all of the acts have taken leave from various shows at times, but that is not mentioned. There is a catty push back from all the attention she is getting. Comes with the territory these days, I guess.

Linnea

Susan Boyle on 'Today Show' Wed AM

Post by Linnea » 07-21-2009 03:41 AM

Susan Boyle is visiting the US and will appear on mornings shows this week. She will appear first with Meredith Vieira Wednesday, July 22nd on the Today Show.

Here's a preview of the taped show:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtra ... alent.html

Meanwhile, Simon Cowell says Susan Boyle's Debut Album 'will surprise you'.

Think you know Britain's Got Talent runner-up Susan Boyle?

The producer of her new album, Simon Cowell, insists you'll think again.

"We're not going to throw out some souvenir album of show tunes which everyone expect[s]," Cowell, who judged the Scottish singing sensation on the reality series, tells Extra. "We went through about 350 to 400 songs to choose from. She was blown away by some of the song choices...She's going to surprise a lot of people with this record."

Linnea

Susan Boyle heading for cover of Harper's

Post by Linnea » 07-21-2009 03:45 AM

Susan Boyle is poised to become the cover star of posh mag Harper's Bazaar.

The Britain's Got Talent star has been earmarked for the September issue of the glossy magazine in the US She has already done the shoot at a country house at a secret location in the UK.

Insiders revealed Susan, 48, was one of a "handful" of stars being given consideration for the front cover.

One source said: "She's already got a very high profile in the States but this shoot will propel her on to an altogether different planet.

"It's very high-end, stylish and she looks amazing. Susan loved trying on all the designer dresses and even had her hair tinted for the occasion.

"The director was more than happy for her to look as she does on the telly but Susan wanted to try something different."

Last weekend, the ITV show runner-up appeared on US chat show Today.

Asked by the host if she'd had a makeover, Susan grinned and replied: "Just a slight one. I brush up quite well."

She added: "Being plucked from obscurity is like going on a long journey. You never know how it's going to end. I don't want it to end. I'm having a great time. It's been unbelievable. It's indescribable."

Susan, from Blackburn, West Lothian, rose to international fame with her first appearance on Britain's Got Talent.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/200 ... -21536789/

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-21-2009 09:38 AM

Wonderful news, looking forward to seeing the pictures, go Susan .:)

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-22-2009 12:06 PM

Watch two video clips of Susan Boyle on the Today show.
She will be on America's Got Talent tonight.
http://www.nbc.com/news/2009/07/22/susa ... front-door|today-on|text

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-25-2009 05:18 AM

Shirley - I know you love Breakfast at Tiffany's. ;) Well - heard some buzz about Susan Boyle's upcoming debut album:

Britain's Got Talent sensation Susan Boyle has reportedly recorded a "breathtaking" version of Moon River. Boyle, 48, is said to be halfway through her first album and it is claimed Moon River, from the film Breakfast At Tiffany's starring Audrey Hepburn, is the highlight so far.

A source said: "Susan's version of this song is fantastic and her fans will love it."

:cool:

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-25-2009 11:49 AM

Can't wait to hear her album, Moon River and Breakfast at Tiffany's brings back very fond memories..

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 07-25-2009 12:06 PM

Linnea wrote: Here is a recent performance by Susan Boyle at Wembley, June 21st, 2009. A strong and confidant performance. She has missed performances on the BGT tour, but is performing in more of them then I thought she would, and gaining seeming to gain confidence and strength as a performer. Glad she is being given the opportunity to go at her own pace.

There is talk of bringing her to the USA in some capacity for the America's Got Talent Show. I hope she does not appear as a contestant, and don't know how that could even happen. Maybe the idea is to get her to perform during some portion of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDvJAgFa2Q8

Thank you so much for posting the link to her performance. I get chills when she sings...something about the tone of her voice...
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-25-2009 12:28 PM

Saharaka wrote: Thank you so much for posting the link to her performance. I get chills when she sings...something about the tone of her voice...

Saharaka know what you mean, I also get chillls.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-25-2009 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Saharaka
Thank you so much for posting the link to her performance. I get chills when she sings...something about the tone of her voice...

You are very welcome, Saharaka. I continue to follow Susan Boyle's career with much interest, and like Shirley am eagerly awaiting her first album.

Her earlier renditions of songs as 'Cry Me a River' and 'Killing Me Softly' were very clear and beautiful. I believe now, since the death of her mother, she has added even more depth to the quality of her voice and interpretation.

Linnea

Susan Boyle's first single to be Moon River

Post by Linnea » 08-04-2009 01:15 AM

Susan Boyle, who became an overnight sensation after appearing on the Britain's Got Talent television show, is to release a version of Moon River.

The 48-year-old chose the Academy Award-winning song, which was originally sung by Audrey Hepburn in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's, to be the first single from her forthcoming debut album.

Boyle hopes to release her album by the end of the year. Other covers set to appear on the album are Cry Me A River and a Rolling Stones song.

The album is said to be a biographical album "about the music that she has listened to over the years and feels emotionally attached to", according to the Daily Mirror.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... River.html

A Rolling Stones song? Any guesses as to which one?
;)

Linnea

Susan Boyle will do American shows in November

Post by Linnea » 08-04-2009 01:23 AM

She's on her way! Susan set for Thanksgiving tour
By ANTOINETTE KELLY, IrishCentral.com Staff Writer

Published Friday, July 31, 2009, 1:29 PM
Updated Saturday, August 1, 2009, 11:39 AM

Susan Boyle is set to do a series of shows in the U.S. in November.

"This is the best news ever," said Anna Coogan from her home in Philadelphia. "I have been a huge, huge, fan, since she auditioned on that British show, and I can't believe she will be coming here." Susan will do a major promotional tour here in November before she releases her album here at Thanksgiving.

Susan shot to fame after her performance of "I Dreamed a Dream" for the auditions of Britain's Got Talent. The YouTube video has been seen more than 200 million times now.

Susan has now moved into an apartment in London to prepare for her American debut. Her beloved cat Pebbles is also with her after her now manager, Simon Cowell, arranged to have Pebbles flown from Scotland.

Cowell is also making sure Susan is being looked after. Susan's brother Gerry says, "He checks Susan is being properly looked after and makes sure she is not being worked too hard."

Susan is expected to release the Ella Fitzgerald classic "Cry Me A River," as the first song off the album.
###

http://www.irishcentral.com/ent/Susan-B ... 01882.html

Hmmmm. Well, Moon River - or Cry Me a River. We'll know soon enough. Thanksgiving is not that far off.

I've signed up on Amazon for an advance order. Her CD Album may very well fly off the shelves and be hard to get. Can't hurt to look ahead - if anyone really wants to buy it.

Return to “News from a parallel universe”