Local communities or corporations? Are we beginning to get

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Local communities or corporations? Are we beginning to get

Post by Linnea » 08-28-2010 08:35 PM

...from ABC/Wbay in Wisconsin - Aug 28. 2010
Salmonella Scare Boosts Local Egg Business

The threat of getting sick from eggs [h]as prompted the federal government to act and consumers to take matters into their own hands.

More than 1,500 people have gotten salmonella from eating tainted eggs produced at two Iowa farms. To prevent further outbreaks, the Food and Drug Administration plans to inspect the nation's largest egg farms .

Officials say 80 percent of the nation's egg supply comes from 600 large egg farms. Most of those farms have not been inspected for decades, according to the FDA. With so many farms, the inspections could take until the end of next year, leaving many consumers worried that they could still get sick from eggs.

Instead of waiting, some consumers are putting their trust in local egg farmers. For several years Becky Porter has been coming to the farmer's market to buy farm fresh eggs. "They taste better, I'm more health conscious," she says. "I've had some health issues so I like coming because I know they don't have the chemicals and things in them."
http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=13060834

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 08-29-2010 12:33 AM

The hens, according to L.A. Local News, were FED salmonella-tainted food... So I guess that means all the hens will be slaughtered and sold as chicken pieces?
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-29-2010 02:14 AM

I've been buying eggs that are from locally raised, free-range, hormone-free, cage-free hens for quite some time now. Here, I can get them at the supermarket, but I realize that's not possible most places. I do the same if I buy chicken -- locally raised, free-range, hormone- and cage-free. I can also get this at the supermarket. It costs more, and I'm not wealthy, but it's still worth it to me. I just don't want to be a participant in such cruelty.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 08-29-2010 03:24 AM

I have been buying free range eggs for 15 years. The reason I started was because I couldn't contribute to the cruel fashion in which these poor creatures are used to manufacture eggs. It has been my own private rule that if I can not purchase my free range, then I don't buy eggs that day. The farm is local, so I know I am not being duped.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-29-2010 06:43 AM

If we're relying on the government inspectors to solve this, we're in trouble.

I saw a full-page ad the other day in my local paper "informing" the consumers that these eggs are perfectly safe to eat - provided they're cooked thoroughly. So, the producers are relying on the consumer to do their work for them, essentially.

Up here in "the land of suburban sprawl", we don't have too many options regarding non-grocery store food items. I have seen some farms stands and we do have some farms, but to be honest with you, I'm going t have to start researching this.

Of course, now the cold weather is starting to set-in - low 50s this morning and I'm already startung to see some trees change color...........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-29-2010 07:38 AM

kbot wrote: Up here in "the land of suburban sprawl", we don't have too many options regarding non-grocery store food items. I have seen some farms stands and we do have some farms, but to be honest with you, I'm going t have to start researching this.

Maybe this will help you get started. You can plug in your zip code and choose various search parameters to find resources in your area.

Local Harvest / Farmer's Markets / Family Farms / CDA / Organic Food
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-29-2010 10:24 AM

What we should be looking into more thoroughly is where the FOOD came from that was being fed to these chickens.

Remember the tainted food - dogs and cats that was recalled? Remember other animal food products also recalled?

AND veggies also tainted with the same thing? Makes one really wonder about the growing conditions.

And all the meat recalls - ecoli as well. Another one in east coast after the egg recall.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-29-2010 03:31 PM

Must say, I am kind of disappointed in the topic drift here. This Blue Planet/Parallel World thread is really all about the positive vibes and intentions we all have to contribute to solutions - not a general re-statement of problems which contribute to fear, hopelessness and malaise.

Joolz - in particular - really gets this. ;)

Thanks, Joolz.

imo - we really need to move forward in this country - in positive, life-affirming directions.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-29-2010 04:12 PM

Joolz wrote: Maybe this will help you get started. You can plug in your zip code and choose various search parameters to find resources in your area.

Local Harvest / Farmer's Markets / Family Farms / CDA / Organic Food
What a GREAT TOOL !! Joolz thank you ! I had no idea that I had this many local produce and farms that I could actually purchase from. :)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-29-2010 07:02 PM

Linnea wrote: imo - we really need to move forward in this country - in positive, life-affirming directions.

I agree. While on vacation this week, I was thinking (especially the past few days) : "Kev, this is not the person you really are" -meaning being a negative person. I think that, sometimes, you (speaking generally) hear stuff, and after a while of hearing crap, you begin to just regurgitate crap (nice picture, huh?).

I think that this is a societal ill, and it's easy to fall into that trap. I know I certainly did.

Pretty much swearing off talk radio and cable news..........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-30-2010 04:11 AM

kbot wrote: Pretty much swearing off talk radio and cable news..........

That definitely helps. Worked for me.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-30-2010 04:13 AM

SETIsLady wrote: What a GREAT TOOL !! Joolz thank you ! I had no idea that I had this many local produce and farms that I could actually purchase from. :)

You are MOST welcome! I think it's pretty cool, too! I really like supporting the small, local farmers whenever I can.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-30-2010 04:18 AM

Linnea wrote: Must say, I am kind of disappointed in the topic drift here. This Blue Planet/Parallel World thread is really all about the positive vibes and intentions we all have to contribute to solutions - not a general re-statement of problems which contribute to fear, hopelessness and malaise.

Joolz - in particular - really gets this. ;)

Thanks, Joolz.

imo - we really need to move forward in this country - in positive, life-affirming directions.

You're welcome, Linnea. It's so difficult to break out of the barrage of negativity that constantly surrounds us. But it is possible. We just have to change the way we interact with the world, I think. It's a re-grouping in the mind, a shrugging off of the chains that bind -- chains that are woven throughout with that same fear, hopelessness, and malaise that you mention. All we can do is try. But when we try, amazing things can happen. ;) :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-30-2010 07:04 AM

Joolz wrote: That definitely helps. Worked for me.

Yeah, I found it was making me a very angry person.......sad.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-30-2010 07:07 AM

Joolz wrote: You are MOST welcome! I think it's pretty cool, too! I really like supporting the small, local farmers whenever I can.

Yes, thanks again. I was looking at the site again last nite - pretty extensive list of resources.

We're losing farms here at an alarming rate, and I think that people have finally started to realize that something needs to be done to preserve what we have, rather than turning everything into strip malls, which shut down in a few years and the stand vacant.

Return to “News from a parallel universe”