Eco-centrism. Evolving as community

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Eco-centrism. Evolving as community

Post by Linnea » 09-02-2010 02:21 PM

More from rk moore:
I think you make a very good point here:
> Eckhart Tolle (the enlightened author of The Power of Now) writes that humanity is under tremendous pressure to evolve because a change in consciousness is required for our survival...

In the Sufi tradition, they say "If you increase your necessity, new organs of perception will develop". Somewhat akin to "Necessity is the mother of invention", or even "For every action an equal reaction", in some kind of consciousness-physics. This principle does seem to offer hope for an emergence of some kind.

Notice that Eckhart says humanity is under tremendous pressure (necessity) to evolve, not that people are under that pressure. It is a pressure on the species-as-organism. And it is the species-as-organism that needs to evolve, to develop organs of perception, to become consciousness.
This resonates with another point you make, and I'd like to know who the author is:
> ... what if Buddha were to be reincarnated, this time, as a community?

Buddha can be seen as a model of 'what an enlightened being is like'. If Buddha-spirit reincarnates as community, that would be a model of 'what an enlightened community is like'. And that community, by its example, would also be a wise teacher of other communities, just as Buddha's example was the core of his wise teaching to other beings.

I think this concept, 'Buddha-spirit as community', expresses very well the nature of the 'evolution of consciousness' that humanity now needs. It is not our souls that are in special need at this time, but our civilization, our species-as-organism. Our special need now is not for an example of 'a conscious being', but for an example of 'a conscious community', what I've been referring to as 'an empowered community'. From such a seed, by an organic process, a conscious civilization can grow. The oak can be found in the acorn; such is the nature of things organic.
Of these various terms for the center path, I find 'social anarchism' and 'social ecology' the most evocative. 'Social anarchism' I interpret as community sovereignty. 'Social ecology' I interpret as referring to an organic form of local governance, and an organic way for communities to work together. In both cases I see 'harmonization of interests' as being the appropriate organic process. Eco-centrism is simply common sense, for any conscious being.
~ rk moore

*from an email list

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 09-03-2010 10:24 AM

Is there "pressure" on humanity? If so, why the exploding populations?

I think in reality, there is pressure on most of the rest of the planetary eco-systems. So, by the logic of the OP we should be on the lookout for a pressure induced shift in "consciousness" from every corner of the biosphere except humanity. No?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"If you increase your necessity [pressure], new organs of perception will develop"

This seems to conflict with other schools of philosophy (Taoism?) which emphasis that the way to "perception" is down a path of increasing calmness - the unhewn block, etc.

Unless, first comes an increase in pressure, then a decrease - or a rapid transition into a Taoist mentality including absolute simplicity of living, refusal to assert coercive authority, etc.

I don't know... I'm guessing because the OP sparked an interest...
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-03-2010 10:44 AM

Doesn't Tolle say people are under that pressure? He's constantly talking about how people are (or have gone) insane...not sure I understand the distinction being made there.

Tolle has come under lots of attacks recently, though I still listen to some of his talks. I like his wry, German sense of humor. It's interesting to note all the competitiveness and backbiting in that community. There's a whole slew of creepy, self-proclaimed "gurus" operating in places like New Mexico.

"Social anarchism" sounds like the theory of anarchism that was popular during the early 20th century -- a voluntarily assumed order that could only be attained through the process of verwirrung, a period of social purgation in which the old order was overthrown...the "tyranny of the bourgeoisie." After that, the Rousseau-like noble savage would be re-integrated with natural law, and everything would be gravy....

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-03-2010 11:54 PM

We are communists. But our communism is not that of the authoritarian school: it is anarchist communism, communism without government, free communism.
http://dwardmac.pitzer.edu/anarchist_ar ... unism.html

"Anarchist-communism" could be another way of saying "eco-centrism" -- maybe.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 09-04-2010 12:46 AM

I think this concept, 'Buddha-spirit as community', expresses very well the nature of the 'evolution of consciousness' that humanity now needs. It is not our souls that are in special need at this time, but our civilization, our species-as-organism.
Wow, this is how I have felt for years. Althought as a person I need to practice what I feel more, its something I am working towards.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 09-04-2010 12:15 PM

In order to achieve "Buddha-spirit as community", will it be necessary to abandon competition as motivator?

I think the answer is yes - imagine how far we could evolve in that direction if we became a co-operative species instead! It's possible that an evolution in consciousness would possible if we embraced our co-operative potential.

Competition and consumption are two pillars of our modern community, and as we have employed what we have been taught, we have become extremely good competitors & consumers.
Last edited by SquidInk on 09-04-2010 12:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Return to “News from a parallel universe”