Celebrities(???) Urge Congress to Stand Up to Trump

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Celebrities(???) Urge Congress to Stand Up to Trump

Post by kbot » 01-09-2017 06:54 AM

So sad.

I thought they were leaving...........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Re: Celebrities(???) Urge Congress to Stand Up to Trump

Post by Doka » 01-09-2017 10:05 AM

Well, they are actors of the Pretend. ::p
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-09-2017 08:40 PM

I'm trying to distinguish between what they are upset with Trump about, and situations where they play evil characters, for which they get paid handsomely, affecting the minds of other people. I guess that when they do it, it's OK......
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 01-09-2017 09:48 PM

Trump was a celebrity when he hosted his TV show "The Apprentice" for 14 years and he had no trouble paling around with all the stars then. And he used his celebrity status to diss politicians he didn't like. But the big baby and his fans don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot. Ba wa wa.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-09-2017 10:12 PM

I hear what you're saying RA, but that argument works with the celebrities as well. "Glass houses" and all.......

Besides, is this really the forum to speak politics?

To me, this just reeks of airs of perceived self-importance by celebrities who just cannot seem to pass up an opportunity to interject themselves. Just my two cents worth.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 01-09-2017 10:50 PM

kbot wrote:Besides, is this really the forum to speak politics?
Well yeah it is because Hollywood is an institution like any other and is full of human beings from all walks of life that have a right to express their opinions along with everybody else.

The argument has been raised that famous artists have no right to use their fame and award shows to express their political concerns. Award ceremonies are their time to celebrate their achievements however they choose. We choose to televise them and we choose to watch them but that doesn't give us the right to gag them. The US Constitution makes no distinction as to who, how and where people exercise their free speech rights. Rich and famous corporate CEO's make their political leanings known all the time with statements and money. What the hell is the difference?

There are many threads on the FF where folks, including you Kbot, have commented on favourite movies and TV shows. But now suddenly entertainment is the root of all evil. The hypocrisy is mind boggling!
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-10-2017 05:25 AM

I don't believe that they are "evil". I just find it both disingenuous that they have no qualms about getting paid well in playing bad while scolding us on BEING evil characters.

I also think its amusing that some celebrities preach to us on life's excesses when they live fabulously wealthy lives themselves.

Its an either/or situation, isn't it? To live your beliefs and what/ how you tell the world how we all should live using a worldwide media venue to do it - and then retreat behind your gated community?

At its core, I guess the obvious question is "Is this how these people really feel, or are they just reading from another script?".

Although, another way of phrasing the question is, "Why should we even care what these people think, and why should their views carry any more weight than anyone else's voice?"

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-10-2017 10:55 AM

Seems like there is enough "hypocrisy" for any one who wants to jump on the "Flat Earth Express". The idea is that a coin only has one side is a popular, but incorrect liberal theory. In that respect , Streep, jumped in with both feet, her rights are protected to do so.

These Beautiful People, are under the impression, that they are superior in some way, well, most are in the money department but that's about it. They forget how they got to be stars, they forget that if was not for the "Mixed Bag" of humans that went to their movies and liked them. With out the "Mixed Bag" of people they would be nothing. They spend their lives pretending to be someone else , feeding off the adoration of others and are narcissistic by nature to the point of making themselves into the gods and goddesses they truly believe themselves to be.

Of course there are exceptions, but those are the ones you'll never or very rarely hear from.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-11-2017 04:00 PM

Doka wrote:
These Beautiful People, are under the impression, that they are superior in some way, well, most are in the money department but that's about it.
Almost seems to be a job requirement with the more outspoken.......

Riddick
Pirate

My Country 'Tis Of Thee Sweet Land Of Celebrity (!?)

Post by Riddick » 01-12-2017 01:51 AM

Maybe more outspoken celebrities should put their money where their mouths are? By that, I mean don't just talk the talk, actually walk the walk! Run for public office.

Trump opened the door, now it's up to the next generation of politicians to step up - Stars of today, leaders of tomorrow: celebrities remaking the nation in their image -

Don't believe me? Just wait and see. President Miley Cyrus'll make America greater!
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Re: My Country 'Tis Of Thee Sweet Land Of Celebrity (!?)

Post by kbot » 01-12-2017 05:21 AM

Riddick wrote:Maybe more outspoken celebrities should put their money where their mouths are? By that, I mean don't just talk the talk, actually walk the walk! Run for public office.

Trump opened the door, now it's up to the next generation of politicians to step up - Stars of today, leaders of tomorrow: celebrities remaking the nation in their image -

Don't believe me? Just wait and see. President Miley Cyrus'll make America greater!
There are some celebrities who have made the switch from Hollywood to politics. I thought that there were parts of President Obama's farewell speech that were very good, such as his exhortation to people to get out there and do something.

Here Are 12 Celebrities Who Went from Hollywood to Political Office

By Kara Pendleton

While Donald Trump gets some flak for being a celebrity running for political office, he's far from the first to do so. Not only have the famous not shied away from running for office, America hasn't shied away from voting them in.

The following are just a dozen of the celebrities who have served as elected officials in the U.S.A:

1. Ronald Reagan

Republican. 40th President of the United States, 1981 to 1989; 33rd Governor of California, 1967 to 1975.

One of the most well-known celebs to make it in the world of politics, Reagan won in a landslide against Jimmy Carter in the 1980 presidential election, getting 489 electoral votes to Carter's 49.

He repeated his success with another landslide win for his second term, “sweeping at least 48 states.” He got 525 electoral votes to Democrat Walter Mondale's 13.

2. Clint Eastwood

Libertarian (formerly Republican). Mayor of Carmel-by-the-Sea (Carmel), California, 1986 to 1988.

Eastwood is well known for both his acting and directing skills. When he won his race for mayor, he did so with 72.5 percent of the vote.

Though often hailed as a hero of conservatives, Eastwood has said he is socially liberal and fiscally conservative, throwing support behind some form of gun control, as well as being pro-choice.

3. Arnold Schwarzenegger

Republican. Governor of California, 2003 to 2011.

A well-known action film star and member of the Kennedy clan by marriage at the time, Schwarzenegger was elected during a recall of Governor Gray Davis, with 48.6 percent of those voting opting for him to replace Davis.

For his second term, The Terminator won with 56 percent of the vote.

4. Sonny Bono

Republican. U.S. Representative, 44th District of California, 1995 to 1998; Mayor of Palm Springs, California, 1988 to 1992.

Born Salvatore Phillip Bono, Sonny was a recording artist best known for his part in the duo, Sonny & Cher. The musicians were married for a short time and had one child together. Elected to Congress in 1994, Bono served until his death in January 1998.

When Bono tragically died in a skiing accident, his widow Mary was elected to his seat shortly thereafter and served in that district until 2003. She then served in California's 45th district until 2013.

5. Fred Grandy

Republican. U.S. Representative, Iowa, 5th District, 1993 to 1995; 6th District, 1987 to 1993.

Best known for his role as “Gopher on hit TV comedy ”The Love Boat," Grandy went almost immediately from television into politics.

He then moved on to radio hosting on Washington, D.C.'s WMAL, where he began working in 2003. He worked most recently as host of “The Grandy Group,” but reportedly left in 2011 under pressure after comments about Islam and domestic terrorism.

6. Al Franken

Democrat. U.S. Senator, Minnesota, 2009 to Present.

Well known for his writing and acting on “Saturday Night Live” through the Seventies and Eighties, Franken narrowly beat incumbent senator Norm Coleman. The margin was low enough that a recount was conducted, which he won, but it made him unable to take his seat until July 2009.

7. Fred Thompson

Republican. U.S. Senator, Tennessee, 1994 to 2003.

Thompson already had a successful career in Hollywood when he became a U.S. senator. He launched an unsuccessful bid for president in the 2008 election.

He continued to act throughout his time in office, most notably on hit TV show “Law & Order,” and up to the time of his death. Thompson passed away November 1, 2015. He may be seen in the upcoming “God's Not Dead 2.”

8. Jerry Springer

Democrat. Mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio, 1977 to 1978.

Springer did things differently from the others on this list, getting into television after his foray into politics. After working as a news anchor of local Cincinnati station WLWT (1982-1993), he began hosting “The Jerry Springer Show” in 1991. He also began doing a podcast in 2015.

9. Jesse Ventura

Independence Party of Minnesota (formerly Reform Party). Governor of Minnesota, 1999 to 2003; Mayor of Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, 1991 to 1995.

Born James George Janos, Ventura gained fame first as a WWF wrestler, then with acting in such films as “Predator” and “The Running Man,” both of which starred another member of our list, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Ventura is most recently known for his lawsuit against American Sniper Chris Kyle, which he continued against Kyle's widow Taya after Chris was killed in November 2013.

10. Ben Jones

Democrat. U.S. Congressman, 4th District of Georgia, 1989 to 1993.

Most known for his role as the loveable “Cooter” on “The Dukes of Hazzard,” Jones has also been actively involved in keeping the show alive via a chain of “Cooter's Museums” and an annual “Dukefest.”

11. Sean Duffy

Republican. U.S. Congressman, 7th District of Wisconsin, 2011 to Present.

Duffy entered the public spotlight as a reality TV star on “The Real World: Boston” and 2002's “Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Battle of the Seasons.” After working as a district attorney from 2002 to 2010, he then entered the political arena.

12. Alan Autry

Republican. Mayor of Fresno, California, 2001 to 2009.

Autry briefly played for the Green Bay Packers in 1976 after which he turned to acting. He is best known for roles on “In the Heat of the Night,” “Grace Under Fire,” and “Hart of Dixie.”

This list represents just some of those celebs who've held office, but they represent only a fraction of those who have run. Many celebrities have spoken of running or have actually run for office, but didn't have successful bids.

­

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 01-13-2017 01:16 AM

So if movie stars wish to speak their mind they should run for office? Why should they have to give up acting careers that they obviously love and run for office in order to try and change the things they disagree with? Since when did the public get to dictate who can speak out and who can't? Sounds like right wing sour grapes to me.

Riddick
Pirate

Why NOT Go With The Flow?

Post by Riddick » 01-13-2017 02:46 AM

Raggedyann wrote:So if movie stars wish to speak their mind they should run for office? Why should they have to give up acting careers that they obviously love and run for office in order to try and change the things they disagree with? Since when did the public get to dictate who can speak out and who can't? Sounds like right wing sour grapes to me.
Strangely enough, RA, would you believe at least so far as I can ascertain, there's absolutely no one here saying celebrities ought not be vocal politically or try to affect change without being willing to run for office? --

That said, in the age of Trump, I'd say the situation might suggest there may be more of an advantage than ever for outspoken celebrated folk to leverage their fame and renown outside of politics to GET INTO politics!
  • WANTED: Famous People For Elected Positions

Household names preferred. Independent wealthiness a plus. Must have demonstrated ability to gain public attention through various means, including but not limited to sheer shamelessness

Not only IS NO prior political experience necessary, career politicians NEED NOT apply.
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-13-2017 07:29 AM

My point in posting some names of celebrities was to highlight the irony of President Obama's farewell speech where he urges people to go out an DO something constructive juxtaposed against the celebrities "I'm gonna leave now" threats........

Riddick
Pirate

Run Away!

Post by Riddick » 01-13-2017 06:54 PM

kbot wrote:My point in posting some names of celebrities was to highlight the irony of President Obama's farewell speech where he urges people to go out an DO something constructive juxtaposed against the celebrities "I'm gonna leave now" threats........
Which is a huge step beyond and even more ironically juxtapositioned than concerned celebs simply not choosing to run for office! OF COURSE there's COPIOUS constructive things ANYONE can do short of leaving private life to enter the political arena -

With what little is private about celebrities' lives, the real sacrifice would be their time: Yet even then there ARE avenues apart of officeholding to positively effect things - Volunteerism, charity, philanthropy. Hey, a country isn't all about the government!!

It stands to reason as a celebrity ascends to America's highest office, likewise a wealth of opportunities await those others who are serious about wanting to make a difference either by direct involvement in politics, or public OR private services

By contrast? On the OTHER end of "When the going gets tough, the tough get going!" there are those who would sooner get the heck outta town.

-Donald Trump Image

Return to “News from a parallel universe”