The State of Our Nation’s Birds

Plants, animals, botanicals, crystals, eco-systems. Wonders of Ga'ia

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

The State of Our Nation’s Birds

Post by Shirleypal » 04-14-2009 03:08 PM

More at link plus chart: http://www.stateofthebirds.org/overview

The United States is home to a tremendous diversity of native birds, with more than 800 species inhabiting terrestrial, coastal, and ocean habitats, including Hawaii. Among these species, 67 are federally listed as endangered or threatened. An additional 184 are species of conservation concern because of their small distribution, high threats, or declining populations.

Successful conservation requires information about the population status of every species to ensure the survival of endangered birds and to manage common species so they never become threatened. This report presents a new synthesis of major bird-monitoring databases, including data from thousands of citizen scientists and professional biologists. We used data from three continentwide monitoring programs to create bird population indicators for major U.S. habitats, reflecting the health of these habitats and the environmental services they provide. These habitat indicators are based on the population changes of obligate species—those that are restricted to a single habitat and are most sensitive to environmental changes. We supplemented this information with data from many other surveys that focus on species that are rare, endangered, or difficult to monitor, such as ocean birds. (See Methods section)

The results reflect the influence of human activities and global change on our nation’s birds. Every U.S. habitat harbors birds in need of conservation. Hawaiian birds and ocean birds appear most at risk, with populations in danger of collapse if immediate conservation measures are not implemented. Bird populations in grassland and aridland habitats show the most rapid declines over the past 40 years. Birds that depend on forests are also declining.

In contrast, wetland species, wintering coastal birds, and hunted waterfowl show increasing populations during the past 40 years, reflecting a strong focus during this period on wetlands conservation and management.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 04-15-2009 01:25 AM

Our "lighting" the world at night, which is KNOWN and proved to have bad repercussions on migration patterns, availability to reproduce in natural climates, etc. And it NOT just the birds--it's ALL migrating species. We (the human race) is killing them off just as rapidly as we're killing off ourselves. And we've depriving ourselves of natrual sleep patterns which are necessary to sustain our own human race. Look it up...you'll see...
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 04-15-2009 10:30 AM

I take part in Cornell's Feeder Watch project. It's a fairly informal account by amatuers, such as myself, who feed birds in their yard and track the comings and goings of who comes to their feeders and when. The 2008-09 season just ended and I have a couple of anomalies in my count this year vs. pervious years (the goldfinches and nuthatches have not yet returned) and am anxious to see this years results of other watches in my area. Whether it is due to our longer and harsher than normal winter or whether their migration pattern has been disturbed some how, I am hoping to learn.:(
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Return to “The Natural World”