Halloween recipes

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Halloween recipes

Post by Linnea » 10-20-2002 06:37 PM

PUMPKIN SEED PESTO

Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 20 min

6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups unsalted hulled (green) pumpkin seeds
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup water
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
4 scallions, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook pumpkin seeds with salt and pepper to taste, stirring constantly, until seeds are puffed and beginning to pop (some will brown, but do not let all of them), about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Transfer to a plate and cool completely.

Pulse seed mixture in a food processor with water, cilantro, scallions, and remaining 4 tablespoons oil until mixture forms a coarse paste (not finely ground). Transfer to a bowl and stir in lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.

Cooks' note:

• You can make pesto 2 days ahead and chill, its surface and top of bowl covered with plastic wrap. Bring to room temperature and season before serving.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 10-27-2002 12:52 AM

George Noorys red hot chili:
Choose any brand of canned chili. Buy it. Bring it home. Place can in microwave. Set on high........
Scrape chili from walls, ceiling, your face, and the inside of microwave. Place in bowl.(The plastic one with the pic of the "duckie" on the bottom will do) Add crackers. Enjoy.....

seattlegal
Pirate

Post by seattlegal » 10-08-2004 01:42 PM

Bump! :D

My young son's favorite Halloween treat:
"Ghosts in the Graveyard"
Chocolate pudding in a shallow pan, topped with crushed oreo cookies (to look like dirt.) Turn it into a "graveyard" by decorating with cookie "tombstones", whipped dream "ghosts," Halloween candy jack-o-lanterns, etc. Yum... :p
Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.
-- Yoda

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-10-2004 10:51 AM

Almost forgotten these delightful things - probably cause kids are all grown - and grandkids are just getting into the 'spirit' of the Halloween time.

Decorate those pumpkins with marking pens -- then you can later use the pumpkins for pies...

Toasted seeds used to be a favorite. After carving pumpkins, wash and dry the seeds (make sure you get rid of any pumpkin bits that sometimes cling to seeds). Soak for 2-3 days in heavy salt water. Then place on cookies sheet in low oven until seeds are cooked. Cool -- make great snacks.

SIMPLE one - take oreo cookies, bag of the little orange pumpkin candies. Make a small amount of white (or orange) frosting to use as glue and top each cookie with an orange candy pumpkin.

Post by Guest » 10-18-2004 03:46 PM

Linnea

Maybe you could Open a Whole subject devoted to Recipes from board members

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 10-18-2004 07:13 PM

The secrets out why no one eats Chili with George. LOL

Take a flower pot fill it with crushed up oreo cookies
layered with gummy wiggly worms
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

seattlegal
Pirate

Post by seattlegal » 10-19-2004 12:32 AM

Put a layer of chopped almonds in a shallow pan, arrange some unwrapped Almond Roca candies on top, and attach a cardboard "black cat" to the side of the pan as a backdrop. :eek: :p
Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.
-- Yoda

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-19-2004 09:46 AM

maryals -- for taste -- delicious apples. Also try chocolate crackle mix for dipping!

seattlegal
Pirate

Post by seattlegal » 10-19-2004 12:38 PM

Candied Apples: I think you can melt "Red Hots" cinnamin candies with a small amount of water to the hard crack stage, let cool slightly, and dip your apples. You have to be careful about storing candied apples, or the coating will "weep."
-- Yoda

NeelyGirl
Pirate

Post by NeelyGirl » 10-19-2004 12:49 PM

Traditional Pumpkin Pie

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp.ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground cloves
1-1/2 cups (12 oz can) evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 & 3/4 cups ( 15 once can) pumpkin filling

TIP: You can substitute pumpkin pie spice for all the individual spices. Use 3 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice instead.
PREPARATION
Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in a small bowl. Beat the eggs lightly in a separate large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and dry mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

Press a pre-made pie crust into a 9-inch deep dish pie crust and cook according to directions on the package. Pour mixture into the pie shell.

BAKING
Cook in a pre-heated 425º F. oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the temp to 350º F., and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife tip inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack or a cool counter top for 2 hours before serving. This also gives it time to set up, so when you cut it and set it on a plate, it will stay in one piece
STORAGE & SERVING
Store in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Chilling will cause the crust to separate from the pie slightly but it's better then getting botulism.

Top with a whipped cream and there you have it! A classic pumpkin pie!
Wiggle your big toe.

seattlegal
Pirate

Post by seattlegal » 10-20-2004 12:18 AM

-- Yoda

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-20-2004 10:54 AM

I like using fresh pumpkin whenever possible for making pies or bread.

The key is to making the cut chunks into mush!

Carve your pumpkin and remove as much of the pumpkin flesh as possible. Chunk into small pieces and cook - add enough water to keep it from scorching. Once it is cooked, put it into a blender to make it as "mushy" as possible.

Then follow your favorite recipe for pie, bread, muffins or etc.

- - -

Another favorite around here are the little candy mints that you make and turn into whatever shape you desire. While the original recipe called for making snowmen mint candies, I have adapted this to make a variety of shapes (colored using standard food coloring) - to create ghosts, witches hats, pumpkins (with faces), and whatever desired. Nothing quite like having a candy mint after a meal... even the kids enjoy them.

NeelyGirl
Pirate

Post by NeelyGirl » 10-21-2004 11:34 PM

I like using fresh pumpkin whenever possible for making pies or bread.

I know, I know.. I should use fresh Cherry:o But i did just start to "really" cook about 3 years ago..before it was all the helpers..Tuna, Hamburger, and Chicken...blech!!!

It will be my goal to try and use fresh:)
Wiggle your big toe.

seattlegal
Pirate

Post by seattlegal » 10-23-2004 05:38 AM

NeelyGirl wrote: I know, I know.. I should use fresh Cherry:o But i did just start to "really" cook about 3 years ago..before it was all the helpers..Tuna, Hamburger, and Chicken...blech!!!

It will be my goal to try and use fresh:)

There is a problem trying to use fresh pumpkin: the stores generally get rid of pumpkins after Halloween. However, you can substitute winter squash or yams for pumpkin in most recipes.
-- Yoda

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 10-23-2004 06:56 AM

seattlegal wrote: Put a layer of chopped almonds in a shallow pan, arrange some unwrapped Almond Roca candies on top, and attach a cardboard "black cat" to the side of the pan as a backdrop. :eek: :p

Candied catbox? :D
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Return to “Garden & Galley”