Mexico bound......

For 20 years now I've had a dream of sailing my own boat off into the sunset.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 01-25-2005 07:39 AM

He's here, safe and sound.
I think he's gonna love it here...
In a day or two we'll get some photos up on the Net if Meggers can work my camera. And if he's not too hungover from that single Cuba, I'm buying him breakfast this morning!
I love meeting pirates. ;) :) :cool:
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Devastated

Post by Devastated » 02-02-2005 08:21 AM

Megman is staying at my house and will housesit when I go north for doctors. I'm trying to find some days when I feel well enough to travel. Phots coming soon. Got to find my camera. xxDev

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 02-02-2005 07:43 PM

Hey you two glad to see your visiting.

Watch out in that there Mexico, I hear tell on the news that people are getting kidnapped left and right.

Stay safe both of you.

Devastated

Post by Devastated » 02-03-2005 07:37 AM

Good God, Tiff. All of a sudden you believe the crap from the State Department? This is not what you post elsewhere in the ship. It is crap, by the way. Come to Mexico, drive in the daytime, have fun. Don't shack up on the border, or you may end up either dead or with a low-paying job in the kitchen at Crawford.

Yes, apparently there have been some problems on the border. Drugs, CIA. Innocent people may have been hurt.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 02-03-2005 11:05 AM

5 pesos for every photo LOL:D

Ya, if you want to get kidnapped go to Guatemala. Heck of a lot more of that sort of thing going on there. :eek:

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 02-03-2005 12:47 PM

Dev, there was a large piece on the news (you might have seen it) about two young women who went to a border town (Forgot the name, but I think bordering Texas.) They had called on their cell phone just four blocks from the US border to have family meet them on the US side for dinner. They showed where they called from and you could see the US flag and it was a busy intersection.
They had gone to the Mexican side to celebrate one of their birthdays and were in their car when this happened to them.
They found the car some miles away.

They said that many people are getting kidnapped (both male and female) in these towns for ransom, money, or whatever else.

So this is not true? How am I supposed to know.

So Dev, tell us if it is safe to live in Mexico. I have felt that there is not much law there and that you are at risk as you have no rights, etc. I know, it's what I have heard.

Is it nice to live there? How is food availability, medical, etc.

I am really interested and never been there. Although my husband is Mexican American and lived for a short time in Durango, Durango where his parents were from. He said there was sewer water running down the street. And everyone had to boil their water to use. This was about 12 years ago.

So Meg, glad you were not kidnapped. Why so much kidnapping there.

Glad you two are fine.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 02-03-2005 03:06 PM

Tiffany, have you been watching Man on Fire? ;)

What is the terror alert in Mex? Orange, rojo, verde? Blue skies on your journey Dev. You should get someone to travel with you tho.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 02-03-2005 05:52 PM

Pimientas candentes del chile :cool:

And the weather is chili today, hot tamale:D

deeremom
Pirate

Thanks, megman

Post by deeremom » 02-03-2005 07:51 PM

And my thanks to Mike for helping me work thru some trojan invasion ... using his valuable net cafe time.

Hoping for a better tomorrow, my dear ;)

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 02-04-2005 12:17 AM

Dev, Meg,

No Mas queria saber poco informacion de Mexico!;)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Re: Thanks, megman

Post by Dale O Sea » 02-04-2005 05:16 AM

deeremom wrote: And my thanks to Mike for helping me work thru some trojan invasion ... using his valuable net cafe time.

Hoping for a better tomorrow, my dear ;)
So you lost my email address?

I would have helped you Pat. Gladly. :D

Devastated

Post by Devastated » 02-04-2005 07:50 AM

tiffany wrote: They said that many people are getting kidnapped (both male and female) in these towns for ransom, money, or whatever else.

So this is not true? How am I supposed to know.

So Dev, tell us if it is safe to live in Mexico. I have felt that there is not much law there and that you are at risk as you have no rights, etc. I know, it's what I have heard.

Is it nice to live there? How is food availability, medical, etc.

I am really interested and never been there. Although my husband is Mexican American and lived for a short time in Durango, Durango where his parents were from. He said there was sewer water running down the street. And everyone had to boil their water to use. This was about 12 years ago.

So Meg, glad you were not kidnapped. Why so much kidnapping there.
Well, Tiff, I don't know. I've only been here 25 years. Nobody I know has ever been kidnapped. Apparently there are problems around Matamoros. I believe Meg's problem was that he was traveling with no cash on a weekend.
My friend went to the women's school at Brown University. There was an open sewer running right through Providence.
I have answered these questions extensively and previously. It is always a good idea to be on guard in a foreign country and not hang around the border area for too long. I was by myself for a week in TJ at a clinic for a week and went back to the hotel when the sun went down. Why look for problems? Or maybe I've just been lucky.
Why would I live here for 27 years if I didn't like it?
I left the U.S. on purpose and I haven't looked back. The expatriate life may be an odd or unusual choice, but I have much less to bitch about than folks who don't realize they actually have choices.
Dale, I agree I should have a travel partner but I don't. The reason I need a companion has to do with my body's propensity to try to betray me at stupid times. Not because I'm going to get kidnapped on the way to the airport or at DFW. Maybe by a crazy in Palm Springs?

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 02-04-2005 01:04 PM

Dale, I agree I should have a travel partner but I don't. The reason I need a companion has to do with my body's propensity to try to betray me at stupid times. Not because I'm going to get kidnapped on the way to the airport or at DFW. Maybe by a crazy in Palm Springs? -Dev
I was thinking more for someone to keep you company, navigate and roll. ;)

deeremom
Pirate

Thanks Dale!

Post by deeremom » 02-04-2005 04:55 PM

Dale, I checked and do not have your email address. We've mainly used PM's. If you have mine, please drop me an e and I'll surely ask for your help in the future :)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 02-04-2005 05:39 PM

It's posted in the Gallery and in some other threads around. I just thought you might have it. You'll have to remove the line feed:

nitegh0st1111
@gmail.com

Return to “Lost Harbour & Dry Dock”