Outdoor planting

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

benner
Pirate

Outdoor planting

Post by benner » 01-29-2003 10:14 AM

Hi all,

For the first time I have an outdoor garden space (tiny!!!). I have a backyard that measures about 10foot by 14foot(long), and borders right on fences of my neighbors (I'm on the bottom floor of a triplex).

I am really an indoor gardener and have never really looked into outdoor plants.

So for you gurus:

1. What is a good fast growing climber I can get going beside my house (I love vines - was thinking of Morning Glory).

2. Shrubs that could provide some privacy within a summer or two (FAST growing!)

3. A nice easy mix of flowers for a small bed (we love lilies)

4. A good website with planting tips (when to plant, what are good companion plants etc).

I am in Quebec, so obviously have a short growing season.

Thanks!

Benner
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you - if you don't play, you can't win.

-Robert Heinlein

Wildcard
Pirate

Post by Wildcard » 01-30-2003 12:32 AM

Hi - Benner
I'll let some of the 'gurus' give you specific advice, but I thought you might enjoy this site. It's very specific to your location and has some good resources.

Northern Garden

Enjoy your new garden space.

------------------
"The Wildcard line..."
"The Wildcard line..."

benner
Pirate

Post by benner » 01-30-2003 10:33 AM

Now that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for... Not only gurus Image

Just what has worked for you, what are your favorites (and why maybe...).

Thanks Wild!
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you - if you don't play, you can't win.

-Robert Heinlein

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 01-30-2003 12:16 PM

benner - welcome to the group here! That link should provide a great deal! You might also try Gurney's Seed and Nursery (think they have web site you'll have to do google search).

Morning glories do climb, but are a bit of a nuisance too. Your neighbors might not be too happy with them as they spread everywhere.

I have yet to find a really GOOD quick growing hedge most require a few years. Depending on heighth, I like portullaca - short maybe 2 foot tall with flowers that bloom from spring to frost. Barberry also has a hedge that only gets to 4-6 foot, some can get taller - need trimming.

Annual flowers do very well and bring color to your yard. Get seeds, start them indoors! If you want heighth go for the tallest varieties. If you want something unique - get the same type of annual in three or four growing heighths and mass plant. (again starting indoors will give you a good headstart for short growing season.)

Since you have a fence to work with - what about doing hanging baskets off the top part of the fence? I do that with my spider plants (and bring them indoors in winter) They can provide a mass of greenery at top, just grow colorful annuals at bottom.

ONE KEY WORD - MASS PLANT - and plant closer together than recommended! You'll get a much better showing of flowers.

lutefisk
Pirate

Post by lutefisk » 01-30-2003 06:44 PM

Hi Benner, I have had good success with Clematis vines. They are a bit slow at first, but, by the 2nd year they are quite the showy ones! I have 5 myself. The Montana hybrids or species are good bloomers the first year. All you have to do is give them a bit of a trim to shape and off they go covering themselves with faintly "chocolate-vanilla" scented blooms of powdery pink.

Another permanent vine is a wisteria. I have one growing on a home-made, sturdy, wooden arbor. They are lovely and get better year after year. IF you want blooms quickly, make sure and get an older one. If you don't you'll be waiting years for it to bloom. Every year mine covers itself with purple and cream and smells like honey and sweetpeas mixed. I just prune off all the runners every year and give it some lime and ashes as I live where the soil is so acid!

Heathers and viburnum davidii are low growers that are hardy, Hellebore's offer a variety of colors now and are hardy too. Columbines take a year to bloom, but, are so beautiful and worth it. you just sprinkle the seed where you want it. Larkspurs are lovely and come up the same year if you sprinkle the seeds where they can have at least a month of good chill.

My friend ordered 25 lily bulbs and planted them ALL in a big, half, wine-barrel with good soil. WHAT A SHOW!!! It was amazing!

Here are some good sources for lilies and other plants. www.dutchbulbs.com and
www.VanDycks.com

I've had good luck with these people. Short seasons are a real challenge aren't they?!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 01-31-2003 12:11 PM

lutefisk - oh that does sound like quite a show! I double row a lot of perennials or stagger row them and they do very nicely! I also put tulip bulbs and later blooming bulbs in same area to keep a yr long color.

For some reason I cannot get clematis to grow here - in spite of my green thumb - I think it could be the soil... Anything is possible as they say. But I have such a variety of color now that I have given thought to digging out some of the groups and moving them...

I have numerous hollyhocks and the hybrids have produced throw backs to earlier color groups. The neatest one last year was a two toned lavendar and white -- the little offshoots from this will be moved to a sunnier location as they are still nice and green.

NOTE: IF your area is dry in the winter - be sure to provide water on a warm day. Soak the soil around the plant. It will help it make it through a dry winter.

benner
Pirate

Post by benner » 01-31-2003 12:16 PM

Hey thanks everyone! Will be ordering seeds and bulbs soon...

Dry winter? Yes, but it is also -25 to -40 C, so that is the real problem..

How about a clematis that I could move inside in the winter? Plant in a big box and prune it down be4 it goes inside.. Anyone do this kind of thing?

We want to do some veggies too, cherry tomatoes etc.. How about asparagus (I love asparagus)?

-Robert Heinlein

starwind
Pirate

Post by starwind » 01-31-2003 02:27 PM

Think Snowdrops! They actually grow in/under the snow starting in January. Mine go 'til mid-March. They are small, white w/green inside. Look almost like minature orchids. They need little care.

They provide an amazing lift on cold, grey winter days!
"Take what you want," said God, "but pay." An old Spanish proverb

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 02-02-2003 12:22 PM

Benner,

Definitely consider Clematis...it is slow at first but it's worth the wait and it will last through the rough winters! Image By the time it starts blooming you will be amazed at the color!

Mark

Return to “Garden & Galley”