Emerging Edge of Evolution

Alternate news source. Reporters-at-large

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Emerging Edge of Evolution

Post by Linnea » 05-29-2005 11:10 PM

...from Tom Atlee's Blog [Co-Intelligence Institute]

[excerpt...]

To many of us, humanity's current patterns of complexity, simplicity, cooperation, competition and intelligence seem to be leading us inexorably towards global destruction. We feel an urge to do something about that, but feel so small in the face of it. We might take heart in the fact that our urge to do something is evolution, itself, at work within us at this moment: Life rising up in life -- within us and among us -- in the face of new dangers and opportunities -- to transform itself, to learn, to innovate new patterns of complexity, simplicity, cooperation, competition and intelligence that will serve our survival -- and thrival -- once again.

As we hit the limits of this one earth, the elegance of our solutions will necessarily expand us and deepen us into realms we barely imagined. We ARE evolution, unfolding consciously for the first time. There is no adventure remotely like this one, and we are all on it.

My own piece of this adventure is to help explore the relationship between various forms of individual, collective and universal intelligence, and how we can expand and deepen those -- and into those -- to bring forth wiser forms of cooperation -- and competition -- to co-create cultures that serve equally well the life within us and the life around us, and the healthy evolution of it all.

We are All. In This. Together.

Blessings on the Journey.

http://www.communicationagents.com/tom_atlee/index.htm

sayntbrigid
Pirate

Post by sayntbrigid » 05-30-2005 05:03 AM

Thank you for that beautifull sentiment Linnea
It is beautifull to watch the struggle to understand, and the communication and cooperation on these boards among those of various intelligence levels, different skills and understanding, all stiving toward the same goal, as you have described.
There is fortunately a lot of friendship and laughter here, but beneath it, the pain is very deep and apparent.
To all of you, thank you for sharing with me, and Linnea, thank you for accepting me (even though I messed up my email address thingy really bad ) LOL

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-30-2005 06:58 PM

Thanks for sharing this with us, Linn. I agree with the author. And I believe.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-30-2005 07:54 PM

A real pleasure to have you onboard, sayntbrigid :) - and so gooood to also see you here, Joolz! :) Have you checked out Atlee's new blog? Very nice...

Oh, and Joolz. There is a new crow friend here at the seatac outback. Has a nest nearby... I hope I learn from her. She is a treasure.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-31-2005 02:01 AM

It feels good to be here again, Linn. :) I bookmarked the link you posted, but hadn't seen it til you posted this.

Cool about your new crow friend! The corvids in our neighborhood are having a territorial dispute lately. LOL First, there were just jays here in our back garden, then the crows decided they wanted a piece of the action (our garden is paradise, you see... and there is always food summer and winter here because we provide for them freely). Well, the jays and the crows worked it out, but now the magpies have decided they want in on it, too, so they are horning in, too. And they are quite noisy about it! Quite comical all in all. I hope they all work it out because we want them all to stay. Oh, and then, there are the squirrels, but that's another story! Lots of young ones and they are so much fun to watch. :D They are all treasures, indeed.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-03-2005 05:12 AM

to co-create cultures that serve equally well the life within us and the life around us, and the healthy evolution of it all.
Thank you for posting this lovely and inspiring piece for us, Linnea. It's much appreciated. Where is Atlee's blog, please?

How fun to have the crow to watch! We have crows here, and a darling family of little red-headed woodpeckers. I'm sure you'll enjoy your crow. :)
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 06-03-2005 05:50 AM

Yes, thank you for the cut from Atlee's blog. I read this the other day, and visited his site, but didn't post a response here. (Did you get my email, Linn?) I don't recall reading his writings before, and they are inspiring.
Iris wrote: Thank you for posting this lovely and inspiring piece for us, Linnea. It's much appreciated. Where is Atlee's blog, please?

How fun to have the crow to watch! We have crows here, and a darling family of little red-headed woodpeckers. I'm sure you'll enjoy your crow. :)

I love the woodpeckers! There are Lewis' woodpeckers here.

Sidebar:

OK you bird folks, do you have any ideas what I can do? My cat is a fine fat fellow, and doesn't need a bird meal!

Hear is the deal: This year I have a nesting pair of Western tanager's. I am worried about them because my Rocket cat is such a good hunter, and the birds are very tame. I have taken to chasing them out of the yard ,but it doesn't seem to be working. Their nest must be very close by because they are here most of the day. Yesterday I was sitting on my steps with my little torch making headpins, and the male hopped to within a foot of my feet. I talked to him for a while then clapped my hands to scare him off, but he just stood there, looking at me. So I stood up, and waved my arms and he flew off, but was back in a few minutes.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 06-03-2005 06:03 AM

Nice thread, Linn.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-24-2005 01:02 PM

Iris - just got back to this thread! Tom Atlee's Blog is at the link in the first post here. Once on the link, you can navigate.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-27-2005 10:00 AM

Birds in plenty!

I have written before about the nesting swallows and being able to watch the hatchlings for the past few summers. Grandkids get the joy of seeing them up fairly close too. We have robins, bluejays, cardinals, tanengers (sp?), wrens and hummingbirds who love the petunia hanging baskets.

This year we have quail in the horse pasture - my stallion protects them from the neighbor dogs - quite comical to see at times. Mama Quail and think 5 maybe 6 small ones go parading in the pasture under the watchful eye of the stallion.

In the pond next door are a pair of Canadians who had two little ones this year who matured and are making their presence known. Up in the back pasture we have golden eagles - what a big surprise that was to find their nest in the top of a huge tree. We (neighbors) were all a bit concerned about these beautiful birds when the ice storm - back in 93 - destroyed several nests throughout the region, but it seems they have found suitable trees for their new nesting places.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 06-27-2005 02:05 PM

Sandy... we have the same problem with our Callie cat. She is a bird-catcher. :( The best we've come up with is to put belled collars on all the cats. It does help, but they seem to eventually figure out how to move without sounding the bell. It might help you in the immediate future with Rocket, tho. We added a second bell to Callie's collar and that helped, too.

We also go into freak-out mode if we find her with a bird and make her give it to us. She knows she isn't supposed to catch birds. So maybe that helps as well... but sometimes her instincts get the better of her. We can tell that she knows we don't like it, but she is CAT, and what we humans think doesn't always matter a hell of a lot.

We have woodpeckers, too, BTW. Ours are Nuttall's Woodpeckers and they have nests in the big sycamores in the front of our house.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-30-2005 05:00 AM

I just got back to it too -- thanks Linn! :)
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Return to “Alt News Blog”