Alt News Blog

Alternate news source. Reporters-at-large

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Alt News Blog

Post by Linnea » 06-24-2005 11:03 AM

I have seen the efforts here on the forum, to have a place where we can post alternate news that inspires, celebrates and encourages. This thread is to bring all these energies here, in one place, where we can gather in strength. Let's build it!
A blessing and invocation. :)

'The source of all creation is pure consciousness...pure potentiality seeking expression from the unmanifest to the manifest.

And when we realize that our true self is one of pure potentiality, we align with the power that manifests everything in the universe.'

~ Chopra

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 06-24-2005 12:10 PM

Cool thanks Linnea :)

Linnea

"California's Galapagos" sees a rebound of its res

Post by Linnea » 06-24-2005 12:40 PM

Light streaming blessing, SetisLady.

Great news! Article from the Seattle Times today. I focus on this joyful event, and am with the gulls on this one!

"California's Galapagos" sees a rebound of its residents ~ Friday, June 24th

By Mike Taugher/Knight Ridder newspapers

[excerpt...]

...the declines are now reversing.

During the past five years, several seabird populations have begun to rebound. One researcher estimates that, barring disaster, the bird populations will take off in the next two to three years.

"I'm making the prediction that we are going to see very large population increases," said Bill Sydeman, marine-ecology director for the Point Reyes Bird Observatory.

The Farallon Islands are sometimes referred to as California's Galapagos Islands, after the teeming South American islands Charles Darwin visited in 1831.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/n ... rds24.html

Thousands of murres and cormorants carpet the west face of the biggest island in the Farallon National Wildlife Refuge.

fabzilla
Pirate

Post by fabzilla » 06-24-2005 12:42 PM

Must be something in the air!

:D

Great idea Linn.

There was a media crew floating around last night, I tried to avoid them at all costs!

They were chuckling at the C2C playing in the background of the house I was working on last night, quite funny indeed.

Sorry for the babble

peace...

fab

;)
Ah drrr drrr drrr

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-24-2005 12:46 PM

Ah ha! Nice to see you fab! I can visualize that scene....looking forward to some great wit and reports from over your way.
;)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-24-2005 12:52 PM

I hope we can agree, to not post large blocks of articles here, or entire articles. I think you may also agree, that the smaller posts (couple of paragraphs?) - along with the energy of our own thoughts - are somehow more alive. As reporters-at-large, let's share our own thoughts, joy, and intention.

Linnea

A bird's eye view?

Post by Linnea » 06-24-2005 08:15 PM

Found this about chickadees on CNN.

Study finds chickadees communicate using complex code. Would be interesting to be able to translate. Probably learn much.

'...research joins a growing body of studies that suggest birds use complex communications and tools. Studies have shown that birds dream, rehearse their songs and have regional dialects.

"I guess the take-home message is this is probably true of many animals. Many animals communicate much more sophisticated information than we realize because we are not in a position to understand their language," Templeton said.'

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/06 ... index.html

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-27-2005 09:50 AM

Local report from a large gardens area - tourist attraction as various flowers bloom throughout the spring to fall time period.

Butterfly counts are up. Following two years of decreased numbers of butterflies, this summer the count has increased though still not quite to the population count of late 90's.

- - -
I've noticed more this year on my own flower beds too. :)

Joolz
Pirate

Re: A bird's eye view?

Post by Joolz » 06-27-2005 01:20 PM

Linnea wrote: Found this about chickadees on CNN.

Study finds chickadees communicate using complex code. Would be interesting to be able to translate. Probably learn much.

'...research joins a growing body of studies that suggest birds use complex communications and tools. Studies have shown that birds dream, rehearse their songs and have regional dialects.

"I guess the take-home message is this is probably true of many animals. Many animals communicate much more sophisticated information than we realize because we are not in a position to understand their language," Templeton said.'

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/06 ... index.html

Very interesting, Linn! That birds use complex communications and tools and that they dream is no surprise to me! ;) I see the evidence every day in my own birds, and in my observations of wild birds. They do try to communicate with US as well, I think, and often seem to me to be frustrated and puzzled that the dumb humans just don't 'get it.' heh

I agree that we would learn MUCH were we able to understand the languages of our winged, finned, and four-legged brothers and sisters. We have long been guilty of 'anthrocentrism,' believing arrogantly that WE are the only animals on this planet blessed with the gift of language. Not so! It is possible to get glimpses of their wisdom if we still ourselves enough to hear them with our mind's ears. I have NO doubt whatsoever of the truth of the findings of this study.

You may find this of interest, Linn... I watched what appeared to be two murders of crows in what appeared to be a battle over territory the other day. They were circling above my little plot of land (my back yard), cawing furiously and making a huge racket. One group was using a towering Sequoia a couple of houses down as their perch, and the other group was using an equally tall Cypress a couple of houses away in the opposite direction. I have no idea who won the battle or if my surmise about their squabble was correct, but they definitely made an interesting spectacle to watch on a sunny afternoon! And I have no doubt that they were arguing about something! LOL
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Alt News Blog”