Hemp is a GOOD thing...

National movement to repeal bans on hemp industry. Information, products, grassroots support

Moderator: Super Moderators

Barbie
Pirate

Hemp is a GOOD thing...

Post by Barbie » 03-28-2006 06:28 PM

Clearly the reason no one wants to post here is because they don't want to end up on anyone's "Federal List of Low-Life Hemp Pushers."

Well, I for one think we should be growing and using hemp instead of cutting down more trees.

Do most of you know that books with pages made of hemp can last 500 years? Newspapers made with hemp would save thousands of acres of trees per month. Clothing made from hemp fades far less when it's washed, and lasts a whole lot longer? Those are just THREE good reasons for cultivating hemp. I could go into shoes, and a lot more advantages of it, but I don't know that anyone out there is really interested in knowing...

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 03-28-2006 06:34 PM

Barbie, I highly doubt that is the reason. This is not a pot site.
I agree that hemp should be used commercially.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 03-28-2006 07:08 PM

I eat in my cereal and its perfectly legal. It contains omega 3 & 6. Great stuff. I don't grow it but I buy it at Tradder Joe's market.

Good thread!
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 03-28-2006 07:31 PM

vigo wrote: I eat in my cereal and its perfectly legal. It contains omega 3 & 6. Great stuff. I don't grow it but I buy it at Tradder Joe's market.

Good thread!

What are you talking about vigo?

BTW vigo here is a good free program for you.
http://www.iespell.com
Just right click on your text and click spell check once it is installed.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 03-28-2006 11:03 PM

Shirleypal wrote: What are you talking about vigo?

BTW vigo here is a good free program for you.
http://www.iespell.com
Just right click on your text and click spell check once it is installed.

Thanks Shirleypal. I normally spell and grammar check my posts, but my little rug-rat (2yr old Sammy) was causing chaos on my end. I didn't realize I actually sent it! It was still in production.:o :D

The cereal that I was talking about is made by an organic health food company called Nature's Path Foods, Inc. The cereal is called HempPlus™ Granola. It uses real Hemp combined with other ingredients. It tastes great too. No I don't work for them.
:D

Just thought I'd pass this along considering the thread title.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 03-28-2006 11:17 PM

Thanks vigo, will try it, will check out Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Barbie
Pirate

Hemp & the Federal Government

Post by Barbie » 03-29-2006 01:06 PM

ShirleyPal,

I hate to disagree with you... but there are two major reasons the Feds don't want hemp to be the next huge boom: the Lumber Industry, and the appearance of impropriety.

You can laugh if you want, but I'm old enough to remember that in WWII the government grew huge hemp fields in the midwest because it made stronger and better rope to be used in the war effort. Then, after its cousin - pot - became so popular with the Blues and Jazz crowd in the late 1940s and early 1950s, ANYTHING even vaguely related to marijuana became villified. The whole time I was growing up, the Federal Government paid local law enforcement to burn out all the hemp fields that re-grew. (Burn it, poison it, starve it for water and nutrients, and most of the time it STILL re-seeds itself and starts growing, again! Hemp is very resilient.) The county in which I grew up did this over and over, and are probably still trying to kill it all, even today.

And, a few years back Canada paid a few of its farmers to participate in a government sponsored program by planting several acres of hemp instead of their normal wheat, corn, or soy. I know about this because one of my best friends was one of those farmers. He and the other farmers, while they are out spreading seed in the fields, have a habit of chewing on whatever seeds they're planting. He says this is just something they do while they're riding the tractors. So, this particular season, most of them were chewing on the hemp seeds while they sowed. He said by the end of the day everyone who was chewing the seeds was high... and the next morning they all woke up with the worst hangovers anyone could ever remember having. So, cousin or not, there's enough THC in the hemp seeds to give a buzz if enough of them are ingested. (I was never aware anyone could get a buzz from hemp seeds until Tom talked about it during a visit.) Insofar as the government program went... Tom said the U.S. put so much pressure on the Canadians over the hemp fields that year, the Canadians abandoned the program. Tom said he never was informed why the Canadians wanted it grown; only that 10 farmers in his area were subsidized for growing it.

I also remember the big flap in California, a few years ago, over clothing made from hemp. Kids were actually expelled from school if they wore anything made from hemp and the teachers saw the label. Some back-packs were made with hemp because they hold up better with day-to-day abuse, but even those back-packs were reason enough to be ousted from school. I think that has died down; haven't heard anything in the past five or 6 years about the clothing and the back-packs.

Aside from the lumber industry which obviously would be threatened if using hemp instead of trees became important, again, there IS our federal government's fear of the appearance of impropriety, even though there were, a few years back, U.S. Agriculture funded fields of actual marijuana grown, allegedly for the manufacture of Marinol and the testing by the FDA to learn if there is any theraputic value in the THC.

Hemp could solve a lot of problems if used wisely. I'm not sure Hemp Christmas trees would be a resounding success, but the oil is better for artists who paint with oil paints. I for one would love to see hemp utilized more readily, and save as many trees as we possibly can.

Subbacultcha
Pirate

Post by Subbacultcha » 03-29-2006 01:19 PM

All good points Barbie.

Also this site is what you make of it. If you want to talk about Hemp or the legalization of Pot, go right ahead.

Lockhart77
Pirate

Post by Lockhart77 » 03-29-2006 01:44 PM

now cmon people, seriously...do you want to smoke it, or make rope...? just being honest..:) (Im gonna get sooo bashed)..
"there are moments when, even to the sober eye of reason, the world of our sad humanity may assume the semblance of a Hell"
Edgar Allen Poe

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 03-29-2006 05:54 PM

Lockhart77 wrote: now cmon people, seriously...do you want to smoke it, or make rope...? just being honest..:) (Im gonna get sooo bashed)..

I just found out I have asthma and can not smoke it, however a good rope can come in handy. When you get to the end of it you can tie a knot and hang on.:D

Lockhart77
Pirate

Post by Lockhart77 » 03-29-2006 07:50 PM

vigo wrote: I just found out I have asthma and can not smoke it, however a good rope can come in handy. When you get to the end of it you can tie a knot and hang on.:D
Oh Vigo, hope You do not mean that..:(
"there are moments when, even to the sober eye of reason, the world of our sad humanity may assume the semblance of a Hell"
Edgar Allen Poe

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 03-30-2006 12:52 AM

Lockhart77 wrote: Oh Vigo, hope You do not mean that..:(
Which part? The asthma thing or tying the rope?

Oh I think I know what you meant. Suicide? ...nah I meant like when life is tough and you are at the end of your rope tie a knot in it and hang on, somebody will be by to help you out.

My wife said she read it and thought the same thing :o I meant it as a positive "hang in there kinda thing."

Where is that rock...I need to find a place to crawl in:o :D

Peace

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 03-30-2006 02:37 AM

Actually, cannabis can be very therapeutic for those who suffer asthma as it acts as a bronchodilator, opening up lung passages.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 03-30-2006 03:09 AM

Cpt Spike Mike wrote: Actually, cannabis can be very therapeutic for those who suffer asthma as it acts as a bronchodilator, opening up lung passages.
My brother tried to tell me about that earlier today before our cell phones cut out. When they told me to avoid smoking I thought they meant every kinda smoking. I wonder if I can get a prescription for it!:D

Thanks Mike. I might take him up on the "conversational aide" later on.;)

cns
Pirate

Post by cns » 04-12-2006 04:27 AM

Lockhart77 wrote: now cmon people, seriously...do you want to smoke it, or make rope...? just being honest..:) (Im gonna get sooo bashed)..
I wanna do both! Darn it!

Return to “Hemp Industry”