Moderator: Super Moderators

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 04-30-2006 01:32 AM

Sounds like your having fun Pam... hehe

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 05-02-2006 06:21 PM

Mates, I've made a decision. I've noticed how the top computers at SETI are Powermacs. Not gonna buy one. But right after them are Pentium D's. I can afford that. So I had to decide, Athlon X2 or Pentium D. The Pentium D 920's are only $209 at Zip zoom fly. I had a wish list all set up at New Egg, but the 920 was out of stock. Then the motherboard I had taken such pains to select disappeared from the wish list. :( So I hastily selected another motherboard, and hit the checkout button at zip zoom fly. I'm on vacation next week, so I'll be building it then, so long as everything shows up.

I promised myself I'd eliminate two single core hosts for every dual core I built, so this means the Athlon XP's are going to go to eBay. Which is sad for the Windows machine that has been dedicated to Einstein, it did a good job on Einstein. But if I get the RAC's I am hoping for with the Pentium D, I may not miss the Athlon XP's at all.:)
I wish I had my radio,
I'd tune it to some friendly voices....

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 05-03-2006 01:27 AM

Keep us posted on your progress Pam... :D

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 05-04-2006 09:03 PM

Anybody here using the Trux calibrating client? I've been using it on a couple of Linux boxes and I can't tell it is doing anything. I've used it for several weeks now, so it's not the "you just haven't given it enough time" problem. From the sound of these posts, it seems I was supposed to do something but I sure as heck don't get what it is:

If you had just read the documentation...

I don't see on Trux's page where it says, "Oh and by the way, you should download the Windows client too and copy an xml file out of it in order for the Linux client to work."

I can read the documentation, but it doesn't do me much good if I don't know what it means. This is why I miss Paul D. Buck. Paul would have figured it out and put it in the Wiki. If you search the Wiki today, nothing comes up searching Trux and nothing comes up searching "calibrated client." So this aspect of the project doesn't appear to be updated or I just don't know how to search the Wiki. But my guess is it is now just an archive of Paul's work, which becomes more and more obsolete every day.

Yes, some cheese with that whine would be nice.

And Mike Gelvin quit TAB. He was a heavy hitter. He's still crunching and he hasn't joined another team but he's not crunching with us anymore. Sorry to see you go, Mike, even though I knew you could stomp me over at LHC any time you wanted.:(
I wish I had my radio,

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 05-11-2006 12:16 AM

I got my Pentium D up and running. I bought a Big Typhoon heatsink for it and man that thing is huge. I am running caseless right now because I am too scared to mount that monster in a case, I'm scared it'll snap the motherboard in half. I ended up with an Asus p5ld2-vm, and right now I am using the 10% overclock setting. I am only using a 350 W power supply right now, and value select ram. Maybe later I'll get a better power supply and some Corsair XMS and bump it up some more. I am using Ubuntu 6.06 beta2 on it right now.

There is an article on the xbit labs site about over clocking Pentium D's with Asus p5wd2 to 4 GHz on air!

here

If I had seen that before I ordered my stuff, I would have ended up spending a lot more money!
I wish I had my radio,

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 05-24-2006 11:14 PM

I can't boot any higher overclocking settings yet, but I've ordered a better power supply and some ddr2 800. From what I've read, the p5ld2 is not such a great overclocker. I promise to be happy if I can achieve the maximum overclock settings with this board otherwise I will bite it and get the p5wd2. I'd like to join that 4 GHz club.

Still, I really can't complain, the Pentium D 920 on the p5ld2-vm is my best cruncher right now. I am not sorry I went Intel. But I think I will still build a dual core athlon some time this year, and eliminate two more athlons to keep the electric bill under control. I am averaging about 25 kwh a day with six hosts, much better than around 35 kwh a day with ten.
I wish I had my radio,

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 05-25-2006 07:53 PM

Go PAM Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

hehe :D

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 05-27-2006 03:22 PM

My little Athlon 64 3000 (mobile with Thermalright XP90 heatsink) clocked at 1980 MHz beat two of the chips I have long thought about buying-

Athlon 64 3700 here and Athlon 64 X2 3800 here

That's what optimization does for you! It makes you smug about not spending more money on a nicer chip.:D

The overclocking can't hurt either, although I know it's bad, I can't help it. I only bought the XP 90 because I needed a heat sink and the regular heat sinks don't fit right on a mobile chip, and since I had a nice heatsink, I might as well overclock, right?:rolleyes:
I wish I had my radio,

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 05-27-2006 04:55 PM

I got my Thermaltake (HSF) Silent Boost RX K8 for about $40 and I get about 4 almost 5-Degrees F Cooler but I'm not overclocking at all...

:D

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 05-29-2006 03:08 PM

But it is better for your cpu, isn't it? Heat is the enemy. Running BOINC nonstop does stress a chip. Let's face it, we are not donating "unused cycles" to SETI, we are deliberately creating cycles for SETI.

Anyway-

I got the Pentium D 920 on the p5ld2-vm up to 3.22 GHz. My BIOS settings are

fsb 230, which sets the memory at 560 something and if there's a divider or a multiplier for that, I can't find it. I think the memory was running at 733 MHz at fsb 220.

PCIE 110 (no post at 100, kernel panic at 118)
PCI clock 33.3
memory volts 1.812
CPU volts 1.325
MCH volts (northbridge?) 1.6

It seems like if you leave anything on auto, it won't post.

The heatsinks on the north and south bridge feel HOT. To see the temps, I have to go to BIOS. Before I was under 30 degrees C, but I don't know what its like under load. Maybe I should put Windows on this computer so I can use those utilities that show you temps. The Big Typhoon is doing a good job, though, the heatsink above the cpu feels ok.

I am still caseless right now, but I set a box fan next to the board to move some air over those chipsets.

My whetstone went from 755 to 790.
I wish I had my radio,

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 05-29-2006 03:28 PM

I use Everest to check the temps...

Nice little program that tells you pretty much everything about your Hardware and it's free tho it is no longer supported it still works...

Not totally sure how accurate it is but it's gotta be close...

Download Everest

Another Free one...

CPU-z
Last edited by Keith L Dick on 05-29-2006 03:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 05-29-2006 08:28 PM

Say, that Everest is just what I've been looking for. It works great on my Windows boxes.

I'd love to try it with Wine, but I can't figure out how to get Wine installed in Ubuntu 6.06. I did it real easy in Ubuntu 5.10 with Synaptics Package manager and ran CPU-Z with it, although CPU-Z under Wine doesn't really show anything you can't see in cat /proc/cpuinfo. And there wasn't any information on the motherboard or the memory frequency or timings.

I been apt-get installing most of this afternoon with no luck. Maybe I'll just have to go Windows. BOINC kind of favors Windows anyway, don't you think?
I wish I had my radio,

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 05-29-2006 09:01 PM

Well I'm sure when they came up with the idea of SETI@Home it was Windows they had in mind because most of their contributors would be home users running Windows...

I don't have a Linux machine so I don't know how well it runs on that platform...

I know it used to be slow on the Machintosh's (OS 8-9) in the beginning but was later optimized a bit to run better...

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 06-02-2006 09:46 PM

Well, it's been quite a couple of weeks at Seti@Home. First, mmciastro accused Crunch3r of cheating. Then the thread for this disappeared but if you click on mmciastro's profile, you can see all his posts. I noticed some other threads disappearing as well. It seems they have a moderator over there now, called Ageless. And from the looks of it, the threads weren't just deleted but the posters were temporarily banned as well.

The plus and minus ratings were taken away because of "abuse". It seems there were users who would create multiple accounts solely for the purpose of minusing their enemies. Try to rate a post- "You don't have a high enough RAC to do this."

But now Crunch3r has quit Seti. His site has gone dark and we can no longer download his optimized apps. There is much sorrow for this, and many users pledging to quit Seti. Crunch3r is supposed to have gone over to Einstein, where optimization is looked upon as a good thing and the brilliant Akosf is worshipped like a god.

Speaking of worship, there was a neat article about Seti at space.com

here

:)
I wish I had my radio,

Keith L Dick
Pirate

Post by Keith L Dick » 06-02-2006 09:55 PM

Hmmmm...

I guess that is one of the problems with Forums & Free Speech... People say what they feel...

I'm not a *Coder* but the only thing I would think that has changed in an Optimized Client is the fact that the Screensaver is no longer there or running all the time in the background...

I'm sure there are some other improvements over the SETI Version but still I don't see how that could be *Cheating*...

Oh well...

Return to “Team Art Bell”