Computer Start Trouble

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Computer Start Trouble

Post by SetiCruncher » 07-20-2006 03:55 PM

O.k. Guru's here's one for ya's:

The last few days due to local summer time temperatures I have been shutting down my main system before going to work, when I return home and go to fire up the system, I hit the power button and the machine begins to start, then a second or two later it dies completely.

Hitting the power button again to restart the system does nothing, no response. I have to completely kill all power to the computer, then reconnect the power source before I can even try to start the computer again.

It will often take four or five attempts before the computer will actually boot.

Once the computer starts to boot I get a message from the BIOS telling me that the computer failed to boot after several attempts and asks me if I want to reconfigure or allow it to boot the by default.

Once the computer is up and running I have no problems with it at all. Runs like a charm.

I've heard that a computer is only good for 4000 starts (the starting hardware I suppose), could it be I have reached a point where something is wearing out and needs replacing?

Anyone have any idea's?

The system is only about 3 years old. Is Virus, Spyware, Malware and Adware free. Has been fully defragged. Shows no sector errors.

I have a couple computers quite a few years older and have never experienced this problem with any of them.

Any idea's or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-20-2006 04:02 PM

I had a similar problem in May, when I turned on my PC the screen was black, didn't shut down, just stayed black. I thought my mother board died or something. What I did was reset my memory chips and made sure everything that plugs in was set right. My memory chips were loose, don't know if that was from heat or the fact that I had moved and they just jarred loose, once I did the above started right up and no problems since. Good luck.:)

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 07-20-2006 11:08 PM

my first thought is that the power supply is going and a bad power supply can also kill hard drives, memory chips and mother boards.

andy

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-21-2006 11:16 AM

Good one -- question that is...

Yup check all connections and run a diagnostic on your system. Could be power supply problem, could be something as simple as loose connections.

Had this happen several years ago - turned out to be dust bunnies -- around here with animals - those dust bunnies are often a bit hairy. Seems the dust cover had come loose (?maybe animal helped) and it required a "blow out" to remove hairy little dust bunnies which were interfering with cooling and system was overheating. Once removed, and dust cover put back into original condition - no problem.

BUT do check connections, run a diagnostic on your system - hopefully its nothing more serious than a "simple fix" situation.

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 07-21-2006 04:31 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

My next set of days off I'll pull the casing apart and blow out the system and check all connections. I'm hoping its something simple.

I appreciate the input folks :)
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-22-2006 02:41 AM

I vote power supply too. Cleaning might help. But sometimes PS's just get weak and can't handle the load at startup when everything is loading it at once. And maybe an old hard drive is dragging on it a little more than it used to -- or the processor's heat sink isn't..sinking anymore, heh. I've heard nothing but great advice here so far: blow (or I use a vacuum with a brush attachment too) the dust out - which should be an anual event anyway. If you have good, tight terminals the connections should be fine but don't hurt to unplug then replug them to assure a good connection. Just be careful as older motherboards can get brittle and if it cracks you're screwed.

SilentBlue
Pirate

Post by SilentBlue » 07-22-2006 10:05 AM

As Dale said everyone is looking in the right direction , it seems to be a power problem of some sort and sounds like possibly an internal ( after PS ) problem or possibly the PS is saying goodbye, but Dale is also correct about the motherboard, this also sounds like possibly a MB component going bad or a crack somewhere on the board, solder does do this sometimes and that is a huge pita. But on/off switches do sometimes terminate themselves.

Just for the sake of asking, have you tried plugging the box into another source than the one it is plugged into now, and also checked the power cord?

As for the 4000 powerups being some kind of limit, I kinda doubt that, I have a few boxes here that were powered up that many times many years ago, they still power up fine :)
Tounge Tied & Twisted Just An EarthBound Misfit "I"

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-22-2006 10:28 PM

If your PC is dead, switch. . . .
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 07-23-2006 03:39 AM

HurricaneJoanie wrote: If your PC is dead, switch. . . .

I'd love to buy a Mac, never used one, but have heard nothing but good things about them. But sadly, they are way out of my price range, I can get 2 or 3 PC's for the cost of the high end Mac's that I drool over.
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-23-2006 04:47 PM

Monthly payments, Cruncher...that's how I do it. You'll only have to buy ONE Mac for every 2-3 bum PCs you'll suffer through. NO repair costs or wasted time. How much is THAT worth to you? I replace my Macs every 5 years or so because I can't resist the updates!

You'll happily make those payments, I can assure you!

Anyway, hope your problem(s) is quickly resolved....
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-24-2006 05:12 PM

I'd love to have a Mac also but cna't do either payments or other methods..pathetic, I know. :rolleyes:

But don't discount all PCs as junk HJ. My dell, which turns 5 this spring, has been a real trooper. Only hardware problem ever was the monitor. After 3 years it went pale, heheh - lost focus - (kinda like me ;) ) but it still works and I hear you can get them rejuvenated for another year of use but haven't. Once I thought the HD went out but I'm still using it, a 5 year old Maxtor. Fixed it myself with a little freeware program.

One of the best things about PCs is you can get lots of good, cheap hardware and do any and all upgrades easily yourself. This is only good if you're an under-the-hood, tinkering kinda person or like to learn and/or are on a budget. Apple/Mac wants..requires that all the supported hardware be bought and installed by them. And they ain't cheap, as has been established here. But they're pretty, shiny and trendy and you're a fool if you try to but heads with one of their overzealous fanboys. They definitely have a following. But the world runs on PCs..and will for quite some time. That's why the virus writers like to attack them so much, they're so popular and have a huge market share advantage. If (or when) Macs get as popular they will have just as many problems with malware attacks and bugs.

But I'd love to get my wife a powerbook or mini. They are so simple to use, I hear. I cut my teeth on DOS 8088s and Commodores so PC's are pretty easy to me. Unix is a weakness for me. But I'm learning. :)

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-24-2006 07:53 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: Apple/Mac wants..requires that all the supported hardware be bought and installed by them. And they ain't cheap, as has been established here. But they're pretty, shiny and trendy and you're a fool if you try to but heads with one of their overzealous fanboys. They definitely have a following. But the world runs on PCs..

HUH??? I have installed all my memory upgrades, extra drives, etc., MYSELF -- with no need of help from Apple. Easy as pie. Great prices from MacWarehouse and places like that. I've installed memory on PCs, too, and it's much easier on the Mac. I am forced to use a PC (a Dell) at work, and I can't tell you how thankful I am to get home everyday to my smooth-as-silk, no problems-whatsoever, runs-like-a-dream G5.

I gladly give up a three-four lunches out a month to make my computer loan payment!

Maybe your world "runs on PCs", but the graphics/media/entertainment world (and that's a big chunk of the population, despite what "the statistics" say), is runnin' on MACS.

But to each his own. Maybe Linux will pull the worlds together one day.

Your overzealous fangirl co-Pirate,
HJ ;)
Last edited by HurricaneJoanie on 07-24-2006 09:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-24-2006 08:50 PM

Who can afford to eat out? I'm real close to reverting to being a hunter/gatherer, heh.

It's so easy to get mac folks going.:p
"...But to each his own. Maybe Linux will pull the worlds together one day...." -HJ
That's what I say. Whatever floats your decimal point. I think Linux has MS sweating a little -- and the fact they can't seem to make their new OS, Vista, good enough to ship.

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-24-2006 09:46 PM

Aw Dale...don't stick your tongue out at me....

I hereby commission you to make me a kewl Mac avatar...on your PC! ;)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-25-2006 12:45 AM

Gladly, .:)

And that's not my tongue..not sure whose that is..? :eek: ;)
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Return to “FF IT Tech”