Whats for Dinner ?

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 03-12-2007 08:54 PM

With the weather shaping up the way it is in Idaho, I'll soon be eating big ol' pink-meat trout caught and eaten the same day! I put 'em in aluminum foil with some butter and lemon and put them on the grill. Good eatin'...

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-12-2007 09:04 PM

Div, have you ever had to clean whole shrimp? They've got huge heads and big black eyeballs.
I've bought the big ones whole and clean them myself, but the little ones are easier to buy pre-processed and frozen and ready to cook. And yes, I've looked into their eyes and I don't sense a whole lot there. In fact, if I were a shrimp, I'd want someone to hurry up and eat me so that maybe I can come back reincarnated into a moose or something better next time where I might want to hang around a while longer (even ants probably beg to be eaten). I think there's a certain line along this whole food chain thing where at some point the creatures participating within it are allowed to decide for themselves if they want to remain part of all that or not. Hey, I suppose in your next life if you come back as a cow you might beg to be turned into a burger or two as soon as possible if it sucked being a cow. Hey, if you get lucky, you might get to be veal and take the take short exit out of here, huh? Judgment call thing I guess. Wanna eat elk? Fine .. just be prepared to wake up one day discovering you're an elk on the run. I mean, come on now, whose soul do you think is in that elk anyhow, some poor sucker-soul instead who drew the short straw and had to be that elk instead of you? Ha ... yeah, right, maybe some less compassionate make-believe god of the world would think that is just fine and the way it works - sucker souls and lucky souls, all decided upon the draw of a straw or toss of the dice. right ...

Nope, I'm opting out of that whole food chain thing before the borg arrive for the human harvest (I plan to sneak away with the seed they'll keep for next season's planting here - ha)

I highly advise avoiding eating creatures with a soul that might have a valid cause and reason to file a complaint in the after-life ! Personally, I'm heading in the other evolutionary direction. Dinner is not THAT damn important to want to go in the other direction instead - ha.
big ol' pink-meat trout
Hey, to conserve energy, why not wrap it up in foil and strap it to your bike muffler and let it cook while you ride home after your fishing trip? I've baked potatoes on my engine block driving home from work before - ha.

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 03-12-2007 09:09 PM

Carrot Juice' Bean salad,
or a grilled steak... hmmm

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 03-12-2007 09:26 PM

Linda, look what you've wrought! A PETA debate!!
:D
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-12-2007 09:28 PM

For some, that is as important a factor in their diet as fried blood is for others.

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 03-12-2007 09:35 PM

Div...

Apparantly, you know nothing about hunting. Elk and deer are not taken "on the run".
Where the hell did you get that notion?

Biker

Ian Anderson

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 03-12-2007 09:44 PM

Whole wheat pasta, homemade pasta sauce with tomatoes, pepper strips, mushrooms, shredded carrot and olives with half a mozarella ball melted in, whole wheat breadsticks brushed with butter and fresh basil and parsley. Mmmmmmmm:)

I seldom eat meat except for fish and the rare piece of poultry (usually at the holidays). My family demands a turkey on Turkey Day so I buy a humanely slaughtered (if that's possible), free range, vegie fed, no hormone turkey. I think the brand is Diesel???? I order it at Top Foods. $3.98 a pound for turkey...oy!
And no farm raised fish and I am careful about country of origin. They must be a non-whaling nation.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-12-2007 09:53 PM

Apparantly, you know nothing about hunting.
Sure I do, I was in the army once (back in the 70's, but we weren't hunting for human heads and oil when I joined the hunt).
Whole wheat pasta, homemade pasta sauce with tomatoes,...
Yum ... and that spinach pasta isn't bad either, I have a salad I make from that which is delicious with shrooms. I use mushrooms a lot where meat would have been called for.

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 03-12-2007 10:03 PM

Psychicwolf'
That is a great meal...

Div'
"I use mushrooms a lot where meat would have been called for." ...along with
Onions, peppers and cooked in some butter...

What else?

Shrimp'... I love those sea bugs.

O K' meat... what are we going to do with all those male bulls?
I say we put them on the BBQ' .... ;)

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 03-12-2007 10:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Divinorumus
Sure I do, I was in the army once (back in the 70's, but we weren't hunting for human heads and oil when I joined the hunt).

Explain to me what the hell this has to do with hunting game animals!?!

Biker

Ian Anderson

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-12-2007 10:18 PM

Explain to me what the hell this has to do with hunting game animals!?!
Well, are you an animal and still part of that whole animal food chain thang, or not? It's your choice! Do we hunt other life forms, or not? I make no distinctions between meat - you either think of yourselves and other life forms as meat, or not! if it eats meat, kills meat, and is meat, it's meat! right? I'm not about to become a hypocrite over meat!
Last edited by Divinorumus on 03-12-2007 10:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 03-12-2007 10:28 PM

No Div, I'll say this slowly...what the hell does serving in the Army (I did, as a combat Vet) have to do with hunting big game animals?
Focus, Friend...you're making no sense.

Biker

Ian Anderson

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-12-2007 10:44 PM

Okay, back then, I ate meat - I was a meat eater! I also didn't have a problem back then with hunting humans either, if that ever became necessary. Thus, I know how to hunt - they taught me that in the army, and what they taught me I can use to drop a human or a moose! Today however, I try to respect all meat that would not want me to kill it, be it human or otherwise. Does that make any sense? Probably not (I'm crazy, right?). If anything made from meat wants me to kill it, it must beg me to do so or give good cause and reason why I should and would have no other choice but to do so ! Sorry, I do not want anything made from meat having cause to file a complaint against me in the after life ... I know what that costs NOW ... I've learned , that's all ... that is our only difference here I suppose.

So, anyhow, mushrooms are a really good substitute for meat. Some of them shroom can also teach you a lot more about life than a cow could teach you about cholesterol and cancers. In fact, some of those green things that grow on earth make me feel better for eating them than any piece of meat has so far. Just a difference in what we all want from our diets I suppose. I love a guilt free diet.

btw, biker, you do make sense to me, as I've been there, done that, so I know where you're coming from .. just thought you might want to know where I am now ...

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 03-13-2007 12:12 AM

Biker, how's the steelhead fishing in ID? I've heard various accounts, very curious as I am looking to retire to ID in 2014. Simply can't take many more long, dark, frigid Alaskan winters.

We're a long, long way from salmon season here, reading your post gave me a case of fishing fever. ;)

Can't wait to hit the rivers for king and red salmon... but my favorite fishing comes later in the season, there's a thrill to landing the hard fighting mighty silvers.

Nothing better than a fresh fish right out of the river, a few onions, a little butter, dash of dill... wrap it all up in foil and grill. My freezer's down to the final few packs of last years catch.
Last edited by Shimmering Auro on 03-13-2007 12:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 03-13-2007 10:14 AM

I don't fish for steelhead nowadays what with the price of gas and all. A lot of my buddies do well up around Salmon Idaho.
I usually get a fish or two when they get back.

Biker:)

Ian Anderson

Return to “Garden & Galley”