Whats for Dinner ?

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

IvyQ
Pirate

Post by IvyQ » 03-25-2007 09:21 AM

Divinorumus wrote: And on Hato El Cedral, a capybara roams free, until dinner time rolls around I suppose.

i don't think so, that looks like a giant rat... (just lost my appetite).

i do plan on having pasta and vegetables with turkey sausgage for dinner tonight. i'm off work tonight and tomorrow and all week i've taken salads into work for dinner and lunch. (gotta work off those 10 pounds i gained after knee surgery. eating, drinking, the internet and watching tv will do it)

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 03-25-2007 10:39 AM

I'm cooking 'Hobo Suppers' this evening:

Cubed elk steak (although you can use any meat you like)
Sliced Red spuds (or your fav spud)
baby carrots
Quartered onion
garlic salt and lemon pepper...

A lot of folks just make a big hamburger and throw the veggies around, under and on top of the burger. You just wrap it all up in a couple sheets of aluminum foil and throw it on the bbq grill. It's really handy when you're camping because you can prepare them in advance and just throw them on the edges of your campfire for an hour or two while you're fishing or hiking and they'll be ready to eat when you come back.
You can customize dinners for different tastes of your friends/family members.
Gooood eatin'! You don't even need a plate, and thanks to the different combinations of meat and veggies, everything stays moist and in fact, the dinner makes its own gravy.

Biker:)
Last edited by Biker on 03-25-2007 11:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 04-25-2007 04:26 PM

Salmon with Thai Rice Salad

Rich broiled salmon rests atop a lean vegetable-and-rice salad to make a beautifully balanced meal. The Asian dressing includes big-impact flavors--fish sauce, lime juice, and cayenne--but very little oil.

1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
3 tablespoons lime juice (from about 2 limes)
3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam)
2 tablespoons cooking oil
3 1/2 teaspoons sugar
Pinch cayenne
1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
3 carrots, grated
4 scallions including green tops, chopped
6 tablespoons chopped cilantro or fresh parsley
2 pounds skinless center-cut salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

1. Stir the rice into a medium pot of boiling, salted water and cook until just done, about 10 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly.
2. In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the lime juice, fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of the oil, the sugar, and cayenne. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice, cucumber, carrots, scallions, and cilantro.

3. Heat the broiler. Oil a broiler pan or baking sheet. Coat the salmon with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Put the salmon on the pan. Broil until just barely done (the fish should still be translucent in the center), about 5 minutes for a 1-inch-thick fillet. Put the rice salad on plates and top with the salmon.

Wine Recommendation: Rieslings are among the most versatile of white wines and one of the few that work well with salads. With this Thai-inspired dish, try a simple kabinett from Germany's Mosel region.

Notes: Asian fish sauce is available at Asian markets and many supermarkets.

Yield: 4

Food & Wine, 1997

Shirleypal
Pirate

Crispy Seared Cod With Celery Sauce & Warm German Potato

Post by Shirleypal » 06-20-2007 03:09 PM

Crispy Seared Cod With Celery Sauce & Warm German Potato Salad
1 hr., 10 mins.Serves 4
Print PlanSend to MobileGet PodcastIngredients
4 cod fillets (8 oz) skin removed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Celery sauce:
1 small bunch celery, peeled & roughly chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup milk
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt

Potato salad:
2 pounds potatoes (Yukon gold works well)
6 strips of sliced bacon, cooked and diced
1 large onion, sliced
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
4 green onions, green part only chopped
Cooking Instructions
Begin with the potato salad. Put the potatoes, unpeeled, into a large saucepan of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook for 12-15 minutes until tender. Drain, and then add back to the pot.

In a large saute pan, cook bacon until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel then cut into squares. Drain some of the fat if there is too much (leave about 2 tablespoons) then add the onions to the pan. Cook over medium heat stirring the onions until caramelized. Add the bacon and onions back to the pot of potatoes when done. Smash the potatoes with a wooden spoon or large fork. Set aside.

Make a vinaigrette by combining the cider vinegar with oil and Dijon mustard. Whisk until combined. Pour this over the warm potatoes and stir to combine, further breaking up the potatoes with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper then fold in the chopped green onions and chopped parsley.

Now prepare the sauce. In a medium saucepan add the peeled celery to the milk and chicken stock. Bring it up to a simmer and cook the celery until tender about 5 minutes. Do not overcook -- otherwise it will go brown. Pour the mixture into a blender, drizzle in some extra-virgin olive oil and puree. Add back to the pot and reduce until you have a consistency that coats the back of a wooden spoon. Season to taste.

Season the cod fillets with salt and pepper. Heat a 2-count (about an ounce) of olive oil over high heat and add the butter. Place the cod fillets into the pan and cook for 5 minutes on one side until crispy and golden. Turn the fillets over and finish cooking for 1 more minute.

To serve, place a heap of warm German salad on the center of the plate. Place the crispy cod filet on top and then spoon the celery sauce over and around the plate.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 06-21-2007 09:00 AM

Cuban Picadillo

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
4 cloves garlic
1 medium white onion (chopped fine)
4 cloves garlic
1 medium white onion (chopped fine)
1 small green pepper (chopped)
1/2 cup beef stock
3/4 cup tomato sauce
2 small potatoes (peeled and diced)
8 to 10 green olives (pitted)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for sautéing

PREPARATION:
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.

2. In a fruing pan, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onions, green pepper, and garlic until soft.

3. Add the ground beef mixture, beef stock, and tomato sauce.

Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.

4. Add the diced potato. Cover and cook another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are done.

5. Remove the cover. Add the olives and cook uncovered 15 minutes or until the liquid is fully evaporated, but the meat is still moist.

6. Serve the picadillo warm with rice or let cool and use as a filling for empanadas and papas rellenas.

Yummies :)

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 09-02-2007 02:24 PM

Since I have sworn off ordering out for Chinese food I was hoping someone here would have a good fried rice recipe they want to share.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-14-2012 10:04 PM

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 08-15-2012 12:07 AM

I had Pizza tonight (Pepperoni)

Return to “Garden & Galley”