Radio topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Email Notice from George Noory to the Fantastic Forum

Post by Linnea » 05-17-2007 10:14 PM

From George Noory <[email protected]>
May 17, 2007 4:11 PM
subject: FF

Once again, your forum is being used for hate and inaccuracy. The Sci-Fi show IS NOT a paid for informercial, but has been produced for Sci-Fi and will run at their expense.

Additionally, I have informed my attorney to immediately begin plans to sue various members for libel and to obtain from you either voluntarily or in court appropriate IP addresses, etc.

I take my career seriously and have NO problems with honest criticism and critique, but it's gotten out of hand.

I am asking you, as the administrator for the LAST TIME to clean this up, and will hold you personally responsible for such libelous attempts by your members to libel me and the show.
# # #

Time to clean it up folks!

Refer to the Terms of Service and Terms of Use Legal Notice posted on the forum.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 05-17-2007 10:51 PM

Last edited by Divinorumus on 05-18-2007 12:42 AM, edited 1 time in total.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 05-18-2007 01:53 AM

Taken from a synopsis of a Mary Tyler Moore Show:

Having signed up for a creative writing class, Mary (Mary Richards) shows her efforts to Lou (Ed Asner), insisting that he offer honest criticism. Unfortunately, Lou does just that, and Mary is crushed. A chilly atmosphere promptly descends upon the newsroom, with the icy Mary adopting a "strictly business" attitude which poor Lou is unable to kid her out of. "Mary the Writer" was originally telecast on October 2, 1976. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

I fear that those who choose honesty are only kidding themselves when they carry a big stick into the discussion. JMHO of course.

George you are a swell guy and have a great attitude most of the time. Perhaps a brief step backwards and a pause to reflect on the immortal words of one fella, aka. Samuel Clemens,

"It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them."
Mark Twain, Following the Equator (1897)
US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)

Take care

:)

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 05-18-2007 02:08 AM

I don't know what GN' is talking about, because I don't read anything that pertains to him or listen to him on the radio.

But, I wish he would butt out of this forum.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 05-18-2007 02:11 AM

:D Peace Jeri! :cool:

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 05-18-2007 02:20 AM

Suggestion to Linnea:
Why not just 86 the whole Noory thing even in the ORR. Most of the folks on this site only listen on the weekends. Make this a strictly Ian and Art, with a little Whitley and the assorted topics forum. Then George has nothing to bellyache about. He doesn't own the rights to C2C, he's strictly an employee. We can still talk about C2C when we all listen (mainly weekends) and our other favorite topics during the week. If George is going to play hardball, just make him a non-entity, which he already is to most.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 05-18-2007 02:23 AM

Psychicwolf wrote: Suggestion to Linnea:
Why not just 86 the whole Noory thing even in the ORR. Most of the folks on this site only listen on the weekends. Make this a strictly Ian and Art, with a little Whitley and the assorted topics forum. Then George has nothing to bellyache about. He doesn't own the rights to C2C, he's strictly an employee. We can still talk about C2C when we all listen (mainly weekends) and our other favorite topics during the week. If George is going to play hardball, just make him a non-entity, which he already is to most.

I second that emotion.' ;)

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 05-18-2007 03:18 AM

Good grief!
George, you are such a putz.
If you know the FF isnt a noory-friendly hangout, then why bother to read here? You have a couple other boards out there, that seem to like you. Why not hang there, where you can toddle along, unmolested?
Golly gee. You should know that being a celebrity also invites a few problems along the way. Suck it up pal. 2012 aint that far away...

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 05-18-2007 05:35 AM

"Additionally, I have informed my attorney to immediately begin plans to sue various members for libel and to obtain from you either voluntarily or in court appropriate IP addresses, etc."- gn

George, bend over, let me help you get that bug out of your a$$.

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 05-18-2007 06:13 AM

I have informed my attorney to immediately begin plans to sue for pain and suffering on the weak nights.:p

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 05-18-2007 07:11 AM

Message to GN

Get over yourself! :rolleyes:

thalia
Pirate

Post by thalia » 05-18-2007 07:33 AM

I said I wouldn't post here anymore, but this was just too much to let go by.

For George to win a libel suit he'd have to prove, among other things, that "false statements have been made to his discredit".

A defense against that is to substantially prove the truth of those statements.

According to CyberLibel.com,
Usually, a libel action should only be instituted if the primary objective is to vindicate reputation.
Aye, there's the crux. How good is George's reputation and would it (and his performance over public airwaves) stand up to scrutiny?

CyberLibel also mentions that the following should be taken into consideration before undertaking a suit for libel:
Ensure that the plaintiff {i.e., George} has no skeletons in their closet, as they can emerge at the most awkward moments.
Hmmm. Something else to think about.

If George and/or his lawyer(s) care to re-read the "I Smell A Hose" thread carefully, they'll see that no one there said that his show is an infomercial. They said that his show is airing in an infomercial time slot. There is a distinction between the two. Ergo, the only inaccuracy is George's statement that his show itself has been called an infomercial.

Any other statements made in that thread regarding its timeslot were mere speculations and/or musings on the part of the posting members.

George would do well to seriously and honestly consider whether (and/or how) he himself has damaged his own reputation and credibility.
"But I don’t want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin." (Aldous Huxley)

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-18-2007 09:09 AM

I don’t know whether Noory’s show is being hosted directly by the Sci-Fi Channel or whether Prem Rad is paying for it, and it really does not matter to me who is paying for it and how they are paying for it. The content of the show, rather than its funding source, is of far greater importance to me, and we shall see for ourselves soon enough just how well Noory survives in the ultra-hip demographic of the Sci-Fi Channel. If he survives, then he wins all the marbles right there; if not, then potential lawsuits are meaningless gestures.

What interests me, greatly, is the fact that Noory has now formally threatened The Fantastic Forum with legal action. I never regarded such a threat as a real possibility, especially since The Fantastic Forum does not have any influence whatsoever in cyberspace, as far as I can tell. Noory’s threat of a lawsuit against The Fantastic Forum means either that he is so totally in control of Coast-to-Coast that he can now act upon a long-desired plan to obliterate all potential criticism of his show or that his position at Coast-to-Coast is now so weak that any potential criticism of the show could wound him fatally. I neither know nor care which alternative turns out to be correct. I myself stopped listening to the show last fall; there are other paranormal-ufological shows out there that I presently listen to with pleasure; and I wish Noory, his show, and his fans the best.

My advice to The Fantastic Forum is not to jeopardize its existence by continuing to beat a dead horse. Let us avoid all mention of Noory and his show from now on, and let us go our merry way in our own collective direction. There is far too much out there for us to learn to allow ourselves to waste our valuable time sinking in such a meaningless, and boring, patch of quicksand.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Plainsman
Pirate

Post by Plainsman » 05-18-2007 09:31 AM

Originally posted by joequinn
[My advice to The Fantastic Forum is not to jeopardize its existence by continuing to beat a dead horse. Let us avoid all mention of Noory and his show from now on, and let us go our merry way in our own collective direction. There is far too much out there for us to learn to allow ourselves to waste our valuable time sinking in such a meaningless, and boring, patch of quicksand.

Checkmate. George wins.

Once this forum agrees to George's demands, what is the future for many other forums on other subjects?

Once word gets out that anyone who is criticized in cyberspace can stop the criticism by threatening legal action, will all blogs have to stop saying anything negative?

If it is true that people can be sued for criticizing George, then why not people who criticze the President of the United States, Rush Limbaugh, or any other public figure.

What if Premiere Radio finds out George has thretened legal action? Will he be fired for takiing such an outlandish action against free speech? If this type of legal action were really possible, I would think it would have happened millions of times by now to a lot bigger fish in the cyber pond that the FF.

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 05-18-2007 09:56 AM

A very valid set of points, Plainsman.

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

Return to “George Noory/C2C AM Topics/Radio topics”