Earth 2100: Is This The Final Century of Civilization

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Earth 2100: Is This The Final Century of Civilization

Post by Shirleypal » 06-02-2009 11:02 AM

Airing on ABC tonight at 9:00 PM Eastern

Experts say over the next hundred years the "perfect storm" of population growth, resource depletion and climate change could converge with catastrophic results.

Watch six videos of Potential Future Scenarios at the link:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Earth2100/

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-02-2009 11:28 AM

Shirleypal, I want to thank you for the heads-up: without it, I would have missed the show, which would have been a shame. I have such respect for your instinct for significant news stories. Most people here don't give a damn what you post and would never think of thanking you for posting it, but I do give a damn and I do thank you for all your work.

I have been saying, for years now on this forum, that we are feeling the first tentative ripples of a colossal tidal wave which I have called, repeatedly, the Great Dying and compared to which the Black Death will turn out to appear to have been like a Victorian tea-party.

Why have I been ranting and ranting and ranting about The Great Dying? Because I am a great prophet possessing awesome powers of precognition? No, not at all. It is because I have been studying the ecological evidence for decades now and because I came to the conclusion, years ago, not that the Great Dying was going to happen, but that there is no way on God's earth at this stage of the game that it cannot happen. Frankly, I am amazed that life is still basically going on as normal in 2009. So it is, but not for much longer... No way, Jose...

The real secret of the Great Dying is that, despite what they may say to the contrary, the Joe Sixpack and his soccer mom trophy wife have known about this for quite some time. How else can one possibly explain the obscene orgy of spending during The Age of De Nile (1973-2008)? Joe Sixpack and the Mrs. know that, one day, they are going to be washed away like litter in a gutter during a massive rainstorm, so they want to party 'til they puke --- while the pukin' is good. They pretend to be ignorant of what is going on, but they lie, lie, lie. They know what's going to happen; they've known for quite some time; and they have behaved accordingly.

Once again, Shirleypal, thanks for your excellent and widely ignored reporting. Why do you think that ABC is airing such a program? Because it suddenly came to the conclusion that it existed to warn the public of danger? Nahhh, Shirleypal: if you believed that (as I know you don't), then I have an East River bridge to sell you. The Cryptocracy probably picked up the phone and called the madam presiding over the ABC whorehouse, telling the cathouse to give the proles a cheap thrill so that they could rush out into the street to git, git, git while the gittin' is still good. Nothing more than that. Nothing.

I will be watching, and then I will be posting. Thanks, once again, Shirleypal, for the heads-up.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-02-2009 02:51 PM

Yes, thanks Shirley! Will be tuning in to this show, unless something comes up. Drat! No recorder or Tivo.

Joe, this ABC Special must be taking a shorter linear view of 'modern' civilization. They can not be making a case for the 'End' of 'Civilization', unless of course, they are making a case for the destruction of homo sapiens.

I was struck, recently, by this passage in The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood:

'It changes every time I go there, which is not often, and the culmulative effect is devastating - as if the city's been bombed level, then built again from scratch.

The downtown I remember - drab, Calvinistic, with white men in dark overcoats marching in lockstep on the sidewalks, interspersed with the occasional woman, in regulation high heels, gloves and hat, clutch purse under the arm, eyes front - is simply gone, but then it's been gone for some time. Toronto is no longer a Protestant city, it's a mediaeval one: the crowds clogging the street are many-hued, the clothing vivid'

It is also interesting to note, the 'First Nations' of North America had a culture and civilization which persisted over 10,000 years - and which continues to this day, albeit overshadowed by the more recent barbarians which have dominated the scene for the most recent few hundred years.

....from speech of Chief Sealth:

"The Indian's night promises to be dark. No bright star hovers above the horizon. Sad-voiced winds moan in the distance. Some grim Nemesis of our race is on the red man's trail, and wherever he goes he will still hear the sure approaching footsteps of the fell destroyer and prepare to meet his doom, as does the wounded doe that hears the approaching footsteps of the hunter. A few more moons, a few more winters, and not one of all the mighty hosts that once filled this broad land or that now roam in fragmentary bands through these vast solitudes will remain to weep over the tombs of a people once as powerful and as hopeful as your own.

"But why should we repine? Why should I murmur at the fate of my people? Tribes are made up of individuals and are no better than they. Men come and go like the waves of a sea. A tear, a tamanawus, a dirge, and they are gone from our longing eyes forever. Even the white man, whose God walked and talked with him, as friend to friend, is not exempt from the common destiny. We may be brothers after all. We shall see."

Here is an entertaining article from Wiki about 'End Times':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_time

Me? I think I shall go and hang out with the Hopi.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 06-02-2009 03:08 PM

Thanks Joe and Linnea, there is so much to see and talk about on the forum, sometimes I don't get it........of course I will be watching...:)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 06-03-2009 02:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this one, Shirley. It was a very interesting presentation of the problems our planet faces.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 06-03-2009 03:28 AM

I look forward to reading pirate comments on the show, as I had no access to this program....:(
.... Techno Tribal Positively Primal
Shamanic Anarchistic Archaic Revival....

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-03-2009 09:07 AM

I watched the program last night, and I thought that it was OK, but I was hardly impressed.

In the first place, I refuse to believe that ABC presented the program in the first place as a public service. I have to believe that the Amerikan ruling class got ABC to air this documentary in order to let the bottom 80% of the Amerikan people know that their time on this planet is rapidly coming to an end and that they had better get their affairs in order. For this reason, the program chilled me to the core.

In the second place, I refuse to believe that all of these disasters are going to take place forty to seventy years in the future. These disasters have already been taking place for several years, and I believe, quite firmly, that the second decade of the 21st century will see a "perfect storm" scenario where all of these forces join together to devastate humanity. I honestly believe that sometime between 2020 and 2025 most of the human race will pass away in a series of human-cum-environmental disasters. Long, long before mid-century arrives...

And in the third place, I refuse to believe that we still have time to solve these problems. As I have previously mentioned, the inside info is that earth reached the point of no return almost a quarter of a century ago in 1985 (although I myself believe that it reached that point in the fall of 1973). By all means, let us do what we can to alleviate the problems, but let us not have any illusions that anything that we can do at this point will prevent them from occurring. The die is cast now, and most of the planet's population is going to die. So sorry, but that's how it truly seems to me...

And the man in the street already knows the score. How else can one explain the advent of Reaganite fascism in 1980, when it became a matter of every man for himself and the devil take the hindmost? America knew the score, even then, and decided to git while the gittin' was good. And now the waiter is approaching with the bill for the blowout. And that's that...

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 06-03-2009 10:21 AM

Joe couldn't agree with you more, it was a big disappointment, in fact didn't watch the whole show, turned it off shortly after the second hour, they certainly weren't saying what mainstream scientist have for years now, as bad as it was hopefully it woke up some, doubt it though, most are in denial and this only perpetuates it by saying that this could happen when it already is and has...:(

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-03-2009 10:50 AM

And the worst thing about the entire documentary was that ABC claimed that it was a "worst-case scenario." Not by a hell of a long shot, my friends, not by a hell of a long shot...

Incidentally, the host of the program, reporter Bob Woodruff, succeeded the late Peter Jennings as anchor at ABC Nights News in January of 2006, only to become the first major journalist to be wounded by a roadside bomb in Iraq on 29 January 2006. I have always wondered about that accident and wondered whether the powers-that-be were most displeased with Woodruff's selection to a position of such cultural power and decided to do something about it. In any case, Woodruff never really succeeded to Jennings' position, and the oh-so-safe-and-reliable Charlie Gibson now sits in Jennings' chair. (Remember his September 2008 interview of Sarah Palin?: 'nuff said, right there.)

Come to think about it, I also have always wondered about Peter Jennings' early death from cancer. And I also wonder whether the knowledge that he was going to die spurred him out of the UFO closet to present that 2005 UFO special, Seeing Is Believing. Hell, that's another thing I've always wondered about...

Not that any of this matters at this point. We're all toast sometime within the next sixteen years (which, in case you haven't figured it out for yourself, is less than six thousand tiny little days from now)... :(

And oh, for those of you who missed this propaganda piece, here is it on ABC web site:

Last edited by joequinn on 06-03-2009 11:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 06-03-2009 11:05 AM

joequinn wrote: And oh, for those of you who missed this propaganda piece, here is it on ABC web site:

Thanks Joe I did miss it.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 04-17-2015 11:28 PM

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 04-18-2015 03:35 PM

Oh' I yearn for those days.
When we were active and insightful.

When the great thinker's of the FF' spoke out and stirred our minds...

All though, it seems, great knowledge brings great sorrow...

I am beginning to wonder if ignorance is a Blessing.

If that be true...

Then I am surely blessed.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 04-19-2015 01:17 PM

1 Earth 2100: Is This The Final Century of Civilization

I don't think so, I kind of think Civilizations do come and go or we would't need "Archaeologists", there wouldn't be any thing to dig up. But, some how another civilization gets rebuilt over the one lost. There must be some survivors left to rebuild? If I dissappeared today and came back, let's say a 100 years from now,would I recognize or see any thing that I had today?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 04-19-2015 01:29 PM

The sky is falling.....

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”