No show discussion?

George Noory/Guests, Commentary,
Radio topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-10-2009 03:26 PM

Pseudonaut wrote: I think this pretty much sums up why there's no ORR threads for Noory's shows. There's nothing to say anymore but complain. He's terrible.

And the members here are too good to let things devolve the way certain other unnamed forums have...

:o

Exactly right, Pseudonaut. And thanks for the recognition of the Fantastic Forum not being involved in continuing Noory Bashing. Way back in the mists of time here, we did engage with Noory - trying to give constructive criticism. He registered here and participated in discussions - for awhile. He didn't 'get it', and we went on to expressing our 'disappointment' - until it started getting ugly.

Noory obviously used the Friday night 'mentions' of forums out there to attempt to control the tone of those comments - rewarding the newer 'Noory Friendly' forums which were sustained by his 'shout outs'. Guess that began to fall apart on him as well.

All of which is a bit disgusting...
heh

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-10-2009 03:35 PM

IronsGold wrote: Okay, that last bit made me spit all over the screen!! :D

Isn't Lear's "Soul Slinger" behind the moon? Do you think it survived? If not, are we all now doomed!?

My take on Lear's Soul Catcher on the Moon - was that we do not actually exist, but are programed bio-machines without souls. Or - with souls which are doled out by whatever aliens are in control on the Moon.

Wasn't one way we could 'keep' our borrowed souls - to avoid going 'into the light' as physical life ebbed away? Or, if we hid out in the large bodies of water on earth when we left this physical plane we could avoid being sucked up into the Soul Catcher?

The whole thing sounded rather dismal. But, yah. We could use an update on the Moon issues from John Lear. Would be good to get an opinion on how the Moon aliens are likely to react to rocket stages being slammed into the Moon, etc.

:p

Pseudonaut
Pirate

Post by Pseudonaut » 10-11-2009 12:21 AM

Linnea wrote: Exactly right, Pseudonaut. And thanks for the recognition of the Fantastic Forum not being involved in continuing Noory Bashing. Way back in the mists of time here, we did engage with Noory - trying to give constructive criticism. He registered here and participated in discussions - for awhile. He didn't 'get it', and we went on to expressing our 'disappointment' - until it started getting ugly.

Noory obviously used the Friday night 'mentions' of forums out there to attempt to control the tone of those comments - rewarding the newer 'Noory Friendly' forums which were sustained by his 'shout outs'. Guess that began to fall apart on him as well.

All of which is a bit disgusting...
heh

Some of the Noory-bashing threads out there are unabashedly mean-spirited. I can understand the anger -- the man is an abysmal interviewer -- but personally insulting him won't do any good.

If anyone should be bashed it's PremRad.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-11-2009 01:04 AM

Originally posted by Pseudonaut
Some of the Noory-bashing threads out there are unabashedly mean-spirited. I can understand the anger -- the man is an abysmal interviewer -- but personally insulting him won't do any good.

If anyone should be bashed it's PremRad.

Hear, hear! Agree with that. Unfortunately though - they continue to make money - so that is their bottom line. What they really need is some serious competition for the hearts and minds of the former Art Bell genre that has scattered to the four winds.

stevesh
Pirate

Post by stevesh » 10-11-2009 08:13 AM

Linnea wrote: What they really need is some serious competition for the hearts and minds of the former Art Bell genre that has scattered to the four winds.

That's exactly right. I'm convinced that the reason C2C has 500+ affiliates despite Noory's ineptitude is because those stations don't have any other live content to run during that time slot. It's a mystery to me why someone with some talent hasn't taken C2C on.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-11-2009 09:30 AM

Of course, one of the larger problems has been media consolidation. Clear Channel simply bundles all these shows up into one package - and runs the whole shebang on automated remote stations. They have sucked up all the oxygen for local talent - and a situation which gave Art his original opportunity.

As usual - from the grassroots comes the true creativity. This situation might change, as Clear Channel - facing some economic woes - has sold many of the stations back to the locals over the past couple years. Maybe there will be a new generation of talk radio hosts gaining some momentum.

If I owned a local station, I might consider running a contest for such a talent - to compete for the minds and hearts and listeners of 'late night radio' in the AB genre.

Noory's show does not really capture that audience. It requires a passion for the subject matter, a strong skillful interviewer, honesty, courage to confront the unknown, and most importantly - a genuine respect for the audience.

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 10-13-2009 04:40 PM

Remember the things we said? Forgive and forget, luv!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-13-2009 04:53 PM

Yes, Cherry. I have not forgotten how Noory Bashing became an agenda here, and the decision made to rein it in. This decision caused quite a ruckus here - with many trashing and leaving the forum. Remember? Many of those posters have never returned.

zed
Pirate

Post by zed » 10-14-2009 03:18 AM

Oh, some of us still lurk about from time to time. But you know what Linnea? You (meaning this forum) had nothing whatsoever to gain by trying to quell the voice of dissatisfied C2C listeners. What you failed to realize is that censorship only serves to further alienate the disenfranchised. As a result, the ORR is a dead zone (compared to how it was when more of us Noory-basher/trashers were active here) and this forum is a ghost town.

Those of us who actively criticized, bashed, trashed, dissected, chewed up and spit out George Noory did so as an expression of grief for something we loved that's now gone. In so many respects, such reactions were nothing short of reasonable (if not colorful at times).

And re Noory's participation here at one one, do you really think he was here to accept criticism or suggestions from us punters? Never! It just won't happen in the world of entertainment. Sure, you might think that a celebrity (in the loosest sense of the word) like GN is open to suggestion by coming onto a forum and interacting with his fan-base, but his appearances would have been about two things and two things only: publicity and damage control. Not a single person interacting with him had a chance of influencing him one way or another. Besides, he wouldn't know the difference between a good idea and moldy bread.

So you can self-aggrandize all you like about how you put an end to the Noory bashing, but all you did in the end was, in essence, kill off the forum.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-14-2009 04:35 AM

Good Grief!

You make my point, sort of.

How long have you been lurking just waiting for this opportunity?

:D

As for the Fantastic Forum. It is alive and well. Like a fine wine, a forum needs to mellow out over time and lose the rough stuff. Ya know. Like sour grapes.

Peace

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 10-14-2009 07:57 AM

Linnea wrote:
You make my point.

To my recollection -- and I would challenge someone like "zed" to put my recollection to the test -- more people left, or at least took a break, over the tiresome, day-after-day, thread after insipid "George sucks" threads than ever left over the decision to stop it. I would know. I was one of them. Whether you're "grieving" or not, there's only so many ways to say George-isn't-Art. Especially seven years later.

I don't miss you or your friends, zed. Hope you've found happier pastures elsewhere.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

viracocha
Pirate

Post by viracocha » 10-17-2009 11:44 PM

Nobody ever discusses anything related to the show in this site. It's pages and pages of inane chit chat. That's why I asked about sites where people actually discuss C2C. That was a waste of time.
There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-17-2009 11:59 PM

viracocha, If you listen to "Coast" on Friday nights, George mentions a few sites (which I will not name) that you might like (or not). One in particular he promotes heavily. It always has nightly discussions. As for me, I will stay with my Pirate mates on the best ship sailing the cyberseas instead. :D
Last edited by racehorse on 10-18-2009 12:22 AM, edited 1 time in total.
racehorse

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 10-18-2009 12:24 AM

viracocha if you are such a big Noory fan you would know who he promotes....

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 11-27-2009 10:39 PM

If you go back in the achieves we did just that ad nausem for a long time. The good news is Art Bell is on live tonight with an intelligent guest no less.:)

Return to “George Noory/C2C AM Topics/Radio topics”