Avocado trees

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 12-07-2009 12:58 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Looks like it is growing just fine -- only thing I would suggest is sunlight especially this time of year.

Do you fertilize it at all?

My crazy banana bushes (not trees - no hard bark on bananas) are growing like crazy even after being cut down to nubbins before bringing roots indoors. Several leaves on them and not sure what I will do with them as I really did not want them growing....oh well. Just move them to tallest ceiling area and let them go and grow...

Ya, light is at a premium here this time of year. I have a SPOT-GRO bulb I'll be rigging up soon to help out. I'll be hooking it up to a timer so it gets 10-12 hrs a day.

Haven't given it any fertilizer at all yet, but soon I'll transplant it to the 29 gallon tub its sitting on and give it some then.

I've got 10' ceilings here and would love to give apple bananas a try.:cool:
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-07-2009 01:54 PM

megman -- sorry banana bushes require a whole lot taller area. The sun-room apex is around 12ft and they will have difficulties with top leaves -- if I allow them to get that tall indoors.

Sounds like you will have the problem taken care of with gro lite and fertilizer when you transplant. Keep us posted!

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 12-30-2009 03:24 AM

Well I finally got my avocado tree transplanted to a bigger pot. Actually its a Rubbermaid bin. It was totally root-bound in the 12" pot. I used 36L of potting soil with plant food.

I figured the tree would probably go into shock for a bit but I've got massive growth going on all over, including 2 new branches starting.

Also in the attached pic, on the far left I have a ginger plant (which I'm not sure is going to last much longer) and just right next to that hidden by the tree, but soon to go crazy, is an Amaryllis. Shortly it should start growing at the rate of an inch a day or so.:cool:
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-16-2011 02:46 PM

megman wrote: Well I finally got my avocado tree transplanted to a bigger pot. Actually its a Rubbermaid bin. It was totally root-bound in the 12" pot. I used 36L of potting soil with plant food.

I figured the tree would probably go into shock for a bit but I've got massive growth going on all over, including 2 new branches starting.

Also in the attached pic, on the far left I have a ginger plant (which I'm not sure is going to last much longer) and just right next to that hidden by the tree, but soon to go crazy, is an Amaryllis. Shortly it should start growing at the rate of an inch a day or so.:cool:

That is cool, I have an avocado I have been growing for about 6 years now. It is not as bushy as yours, and I have had to cut it back a few times, but it is a nice plant.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-17-2011 01:35 AM

My housekeeper brought me 2 creamy avocados from trees in her sister's yard in south Florida. I managed to get the seeds to sprout and root, and I put them in large pots in my yard. The damn squirrels first ate the sprouts, and then they dug up the seeds and ate the hearts... (sigh) THOSE were the best ones I've ever tasted, and I understand the sister brought the original seeds twenty years ago from E Salvador when they immigrated to America. Their mother is now 106 and still living by herself in El Salvador, and has 80+ year old orange, apple, avocado, lemon, lime and several kinds of nut trees flourishing on her acre of property. The house has no doors and no windows, but since it's always such tropical weather, she just puts up with the bugs and the critters who come in and out, at will. For her to be 106 and still able to live alone, she must be in a very healthy region. Marina is always trying to get me to go visit, with her... But I'm not that adventurous. I'm sure it's a lovely place, but I'd have to take the inoculations to get out of the country to go down there, and since vaccines always give me such violent reactions, I don't think being ill for 4-6 weeks would be worth the trip, even if it is a paradise for some.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-17-2011 01:38 AM

My housekeeper brought me 2 creamy avocados from trees in her sister's yard in south Florida. I managed to get the seeds to sprout and root, and I put them in large pots in my yard. The damn squirrels first ate the sprouts, and then they dug up the seeds and ate the hearts... (sigh) THOSE were the best ones I've ever tasted, and I understand the sister brought the original seeds twenty years ago from El Salvador when they immigrated to America.

Their mother is now 106 and still living by herself in El Salvador, and has 80+ year old orange, apple, avocado, lemon, lime and several kinds of nut trees flourishing on her acre of property. The house has no doors and no windows, but since it's always such tropical weather, she just puts up with the bugs and the critters who come in and out, at will. For her to be 106 and still able to live alone, she must be in a very healthy region.

Marina is always trying to get me to go visit, with her... But I'm not that adventurous. I'm sure it's a lovely place, but I'd have to take the inoculations to get out of the country to go down there, and since vaccines always give me such violent reactions, I don't think being ill for 4-6 weeks would be worth the trip, even if it is a paradise for some.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Return to “Garden & Galley”