Post by Linnea » 05-14-2010 01:36 PM

Summary of missing posts: (I think) ;)

HB3
Pirate

LA City Council Votes for Civil War 2

Bad, bad, bad move...

quote:L.A. Becomes Largest City To Boycott Arizona
LOS ANGELES (CBS) --

Los Angeles on Wednesday became the largest city yet to boycott Arizona over its tough new law targeting illegal immigration in a move that likely will affect some $8 million in contracts with the state.

The City Council voted 13-1 to bar Los Angeles from conducting business with Arizona unless the law is repealed. The vote followed an emotional council discussion during which many members noted that their ancestors were U.S. immigrants.

"Los Angeles is the second-largest city in this country. An immigrant city, an international city needs to have its voice heard," Councilman Ed Reyes said.

Ed Reyes is an idiot.

http://cbs2.com/local/Los.Angeles.City.2.1689109.html

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
Old Post 05-13-2010 06:56 AM
HB3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HB3 Visit HB3's homepage! Find more posts by HB3 Add HB3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

HB3 - well we as a nation could boycott LA!

Don't we find it strange that LA's crime rates have gone down - maybe they've already enacted their own illegal actions and are afraid that all those illegals will head to LA....

There we go - send all the illegals to LA!
nahhhh -- j/k

Old Post 05-13-2010 01:49 PM
Cherry Kelly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cherry Kelly Visit Cherry Kelly's homepage! Find more posts by Cherry Kelly Add Cherry Kelly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

HB3
Pirate

quote:well we as a nation could boycott LA!

Indeed. And silent boycotts are often the ones that really work.

Old Post 05-13-2010 06:02 PM
HB3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HB3 Visit HB3's homepage! Find more posts by HB3 Add HB3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Re: LA City Council Votes for Civil War 2

quote:Originally posted by HB3
Bad, bad, bad move...

Ed Reyes is an idiot.

http://cbs2.com/local/Los.Angeles.City.2.1689109.html

Good, good, good excellent move... don't do business with bigots and racists...

or the people that support them.

Old Post 05-13-2010 06:05 PM
Rombaldi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rombaldi Find more posts by Rombaldi Add Rombaldi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

HB3
Pirate

Meanwhile...

quote: The public broadly supports a new Arizona law aimed at dealing with illegal immigration and the law’s provisions giving police increased powers to stop and detain people who are suspected of being in the country illegally.

Fully 73% say they approve of requiring people to produce documents verifying their legal status if police ask for them. Two-thirds (67%) approve of allowing police to detain anyone who cannot verify their legal status, while 62% approve of allowing police to question people they think may be in the country illegally.

http://people-press.org/report/613/...immigration-law

Old Post 05-13-2010 06:18 PM

HB3
Pirate

And this is a good one:

quote: “I’ve just expressed concerns on the basis of what I’ve heard about the law. But I’m not in a position to say at this point, not having read the law, not having had the chance to interact with people are doing the review, exactly what my position is,” Mr. Holder told the House Judiciary Committee.

This weekend Mr. Holder told NBC’s “Meet the Press” program that the Arizona law “has the possibility of leading to racial profiling.” He had earlier called the law’s passage “unfortunate,” and questioned whether the law was unconstitutional because it tried to assume powers that may be reserved for the federal government.

Rep. Ted Poe, who had questioned Mr. Holder about the law, wondered how he could have those opinions if he hadn’t yet read the legislation.

“It’s hard for me to understand how you would have concerns about something being unconstitutional if you haven’t even read the law,” the Texas Republican told the attorney general.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-he-criticized/

Old Post 05-13-2010 06:20 PM

HB3
Pirate

Oh, and then there's this....

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionl...ation-poll.html

Poll: Was the L.A. City Council right to pass a boycott of Arizona?

Yes. Arizona needs to feel the consequences of enacting a bad law. 2% (268 votes)
Yes, though the boycott should be more of a symbolic gesture than an official measure. <1% (43 votes)
No, but only because doing so is probably illegal and not in L.A.'s interest. 4% (424 votes)
No. The city should mind its own business. 94% (11,093 votes)
Total Votes: 11,828

Read the comments, too.

Old Post 05-13-2010 08:54 PM

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

You don't get it do you...

This is NOT about providing documentation on your citizenship status..

It's about WHO THEY WILL BE ASKING...

You think that they will be stopping asking blonde hair, blue eyed people .. 'show me your papers'?

Grow up and stop defending these bigots and racists... or are you defending your own position?

Old Post 05-14-2010 01:02 AM
Rombaldi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rombaldi Find more posts by Rombaldi Add Rombaldi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-14-2010 02:34 PM

Still missing some here after Rombaldi's usual litany of abuse...

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-14-2010 02:38 PM

Oh, well, let's just start afresh, shall we?
Arizona's controversial new immigration law probably would withstand legal challenges on constitutional grounds, according to a panel of three UC San Diego law professors.
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/sdcou ... b4465.html

What'll be interesting to see is, if the law does indeed pass constitutional muster, whether LA (and San Francisco) will then rescind their boycotts.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-14-2010 02:44 PM

From the same article...
Critics say the law, which takes effect later this year, could lead to racial profiling of Latinos and other ethnic minorities. Some Latino and civil rights groups, including the American Civil Liberties Union and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, say they plan to challenge the law in court.

Those groups say the Arizona law also violates the U.S. Constitution by interfering with federal immigration power and authority.

Professor Lawrence Alexander, who teaches constitutional law at UCSD, said that argument would fail because the Arizona law does not conflict with federal immigration law. The state law is only seeking to enforce the federal law, he said.

"I don't see anything in this law that is going to fail a challenge on the grounds of federal supremacy," Alexander said.
I said this elsewhere, but what this again proves is that the people claiming "it's a federal responsibility" were making excuses to defer and delay action forever.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-14-2010 02:50 PM

Under the law, police officers who detain a person, such as in a traffic stop, are required to question a person about his or her immigration status if there is "reasonable suspicion" that the person is in the United States illegally.

The panelists agreed that defining what constitutes "reasonable suspicion" could be problematic. But that alone does not render the law unconstitutional, Alexander said.

"Could a police officer overstep the bounds and do something that the Constitution does not permit? Of course," he said. "Police officers can do that now. They can do that without the law, but the law itself does not authorize anything that is unconstitutional."

The Arizona law, which said that race or ethnicity cannot be the only factor prompting a police officer to ask a person's immigration status, was later amended to say that race could not be considered at all in questioning a person's status.

Dripps said the U.S. Supreme Court has said that a person's apparent Mexican ancestry can be a factor in stopping someone for an immigration stop by immigration agents. The question, he said, is whether that authority would also apply to police officers asking someone about his or her immigration status.

Schwarzschild also raised questions about whether the law could be discriminatory.

"I think the answer there is: It could. In the way that it is enforced," Schwarzschild said. "But it certainly doesn't, on its face."
I'm really shocked by this reasonable and equitable article from the North County Times. The only possible explanation is that everyone in North County (Riverside, San Diego) is a Nazi racist.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-14-2010 07:46 PM

Now that I think of it, though, the Democrats won't be interested in facts. Considering that it looks like they won't be able to pass an amnesty for November, their best bet will be to to scream "NAZI!!!!!" at the top of their lungs for six months.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-14-2010 08:39 PM

HB3 wrote: The only possible explanation is that everyone in North County (Riverside, San Diego) is a Nazi racist.
HB3 wrote: Considering that it looks like they won't be able to pass an amnesty for November, their best bet will be to to scream "NAZI!!!!!" at the top of their lungs for six months.

As someone that would like to discuss this topic, I find the enviroment uncomfortable for doing so. HB, perhaps you could take it down a notch or two :confused:
Last edited by SETIsLady on 05-14-2010 09:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-15-2010 02:22 PM

San Diego reaps the benefits of the ethno-nationalist LA City Council...
San Diego tourism leaders and hoteliers fear they could lose a sizable chunk of business this summer from valued “Zonies” who are so angered by elected leaders’ recent censure of Arizona for its illegal-immigration law that they’re mounting an informal boycott of their own.

The San Diego Convention & Visitors Bureau and several hotels report receiving e-mails and letters from Arizona visitors saying they intend to change their plans to travel here in light of local outcry over their home state’s anti-illegal-immigration stance.
Further down...
In a draft letter yet to be approved by visitors bureau and hotel association leaders, Terzi sought to clarify the city’s position on the immigration law while stressing the respect the region has for Arizona’s visitors.

“While immigration is a complex and sensitive issue for our nation, we believe it needs to be addressed independent of actions that would harm our economies and hardworking residents,” states the letter.
Oops....

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010 ... ips-to-sd/

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-15-2010 02:24 PM

SETIsLady wrote: As someone that would like to discuss this topic, I find the environment uncomfortable for doing so. HB, perhaps you could take it down a notch or two :confused:

Sorry, I thought this thread was in the process of being overtaken by maniacs. Seems to've calmed down. Or at least...gone silent again. ;)

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 05-16-2010 08:24 PM

Oh, you mean you're gonna stop posting your garbage trying to incite violence??

You're posted 14 out of the 18 posts... you answer your OWN POSTS and QUOTE YOURSELF.

You're a spammer and seem to want to see people injured and hurt...

Just.
Leave.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-17-2010 11:35 AM

Uh oh. From California Penal Code 834B:
(a) Every law enforcement agency in California shall fully cooperate with the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service regarding any person who is arrested if he or she is suspected of being present in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws. (b) With respect to any such person who is arrested, and suspected of being present in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws, every law enforcement agency shall do the following: (1) Attempt to verify the legal status of such person as a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent resident, an alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time or as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of immigration laws. The verification process may include, but shall not be limited to, questioning the person regarding his or her date and place of birth, and entry into the United States, and demanding documentation to indicate his or her legal status. (2) Notify the person of his or her apparent status as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws and inform him or her that, apart from any criminal justice proceedings, he or she must either obtain legal status or leave the United States. (3) Notify the Attorney General of California and the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service of the apparent illegal status and provide any additional information that may be requested by any other public entity. (c) Any legislative, administrative, or other action by a city, county, or other legally authorized local governmental entity with jurisdictional boundaries, or by a law enforcement agency, to prevent or limit the cooperation required by subdivision (a) is expressly prohibited.
Will California boycott itself?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/ ... s-ariz-la/

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-17-2010 12:25 PM

HB3, why are you still here? Didn't you hear Rombaldi telling you to leave? How can you live with yourself for showing such disrespect for your bettahs, for those whom God has put above you on the predatory food chain?

Land o' Goshen, how can we maintain a genteel and politically correct society unless and until the children of a lesser God know their place and act accordingly? Don't you all agree?
Last edited by joequinn on 05-17-2010 12:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-17-2010 01:01 PM

The psychology of the bully in action. "This is MY playground!"

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 05-17-2010 05:08 PM

HB3 wrote: The psychology of the bully in action. "This is MY playground!"
Yes as you show in your continual spamming your own topics, replying to yourself to make your worthless crap to incite violence look important...

Bully.. yeah, fits... H/Bully/3
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-17-2010 06:33 PM

Janet Napolitano admits that she hasn't read the bill, "but I certainly know of it."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... gn_it.html

First Holder, now this.

Anyone else see a pattern?

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”