LA City Council Votes for Civil War 2

Moderator: Super Moderators

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 05-29-2010 11:56 AM

Hey OMG, really terrific post!

Agree with most everything you said.

As for much of Europe, from what I've seen and heard, they appear to be even further to the right on this issue than we are in America (or are heading in that direction at least).
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-29-2010 12:06 PM

Perhaps popularly, but not officially. The French thought they were getting something with Sarkozy, but he turned out to be another EU bureaucrat. That's where the conflict lies in Europe today.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-29-2010 12:13 PM

OMG wrote:
English is spoken more now around Europe, I'm guess some of the previous generations were screaming much like Repub/Conserv in this nation "Keep our native language strong" but if they wanted to do business across the pond, or the biggest market in Europe. English seems to be the default language so their newer generatoins understood they have to adapt. That's our problem, we have fallen behind, we are still putting up giant walls and "english only"rules, and calling for assimilation instead of adapting to the changing landscape. Maybe that's the big fear here, if we start becoming more of a bilingual nation then the Mexican who speaks his native tounge but also took the time here to speak English starts having a much more impressive resume than the person who lived through life with thoughts of "Damn Mexicans and there language, speak English!". I never viewed language as an identity to a nation, it's the people who make the nation. Then again as a nation accepting and learning spanish is great practice for when we all need to speak Mandarin in a couple of decades :D

Correcting this paragraph is going to take a lot of work, especially considering OMG never ever replies to my posts. Am I on OMG's "ignore" list or something?

Hey, OMG...testing, testing, testing....

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-29-2010 12:26 PM

OMG - this is the USA. Our forefathers chose English as the language to be used and spoken and written. Many of our ancestors came from non-English speaking countries. They learned English. Many spoke their native language at home, but they learned English. [Granted our American English has adapted and adopted words from other languages.]

Those Mexican and other Spanish speaking people who come here legally, and work on naturalization learn English. Not so with far too many illegals.

When I travel to Mexico, I speak English or Spanish depending upon the people with whom I am conversing. One time when there, I spoke French to some French speaking Canadians.

I do not mind having schools where children are learning English (that speak Spanish as their first language). I see nothing wrong with classes for adults to learn English. BUT I am NOT going to put up with non-Americans - illegals who demand that ONLY their language be used. This is the USA! You want to be in this country - do so legally. You learn the language of the USA - it is English.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-29-2010 12:52 PM

Can't we get back to advocating civil war?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-29-2010 01:14 PM

Anyway, you'd think it'd be the height of good manners to ask the people living within a society if they want their society to be transformed.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-29-2010 02:13 PM

While you people are wondering whether we are reaching the climax of that tedious cinematic epic with a cast of millions and a budget of trillions (i.e. THE AMERIKAN EMPIRE), I know --- and have known for some time --- that we are actually viewing the end-credits just before THE END flashes on the screen.

All of this horses**t began in 1965 with the passage of the Immigration Act of 1965, an act whose express purpose was to destroy the Anglo-Saxon character of the United States. And now it's forty-five years later, and guess what?, even the Anglo-Saxon gentry have become a pack of street n***ahs! (Just like the youth of fifth century Constantinople used to like to dress up like Huns when they went out of their nocturnal wilding expeditions! --- and you know what happened next... ).

The filthy, degenerate capitalist pigs are sitting in their mahogany Wall Street offices watching Joe SixPack dueling to the death with Babu the wog from Calcutta and Darlene Soccer Mom clawing at the face of Esmeralda the wetback from Tijuana! They are sitting and watching and laughing their asses off (because, once they get bored of watching, they will just simply press the button and everybody will die!) Laughing and laughing and laughing...

Now, if the Los Angeles City Council had passed a resolution mandating all local multi-millionaires to the rough treatment of "redistributive justice," when then, that might have been something! But nah, it didn't happen. But it CAN happen, and it IS happening. Just see what the people of Greece are doing --- as a united people!

Just sayin'...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

HB3

Post by HB3 » 06-04-2010 04:38 PM

Yorba Linda passes measure supporting Arizona illegal-immigration law [Updated]
June 4, 2010 | 10:06 am

The Yorba Linda City Council approved a resolution this week supporting Arizona’s illegal-immigration law, making it what is believed to be the first city in California to approve a measure supporting the legislation.

The resolution approved Tuesday on a 3-0 vote also calls on the federal government to secure the national borders, said Mayor John Anderson, who sponsored it.

The council meeting was attended by several dozen people, many of whom spoke on the issue. The Arizona law says police may check the status of people they have stopped for another reason and reasonably suspect are illegal immigrants, according to the Arizona Legislature's website.

[Updated at 2:06 p.m.: A previous version of this post said police were required to check the immigration status of people they stop and suspect are illegal immigrants.]

“It’s a statement to ask the federal government to enforce the laws,” Anderson said Friday. “This isn’t in response to anyone but Arizona and the problem we commonly share.”

In Riverside County, the Hemet City Council last month asked its city manager to draft a similar resolution, to be voted on within the month. On the other side of the issue, the Los Angeles City Council and the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors have voted to boycott Arizona and ban official travel to the state to protest the law.

Voting with Anderson were Councilwoman Nancy Rikel and Councilman Mark Schwing. Councilwoman Jan Horton left before the issue came up late Tuesday to attend to a personal emergency.

Councilman Jim Winder walked out of the meeting when the issue came up, saying it was a waste of time and had nothing to do with Yorba Linda city government.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... n-law.html

Run, Jim, run!

Is this guy in the GOP or something?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 06-04-2010 04:42 PM

More immigrant rights' organizations are publicly condemning Costa Mesa's self-designation as a "Rule of Law City," with one group calling on residents to evacuate the city.

Zeke Hernandez, president of the Santa Ana League of United Latin American Citizens Council #147, said the resolution that city leaders approved Tuesday sends a message that its Latino immigrant population is not welcome in the city.

"I would guess that in terms of being undesirable, it can go two ways," Hernandez said Wednesday. "If the mayor decides they don't want the undesirables within the city limits, then people in Costa Mesa can also make a statement that the city of Costa Mesa is an undesirable place to live."

"When I say evacuate, certainly you should leave before the mayor sends his troops out," he added. "Because he has been very upfront that you are not welcome in the city of Costa Mesa."

The City Council passed the resolution Tuesday night, at the behest of Mayor Allan Mansoor, declaring the city as one that does not condone illegal immigration. Mansoor, a vocal opponent of illegal immigration, said the action will lead to future proposals cracking down on illegal immigrants in the city.

Mansoor said the city needs to do more to tackle the issue, including taking a look at whether police officers can do more to check immigration statuses of unlicensed drivers. In past years, the city has targeted day laborers and pushed for its police officers to enforce federal immigration laws.

He added that he was tired of the name-calling by opponents, including those who called him a racist, and those who believe that only federal government officials should deal with the issue.

In a statement, Angelica Salas, executive director of the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles , said, "The cancer of intolerance that has afflicted Arizona with the passage of SB1070 has now metastasized to the City of Costa Mesa. By declaring itself a "Rule of Law City," Costa Mesa has voted to make life a living hell for immigrants and their families."
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/city ... costa.html

Well, gee, I thought Costa Mesa already was a living hell.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 06-04-2010 04:53 PM

Oh noes!!!! :eek:
ORANGE – Councilman Jon Dumitru said illegal immigration in Orange has contributed to the city's budget deficit, which is why he introduced two resolutions supporting Arizona's controversial immigration-reform bill.

If both pass Tuesday, Orange would officially support Arizona's efforts to curb illegal immigration, and declare itself a Rule of Law city.

Orange would be the first Orange County city to do both.

"Some of the budget deficit is because of illegal immigration," Dumitru said. "The impacts on public safety (dealing) with illegal immigration bear a cost on the city. It impacts out budget left and right."

The first resolution Dumitru introduced decries cities such as Los Angeles and Santa Ana for passing resolutions to boycott Arizona businesses because of the law. (Read resolution in PDF)

"Here in the city of Orange, we've been impacted over the years by illegal immigration," Dumitru said. "We want to reach out and say we support everyone in Arizona who is trying to do what the federal government has failed to do."

The second resolution states the city will fully cooperate with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to determine the legal status of suspected illegal immigrants. (Read resolution in PDF)

"In so many words, this is a Rule of Law city resolution," Dumitru said. "We're going to support ICE. If you're being held for a crime, we're going to check you for status."

Dumitru said he believes both resolutions will pass.

"I do not think it will be unanimous, but they will pass," Dumitru said. "There are very strong opinions on both sides. I happen to think my side is right."

Mayor Carolyn Cavecche said she intends to support both resolutions.

"Los Angeles opened the door for any community to weigh in on this," Cavecche said. "We obviously deal with a lot of the same issues (as Arizona) in the city of Orange. I have no problem with the city of Orange coming forward."
http://www.ocregister.com/news/city-251 ... range.html

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-04-2010 05:43 PM

"Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out!"

http://spad1.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/claudius-2.jpg
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

lostindreamland
Pirate

Post by lostindreamland » 06-17-2010 12:24 AM

Rombaldi wrote: Oh, you mean you're gonna stop posting your garbage trying to incite violence??

You're posted 14 out of the 18 posts... you answer your OWN POSTS and QUOTE YOURSELF.

You're a spammer and seem to want to see people injured and hurt...

Just.
Leave.

Do it for Teddy. That's effing hilarious Hussein. I wonder if universal healthcare would have saved Mary Jo?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 06-17-2010 12:35 AM

Gee, you know, I never even saw that quote from Rombaldi. Jeez, that just isn't very nice.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 06-17-2010 11:35 AM

Hey, here's the latest:
QUESTION: Thank you very much.

I would like to start with the immigration debate in the United States. The recently approved law in Arizona has presented sort of a difficult scenario for the President Obama Administration. According to some polling, half of the United States has approved this law and maybe other states would like to implement it. How’s Obama Administration dealing with this debate? Is the immigration law near reality?

SECRETARY CLINTON: Well, Andrea, first, let me say how pleased I am that I have this chance to talk to you about these and other important issues. President Obama has spoken out against the law because he thinks that the federal government should be determining immigration policy. And the Justice Department, under his direction, will be bringing a lawsuit against the act.

But the more important commitment that President Obama has made is to try to introduce and pass comprehensive immigration reform. That is what we need. Everyone knows it, and the President is committed to doing it.
http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/checker.aspx?v=XdaGQu2GSU

HB3

Post by HB3 » 06-17-2010 11:51 AM

I read that Arizona voted itself a 1 percent tax increase recently to deal with its various economic troubles. I'd guess the reason they were able to do this is because the citizens of Arizona feel that their state government actually represents them, and so they've been able to develop a sense of "we're all in this together." That'd never happen in California.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”