What books are you reading ?

Moderator: Super Moderators

marsbase
Pirate

Post by marsbase » 06-18-2010 10:01 PM

Saharaka Hi- don't be ashamed. My eyes wouldn't be up to that task. King is usually a fast read.

I've wondered how this would fare as a movie, if done properly that is. A friend thought perhaps a mini-series.

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 06-18-2010 10:38 PM

I would definitely be up for a mini-series on the order of "The Stand".
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 06-20-2010 05:27 AM

Black Athena - The Fabrication of Ancient Greece
Professor Martin Bernal - Rutgers University Press

The Fabrication of Ancient Greece 51:08
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 327794272#
.... Techno Tribal Positively Primal
Shamanic Anarchistic Archaic Revival....

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Called Out of Darkness - Anne Rice

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 06-20-2010 06:54 PM

a spiritual confession

Lakesider
Pirate

Post by Lakesider » 06-21-2010 07:05 PM

Reading The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones by Stanley Booth.

Booth delivers a story on two fronts, one being the life and times of Stones originator Brian Jones-the early days of the band and the other a behind the scenes look at the Stones in the summer of 1969 leading up to the ill-fated concert at Altamont.

A excellent insight into the rock star-Beverly Hills lifestyle the Stones were living that summer and the Los Angeles counter culture scene.
Last edited by Lakesider on 06-21-2010 07:07 PM, edited 1 time in total.

SETIsLady
Pirate

By Way of Deception: The Making of a Mossad officer

Post by SETIsLady » 06-27-2010 02:34 AM

The # 1 New York Times best seller the Israeli foreign intelligence agency The Mossad tried to ban. The making of a Mossad officer is the true story of an officer in Israel's most secret agency. The first time the Mossad came calling, they wanted Victor Ostrovsky for their assassination unit, the kidon. He turned them down. The next time, he agreed to enter the grueling three-year training program to become a katsa, or intelligence case officer, for the legendary Israeli spy organization.

By Way of Deception is the explosive chronicle of his experiences in the Mossad, and of two decades of their frightening and often ruthless covert activities around the world. Penetrating far deeper than the bestselling Every Spy a Prince, it is an insider's account of Mossad tactics and exploits. In chilling detail, Ostrovsky asserts that the Mossad refused to share critical knowledge of a planned suicide mission in Beirut, leading to the death of hundreds of U.S. Marines and French troops. He tells how they tracked Yasser Arafat by recruiting his driver and bodyguard; how they withheld information on the whereabouts of American hostages, paving the way for the Iran-Contra scandal; and how their intervention into secret UN negotiations led to the sudden resignation of ambassador Andrew Young and the downfall of his career.

By Way of Deception describes the shocking scope and depth of the Mossad's influence, disclosing how Jewish communities in the U.S., Europe, and South America are armed and trained by the organization in secret ?self-defense? units, and how Mossad agents facilitate the drug trade in order to pay the enormous costs of its far-flung, clandestine operation. And it portrays a network that has grown dangerously out of control, as internal squabbles have led to the escape of terrorists and the pursuit of ?policies? completely at odds with the interests of the state of Israel. This document is possibly the most important and controversial book of its kind since Spycatcher.

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 06-27-2010 02:37 AM

The Gods of Eden William Bramley
"Scan pdf of the entire book, including chapter notes, Bibliography and index - 504 pages -
http://www.jrgenius.com/audiofiles/Will ... f_Eden.pdf

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 07-05-2010 03:41 PM

How to Find a Habitable Planet
James Kasting - Prof of Geosciences: Pennsylvania State University
ISBN13: 978-0-691-13805-3
http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9132.html

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-09-2010 06:04 PM

Old book, I know........

Witnessed by Budd Hopkins
Missing Time by Budd Hopkins
The Coming Insurrection by The Invisible Committee
Rambam's Commentary on The Torah
A Buddhist Bible edited by Dwight Goddard
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 07-28-2010 09:40 AM

I have only just discovered this book (although published in 1982) and after reading it realized that many of the guests (Lear, Howe, Sauder, Hoagland) that Art had on during his time, were expressing almost the same things yet a decade or more later - but as far as I can tell the author was never on... The book is available as a pdf download. (via torrent etc)

Moongate Suppressed Findings of the U.S. Space Program -
•NASA's True Link to Military Space Operations
•Secret Weapons Developed Under the Cover of the Civilian Space Program
• Suppressed Gravity Research Discoveries
• The Real U.S.-Russian Space Race
• Secret Discoveries that Put Apollo Astronauts on the Moon
• The Moon's True Nature and History
• The Great Energy Cover-Up
http://www.torrentreactor.net/torrents/ ... ce-Program

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-28-2010 11:03 PM

Cakes and Ale -- Somerset Maugham
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 07-29-2010 04:59 AM

Athanasius Kircher: The Last Man Who Knew Everything
"Athanasius Kircher (1602-1680) - German Jesuit, occultist, polymath - was one of most curious figures in the history of science. He dabbled in all the mysteries of his time: the heavenly bodies, sound amplification, museology, botany, Asian languages, the pyramids of Egypt -- almost anything incompletely understood. Kircher coined the term electromagnetism, printed Sanskrit for the first time in a Western book, and built a famous museum collection"

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Anne Rice "quits" Christianity

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-29-2010 09:33 PM

It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

SETIsLady
Pirate

Re: Anne Rice "quits" Christianity

Post by SETIsLady » 07-29-2010 10:35 PM

HurricaneJoanie wrote: Here's what she says....
Joannie, the link doesnt work, can you repost ?

Kaztronic

"Sea Of Poppies" by Amitav Ghosh

Post by Kaztronic » 08-10-2010 10:39 PM

Have been meaning to read this book for a couple of years now, just recently picked up a cloth copy while visiting a friend who works at Strand (formerly a secret, this has always been my favorite bookstore).

Since my fascination with trains began a few years ago, I've been unable to shift my reading away from tales of travel, history, and adventure (reading every bit of Paul Theroux I can get my hands on).

I am in need of an excursion!

From Publishers Weekly:

Diaspora, myth and a fascinating language mashup propel the Rubik's cube of plots in Ghosh's picaresque epic of the voyage of the Ibis, a ship transporting Indian girmitiyas (coolies) to Mauritius in 1838. The first two-thirds of the book chronicles how the crew and the human cargo come to the vessel, now owned by rising opium merchant Benjamin Burnham. Mulatto second mate Zachary Reid, a 20-year-old of Lord Jim–like innocence, is passing for white and doesn't realize his secret is known to the gomusta (overseer) of the coolies, Baboo Nob Kissin, an educated Falstaffian figure who believes Zachary is the key to realizing his lifelong mission. Among the human cargo, there are three fugitives in disguise, two on the run from a vengeful family and one hoping to escape from Benjamin. Also on board is a formerly high caste raj who was brought down by Benjamin and is now on his way to a penal colony. The cast is marvelous and the plot majestically serpentine, but the real hero is the English language, which has rarely felt so alive and vibrant.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”