Is it true ...

Plants, animals, botanicals, crystals, eco-systems. Wonders of Ga'ia

Moderator: Super Moderators

MickMack
Pirate

Is it true ...

Post by MickMack » 08-08-2010 10:50 PM

A couple weeks ago , a local green activist ((Jacques Languirand) , mentionned in a conference , that : 90% of the fish and 40% of the bees have already disapeared !!!

Is this true ???
If you know someone who is not interested into it's own personal growth ,
That's no good for him , That's no good for you , That's no good for nobody !!!

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 08-09-2010 12:11 AM

I can't say for sure, but I think that's a little exaggerated. However, I am pretty sure that 30% of the bees in the U.S. are gone, and that hives were being imported... but then those bees are showing signs of hive collapse syndrome, too, so the foreign beekeepers aren't readily offering to let us "borrow their bees" these days. But I haven't seen any exact percentages of either the world-wide bees or the fish. A few more oil spills, though, and there won't be any safe fish or crustaceans for us to consume.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-09-2010 04:16 AM

I had been following this for a while about a year or so back. Many of the hives have disappeared. Also, bats are disappearing at an incredible rate.

We're at the canary in the coal mine stage, and it's notsinking-in with society. Many people are more concerned with The Bachelorette, and The Housewives of (fill-in-the-blank) than they are with the world about them.......
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-09-2010 09:58 AM

hmm - beekeeper some miles down the road - added five new hives this year. He stated they are once again expanding. Will say he stated that he is not back up to where he can haul hives to many areas - which he did for some years. He said other bee keepers he has spoken with stated they are increasing again but figured it would be a few more years before more enough recovery to not be concerned.

Dunno about fish, but do remember that a northern lake I enjoyed fishing in up in norther Iowa had brought in some very aggressive fish (muskies - short name) and caused the almost extinction of a lot of other game fish. They spent several years trying to get rid of the muskies - and have not heard if they were successful or not.

Have also heard about other imported fish that have caused problems too.

strjac7
Pirate

Post by strjac7 » 08-25-2010 04:37 AM

I don't know the percentage. To save fish in most of the place we are not fishing in some particular time.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-25-2010 06:04 AM

strjac7 wrote: I don't know the percentage. To save fish in most of the place we are not fishing in some particular time.

He may have been referring to certain stocks of fish. For example, up here in the northeast, many fishermen out of Glocester and New Bedford - some of the largest fishing ports in the country, btw, the boats are sitting idly dockside. Much of this is due to recent government intervention (inteference??) in the livelihood of these individuals.

However, off the coast of New England, over in George's Bank, where some of the best fishing in the world can be found, we've had problems for decades with ships coming from as far as Canada, Norway and Japan - competing with American fishers. Large factory ships tale the catch, process, and prserve the fish right on the ships and then bring them back to their home ports.

If you think that total world population has grwn from 1.6 billion people in 1900 to over 6.8 billion today - and we all have to eat, right? - it's probably not far fetched to see where many fish stocks have disappeared.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Return to “The Natural World”