Google-Verizon Deal: The End of The Internet as We Know It

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 08-06-2010 11:05 PM

They know exactly how to use it.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-06-2010 11:09 PM

HB3 wrote: They're talking about predicting the future. That's gotta be valuable information, if you know how to use it.

Or know how to manipulate it perhaps?
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 08-07-2010 12:36 AM

Its all about trends and being able to shape them to your liking.

In this age of technology information is better than gold.......
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Kaztronic

Google & Verizon announce a deal

Post by Kaztronic » 08-09-2010 07:51 PM

Well, despite playing coy that their was no deal last week, today Google & Verizon announced they had reached an agreement for a proposal on "net neutrality" - I use quotation marks because the proposal they are putting forth is not net neutrality, it is full of loopholes and leaves the door wide open for the corruption of the internet to further corporate profits that has been widely feared all along.

Let's see if Google is able to start flexing their White House and Congressional muscle to move this forward. If this is the initial proposal, which will of course be weakened as it moves it's way through the levers of government, then the prophecy that began this thread may in fact be a reality, the end of the internet as we know it.

~snip~

Google Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. on Monday called for equal treatment of most Internet traffic while at the same time saying fast-growing cellular networks and yet-to-be-developed broadband services should be exempt from such restrictions.

The ideas outlined in the proposal put forth by the Internet search giant and one of the largest broadband providers stand in contrast to the Federal Communications Commission's recent proposals on "net neutrality" rules, which would prevent companies from giving preferential handling to certain types of online traffic.

In Google's case, the proposal's endorsements of two-tier Internet service and a hands-off approach to cellular-based Web services represent a break with many other online companies, which have argued for strict neutrality in how Internet traffic is treated. Google itself previously expressed general support for rules prohibiting discrimination among forms of Web traffic.

Wall Street Journal
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Captain Fantastic
DREAD PIRATE

Post by Captain Fantastic » 08-17-2010 07:40 PM

Any updates? Anyone following this important issue?

The wireless and mobile applications in the communications revolution is the future. This is the market Google and Verizon wish to capture and set industry standards and usage rules for.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-17-2010 08:42 PM

I've been following it very closely, and an opinion has begun to form in my mind - either this is an early indicator of a descent in to madness for me, or perhaps I am on to something?

The real story is Google, they are the ones to watch. Verizon is probably tagging along for the profits.

The stories are out there, one foreign government after another has begun to investigate Google for the monitoring programs they are running all over the place.

The pieces are beginning to fall in to place for me. The incredibly close ties to the White House and Washington in general, foriegn governments ringing the alarm bell all over the world and launching investigations, with the company making deals to work with the CIA, with the NSA having been involved in the initial building of the software........

Google, in my opinion at least, might just be one of the most brilliant government spy programs ever conceived.

Think about the possibilities.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 08-17-2010 09:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-17-2010 10:22 PM

How is NASA allowed to lend its resources to private industry? Was this caused by the counter-terrorism era 'rules' - which are probably secretly still in effect?

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 08-18-2010 12:05 AM

Google's "in" was the building of 1,000,000 sq.ft. of office and research space and the Gigipan Project.

The thing people need to keep in mind is of all those billions that Google has made, 97% has been made from advertising. Its obvious who they are working for.

They're unofficial motto of "Don't be evil" was the warning bells...........
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 08-18-2010 08:42 PM

Here's a good one from the Tea Party:
Radke said the Tea Party opposition to net neutrality stems from concerns over increased government power.

“I think the clearest thing is it’s an affront to free speech and free markets,” she said.

She said more Tea Party groups plan to make time to focus on net neutrality ahead of the midterm elections.

“There are so many assaults on individual liberties — the EPA, net neutrality, cap-and-trade, card-check; the list goes on — that sometimes the Tea Party doesn’t know where to start its battles,” Radtke said.

Phone and cable companies have argued that increased regulation of Internet practices could have a detrimental effect on the industry. They argue that tough regulations could deter network investments and hinder the expansion of broadband infrastructure.

The free-speech objection to net neutrality has also gained some ground recently. The National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA) and AT&T began citing First Amendment objections to net neutrality in public discussions and in filings with the FCC this year.

The free-speech argument holds that, by interfering with how phone and cable companies deliver Internet traffic, the government would be thwarting the free-speech rights of providers such as AT&T, Verizon and Comcast. - source

So... the Tea Party believes that corporate prioritization of ones group's "speech" over another, is "free speech"? That take gets a - 1000!

AT&T and Verizon have no free speech rights. They are not people - in fact they are welfare queens of a sort, and so by the Tea Party's own logic, they should be shunned for the counter-productive parasites they are. Oddly, it's the "speech" of actual people those entities will be stifling by choosing who is heard and who is not.
Last edited by SquidInk on 08-18-2010 09:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-18-2010 09:43 PM

The tea party will probably score top tier access as their anti-govt rhetoric supports rule by mega corporations.

Of course, 'the people' in aggregate have 'the power' - but not if the means of communication are subsumed.

cherry
Pirate

The Matrix ))))))))

Post by cherry » 08-20-2010 11:47 PM

I choose the red pill .... :o

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”