'The Walking Dead' Premieres on AMC Sunday, October 31 (Hall

Moderator: Super Moderators

Crow T. Robot
Pirate

Post by Crow T. Robot » 11-15-2010 06:17 PM

Cool links Joolz. I wonder how the gang from Lost would react to the zombie apocalypse?

I have not read the comics, but from what I understand, the Merle story line was added for the show.

I do hope to see Morgan and Duane again.

ETA - Looks like it'll be a long wait for season two
Damn....and I thought the wait for Breaking Bad was long.
Last edited by Crow T. Robot on 11-15-2010 06:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 11-15-2010 07:55 PM

Hey Joolz! And Crow!! Good to see you again!

Love this show Joolz! Would have checked in sooner, but Biker and I have been busy! I caught the first episode, and loved it. Biker caught the repeat, and now we are both hooked. The horse bit didn't bother me too much, you didn't see much, and the pic you posted helped! I saved it, so thanks!

Hope all is well with Corvid, and by-the-way, have I "seen" you two in Ireland?! :D
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-15-2010 10:46 PM

Crow T. Robot wrote: Cool links Joolz. I wonder how the gang from Lost would react to the zombie apocalypse?

You're most welcome for the links. (Thanks for your addition to our links as well!) It's always fun to share what we find.

Great question! Yeah, that would be fun to think about.
I have not read the comics, but from what I understand, the Merle story line was added for the show.

I do hope to see Morgan and Duane again.

ETA - Looks like it'll be a long wait for season two
Damn....and I thought the wait for Breaking Bad was long.

Thanks for the info about the wait for Season 2. I sorta figured we wouldn't get more episodes until next fall sometime. Bummer. I wish they'd gone for more episodes this season, but, according to what my daughter said she'd read, the idea was pitched to AMC too late this year for them to be able to get any more episodes in the can than these six, and still be on time for a 'Fearfest' premiere (which, evidently, is a big deal to AMC with this show).

(I like Breaking Bad, too. And Mad Men. And Rubicon. All of AMC's series have been great, IMO.)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-15-2010 11:04 PM

IronsGold wrote: Hey Joolz! And Crow!! Good to see you again!

Love this show Joolz! Would have checked in sooner, but Biker and I have been busy! I caught the first episode, and loved it. Biker caught the repeat, and now we are both hooked. The horse bit didn't bother me too much, you didn't see much, and the pic you posted helped! I saved it, so thanks!

Hope all is well with Corvid, and by-the-way, have I "seen" you two in Ireland?! :D

Hi IG! Great to see you, too!

Glad you and Biker are also enjoying this show. :) Have you caught up on Episodes 2 and 3 yet? Glad you enjoyed the horsie photo. :D

Corvid's well, and YES, you have "seen" us in Ireland! I get that totally. ;) We're absolutely loving that one, too! It's also on my all-time faves list. (Do you ever read Sutter on Twitter, or read his blog? He cracks me up sometimes!)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-15-2010 11:57 PM

Here's a really good review from James Poniewozik at TIME about last night's episode:
Walking Dead Watch: Back from the Undead

Posted by James Poniewozik Monday, November 15, 2010 at 8:40 am

Spoilers for last night's The Walking Dead coming up:

After a second episode that seemed to be set up partly to showcase what The Walking Dead can deliver in terms of zombie carnage on a basic-cable budget, the third episode of the first season, "Tell It to the Frogs," returned its focus to the human survivors. The Walking Dead is about the attempt to stay alive, of course, but like all postapocalyptic stories, it's also about the effete to maintain some kind of life that's worth living: law, morality, and the rules of decency and civilized society. By my lights, this attempt--and the glimpses of the bloody anarchy that's in store if it fails--is the most thrilling and scariest thing about this story.

More HERE: http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2010/11/1 ... z15PzSnwTs

(It's well worth reading, especially if you're interested in the thematic elements of the show in regard to the survivors. Excellent review.)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-16-2010 04:10 AM

Here's a link to Bear McCreary's blog for this episode:

The Walking Dead: Tell It to the Frogs | Posted by Bear McCreary on November 14th, 2010

This one was really fun to read and listen to! Loved it! Be sure to watch the video near the beginning. Very cool.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-16-2010 04:18 AM

And one more thing (good news!) before I leave this thread for the night. This quote is from TV by the Numbers (emphasis mine):
Anyone predicting the ratings for AMC’s The Walking Dead would go down for the third episode got it wrong.

The adults 18-49 held steady at 3.3 million adults 18-49 (2.5 national adults 18-49 rating), but those predicting the ratings would go up have a better case to make. Total viewers rose from 4.7 million viewers last week to 5.1 million last night.

Amazing...
Image Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-16-2010 09:25 AM

Well I wasn't one of the people watching the last 2 weeks I am behind again :o Going to try and catch up with ya tonight !

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-17-2010 05:51 AM

SETIsLady wrote: Well I wasn't one of the people watching the last 2 weeks I am behind again :o Going to try and catch up with ya tonight !

Cool! Epi 2 is on the gross side, but still excellent, IMO, despite the ick factor. Epi 3 delves more into our characters and is all-around great. Glad you're catching up!
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-21-2010 09:52 PM

Just bumping this thread as a reminder...

Tonight's episode is called "Vatos," and was written by Robert Kirkman, the author of the comic book series on which the show is based.

Looking forward to some excellent television!
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Crow T. Robot
Pirate

Post by Crow T. Robot » 11-22-2010 12:21 AM

Daaaaamn. Poor Amy. I don't feel so sorry about Ed though. I wonder how all the zombies found the camp? I thought maybe Merle rounded some up and loaded 'em up in the stolen van and unleashed them for revenge.
Loved the whole twist with the "vatos" and the man-eating dogs. ;)
I was thinking about the how long it'll take to get to season two and they might have the same problem that Lost had with Walt. Rick's son is gonna grow like a weed between the end of shooting season one and the start of season two. How are they gonna get around that?

Crap. Two more episodes. Can't wait.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-22-2010 04:32 AM

Hey Crow!

Yeah, WOW, what an episode! This show is so tightly written and the pacing is near perfect. Kirkman really knew what he was doing tonight.

I'm thinking the same thing you are about how that horde of zombies got to camp. Merle had to have something to do with that, IMO. There was a line earlier -- I think T-Dog might have said it -- when they discovered that the van was missing, then they thought Merle took it and would be headed back for camp wanting 'vengeance.' That line was there for a reason.

Yeah, I hear ya about the 'Walt aspect' with the kid, too. Maybe they could recast him for next season...

I thought Bear's music was really outstanding in this one. Freakin' amazing, actually. Very rich. He's using a lot of traditional Appalachian instruments (because of where the show is set), like banjo (only this one's electric), dulcimer, autohatp, etc., for some of the scenes, except that they are using them in really unique and different ways. I really noticed this in the scene where the guys were walking up the first time to meet the other 'gang' to try to get Glenn back. It was awesome. Listen for it, y'all.
Last edited by Joolz on 11-22-2010 04:43 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-22-2010 05:09 AM

I just read Bear's blog for tonight's show. He added an electric violin tonight, too. I thought that's what I was hearing at times, but hadn't seen him mention that instrument, so wasn't sure. But I was right. :cool:

Here's a link to the blog:

The Walking Dead: Vatos | Posted by Bear McCreary on November 21st, 2010

As I've mentioned before, there are audio clips from the score embedded the blog, so you can actually hear snippets of what he's talking about in various scenes. As Bear noted in an earlier blog, a good score melds with what you're seeing onscreen so well that you don't really notice it so much. If you DO notice it a lot, then it's not a good score. He's right, so it's nice to hear some if just as a standalone. I really enjoy just being able to focus on the music in those clips. Incredible talent there.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 11-22-2010 02:15 PM

Joolz wrote: Hi IG! Great to see you, too!

Glad you and Biker are also enjoying this show. :) Have you caught up on Episodes 2 and 3 yet? Glad you enjoyed the horsie photo. :D

Corvid's well, and YES, you have "seen" us in Ireland! I get that totally. ;) We're absolutely loving that one, too! It's also on my all-time faves list. (Do you ever read Sutter on Twitter, or read his blog? He cracks me up sometimes!)

Sorry it took so long to get back to you Joolz! This time of year is crazy and Biker is spending a lot of time on the computer running his Fantasy Football team! MEN! :D

I'm all caught up on WD, and Biker just has to watch the last episode. I'm keeping him away because this is one show where you can't be "spoiled"!

I'm off to hit your links, and I'll try to wrestle the computer away from Biker more often!

Glad you're liking "Sons"! Only two episodes left! I'm heart-broken!
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-23-2010 03:26 AM

IronsGold wrote: Sorry it took so long to get back to you Joolz! This time of year is crazy and Biker is spending a lot of time on the computer running his Fantasy Football team! MEN! :D

I'm all caught up on WD, and Biker just has to watch the last episode. I'm keeping him away because this is one show where you can't be "spoiled"!

I'm off to hit your links, and I'll try to wrestle the computer away from Biker more often!

Glad you're liking "Sons"! Only two episodes left! I'm heart-broken!

No problem IG - good to see you!

I'm assuming Fantasy Football is a game? If so, then, I know what you mean. If I didn't have my own computer, I'd have the same problem (only it isn't a football game). ;)

Glad you're caught up on TWD! :D Hope Biker catches up with you soon! Two more episodes, then it's gone for another year... :(

Yeah, same deal with "Sons."... only two more episodes! :( :eek: I really love both these shows. It's the writing on both the sucked me in. I just can't resist a well-told, well-crafted tale.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”