Lovely Catalogs - for gardening

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Lovely Catalogs - for gardening

Post by Cherry Kelly » 01-03-2011 01:29 PM

Seed catalogs did arrive early - normally they start arriving the second week of January - not this year! They started arriving here - some before Christmas and several before New Years.

Many more people will be gardening this year according to numerous reports. As an avid gardener who has seen more local small gardens last year, can believe there will be a lot more people gardening this year.

So while we peruse those delightful and colorful seed catalogs remember - the pictures are usually the 'best of the best' and what you will obtain from your growing efforts may not look like the photographs shown.

Start by checking your zone against the information for the seeds (produce) you want to grow.

If starting your own seeds go back 7-10 days for starting time. Some seeds do not germinate as quickly as indicated in the catalogs. (especially when starting them indoors)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-03-2011 11:43 AM

while waiting for seeds to arrive (and yes looking at snow drifts) I have my flowers blooming indoors.

[img]Geraniums2011.jpg[/img]

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-03-2011 09:36 PM

Hey, Cherry. :) Wha'cha got blooming indoors? I have a vine that is blooming with pretty red flowers. Don't know the name of it. Some type of wax plant, I think. Also have a new violet plant I grew from a leaf from a plant which was not doing too well last summer. Wondering when that will bloom...

:cool:

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-04-2011 11:46 AM

Both a pink and a salmon (pinking) colored Geraniums are in bloom, a prayer plant with its tiny tiny stems and flowers and a white petunia which just finished blooming. My pink-purple - not sure what to call that color jade is also blooming and my red hibiscus is budding again.

My bleeding heart has some buds showing again and probably will bloom in a week or so.I did have some begonias blooming before Christmas, but my Christmas cactus bloomed last Thanksgiving.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-04-2011 03:24 PM

Well that paints a very pretty picture. ;) And, I had forgotten about the Prayer plant blooming. I have one in bloom as well with delicate white with lavender blossoms.

Meanwhile - the 'Christmas cactus here is scheduled to bloom around Mother's Day.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-05-2011 10:53 AM

It really is pretty to see blooms when looking out at all the snow that is still piled up.
Those little prayer plant flowers are so tiny when compared to the leaves and flowers of other blooming plants, but very pretty!

What's with these Christmas cactus plants blooming at such crazy times of the year?

This morning found some of the pepper plants blooming again - one was my jalapeno pepper plant and other was the mini-bell pepper so might have some fresh ones in a month or less.

Return to “Garden & Galley”