Garden planning, planting time

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 07-17-2011 12:12 PM

Beautiful choke.....saw one many years ago downtown SF.

Grant ave, very fashionable shop, sprayed white very

expensive also ....Christmas decoration, dont know if they

are still there or not.......I love to eat them so nuts to the

decorations:D

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 07-17-2011 12:25 PM

joan roberts wrote: Beautiful choke.....saw one many years ago downtown SF.

Grant ave, very fashionable shop, sprayed white very

expensive also ....Christmas decoration, dont know if they

are still there or not.......I love to eat them so nuts to the

decorations:D

Yeah, well, I eat a lot of Christmas decorations myself, joan. :D
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 07-17-2011 04:16 PM

I wondered why you were so lit up:crazyjump

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 07-17-2011 04:46 PM

They call me tinsel teeth...
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-19-2011 01:06 PM

blanched, cut and froze some sweetcorn - got 4 'healthy sized' pints. Takes about 5 ears of corn (cut off sweet corn) to make the 2 cup (well healthy size means slightly over) pint. IF larger (longer/taller) ears of corn then it takes about 4 ears.

Quick blanch, into the ice, cool and cut. Put them in the new vacuum sealer zip locks.
==

Now working on pickled green tomatoes that were picked yesterday. These will have added dill, clove of garlic and a Jalapeno pepper. (Pepper gets holes poked into each end.) Then of course the brine (liquid).
===

Pjean63
Pirate

Post by Pjean63 » 07-19-2011 01:18 PM

Hey Cherry, we're fighting the grasshoppers over our tomatoes this year, if they turn just a little bit orange, I'm pulling them and putting them in the kitchen window, cause the hoppers will eat them on the vine! I've never had that happen before. AND our green pepper plants attract wasps....who knew? LOL
"I mock you with my monkey pants!" Oz-from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 07-19-2011 02:38 PM

I didn't know that. We have real good green onions comming up, they are sooo good. But so far no bugs. except in the house. piss ants...i just hate those things. they bite and it hurts awful.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 07-19-2011 03:08 PM

Dont like those bugs .....finally getting tomatoes and they

were worth the wait, so sweet.......Cherry is the expert

in the garden.......and hi all

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-20-2011 10:04 AM

OH - the crops and bugs -- Sevin5 -- ya its a chemical, but better to save the produce than let all the bugs eat them up. Don't normally use it except on the stems near ground on the squash type plants (cause bugs eat stems which kill plants) - but this yr - sigh....

TERRO for ants. Indoors, put it on the little cardboard wax strips that come with the package or on a small piece of wax paper in the path area where ants are running. They eat, take back to next -- bye-bye bad ants.

===
Picking tomatoes. Once they show even light green with touch of yellow or pinkish color - pick them! If you've ever seen the trucks from Mexico or other areas, they pick the tomatoes when still green (and grown to right sizes). DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE WINDOW! Put them in a flat box (or on paper towel) on the counter. IF in the window - unless you are turning them around several times a day, you can sunburn them. The light coming in the window is too intense. You also get uneven ripening - I know I used to do that too and no matter if I turned them 2-3 times a day -- ehh. NOW they just go on the counter and they ripen much better!

===
Pickling more green tomatoes today. YES its hot, but we like the pickled green tomatoes and it has helped to remove some from the areas where several tomatoes are growing on the same area of the plants. Just picked the smaller (golf ball sizes) and the biggest ones that are ripening on the counter. It helps allow the plant to put better growth on the remaining tomatoes and keeps stems from falling over so much!

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 07-20-2011 06:00 PM

TERRO for ants. Indoors, put it on the little cardboard wax strips that come with the package or on a small piece of wax paper in the path area where ants are running. They eat, take back to next -- bye-bye bad ants.

we use boric acid here. it takes a lot to kill them. i use bug spray from walie world that works great but again it takes a lot. these are tuff little guys. you spray them and they rear up and come after you.....scarry. it last about a month to finally get them GONE. you cant find one in the yard. but thank for the info i'll check it out next Ant vs Human War.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-20-2011 06:20 PM

These guys are munching the heck out of my rose bushes...

One bush has almost no leaves left. I don't use any pesticides and am too lazy to pick em off one by one, so enjoy little nasty caterpillars.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-21-2011 01:20 PM

Dawn dish-washing liquid - mixed with water - spray on the leaves - won't hurt the plant and those caterpillars don't like it!

I normally do not use much pesticides, but there are some bugs that destroy veggies, that the only thing that does work is bug dust. I'd rather have my produce (veggies) after all the work of growing them - than allow bugs to eat them all up.

As for flower bushes - the dawn mixture works quite well, and have used it a few times. However, the garden spider and preying mantis do a great job too!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-21-2011 06:33 PM

Fan, probably too late now, but what we use around here for aphids and box elder bugs is a mixture of Dawn dish soap mixed 2 tbsp to a liter of water. Spray it over the plants. The scent in Dawn keeps them from smelling out the plant, and if they get it on them, it make them very miserable. In fact, when we have had box elder bugs all over the place, we let the kids spray them directly, which kills them, and then when you hose them off the suds get on the ground and keep them from crawling under the siding.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-21-2011 09:43 PM

voguy wrote: Fan, probably too late now, but what we use around here for aphids and box elder bugs is a mixture of Dawn dish soap mixed 2 tbsp to a liter of water. Spray it over the plants. The scent in Dawn keeps them from smelling out the plant, and if they get it on them, it make them very miserable. In fact, when we have had box elder bugs all over the place, we let the kids spray them directly, which kills them, and then when you hose them off the suds get on the ground and keep them from crawling under the siding.

apparently this does not work on these guys, they lay eggs on leaves, then caterpillars who eat everything, then they drop to soil and pupate to a sawfly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawfly

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-22-2011 09:49 AM

Fan - the egg layers - not good and too late by that time. Need to spray rose leaves earlier...then there would be no eggs laid on the leaves. Try it next year...

===

Return to “Garden & Galley”