Paintings by Adolf Hitler

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 08-07-2011 02:48 PM

Its good knowing he did positive things -- Some of these are quite nice!

http://www.youtube.com/v/x_TPUP3UBjU

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 08-07-2011 03:14 PM

Most of the comments I've ever read about his artistic endeavors were quite belittling: Mediocre, at best... is the one that stands out in my memory.

I'm not an artist or even a good art critic (most of the paintings I've seen I wouldn't buy, even if I had the money). But it's often occurred to me that if the renown artists and art critics of that day had been kinder to his endeavors - he obviously did have talent - perhaps he wouldn't have become so incensed at people overall, and so devoid of conscience by the end. We will never know what his true tipping-point was, but obviously he lacked praise at the proper times and for the good efforts he made when he was young and perhaps salvageable.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-07-2011 03:16 PM

Lol! He was refused entrance into the art school he wanted to attend -- they didn't like his work. We know what happened then....

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 08-07-2011 03:18 PM

Gee... well, there you go! I imagine that would do it for some people.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Lore
Pirate

Post by Lore » 08-07-2011 03:22 PM

I am not an art critic, I just know what I like.

I like his paintings at least from what I just saw on YouTube. It may be they wouldn't look as good up close.

A monster with talent.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-07-2011 03:51 PM

Lore wrote: I am not an art critic, I just know what I like.

I like his paintings at least from what I just saw on YouTube. It may be they wouldn't look as good up close.

A monster with talent.

This is true - he was.

His "tipping point" is simple - he was born evil.

We have all known adults who had horrible childhoods and they did not turn into monstrous mass murderers.

Good Grief.
A man's character is his fate

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-07-2011 04:44 PM

Yeah, right. Well, it's a little more complicated than that. The Nazi's interest in art has been well documented. Like all fascist movements they were very concerned with the use of art as propaganda and distinguished their taste in art directly in opposition to the 'decadent' Jewish art of the immediately preceding Weimar era -- even holding a 'decadent art' exhibit in Berlin at the height of the Nazi era. As far as I remember Hitler's painting is more or less 'classical' in approach, and this is true for the Nazi approach in general. There's a famous painting of Hitler as a medieval knight that was pierced by the bayonet of an American serviceman when the Allies overran Berlin. There were lots of paintings like that.

The Italians, on the other hand, liked more experimental, 'modern' art. I always thought this was why Ezra Pound, the American expat poet and fascist sympathizer, collaborated with the Italians and not the Germans.
Last edited by HB3 on 08-07-2011 06:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-07-2011 06:21 PM

Dude111 wrote: Its good knowing he did positive things -- Some of these are quite nice!

I'm a little confused by this - why is it "good to know he did positive things"?

Does that in some way change his character? Make him a little misunderstood? The man was a reprehensible monster - who happened to know how to paint. His paintings have made no positive contribution to society that I am aware of.

Did he once help a little old lady cross the street? Donate to charity? Were his efforts to promote further appreciation of music beneficial to the world?

Their is no need to make Adolf Hitler seem more "human". Their is no need to further understand the man that was Hitler - one need only understand the horrors he oversaw, and understand how he did it with charisma and circumstance.

The only thing that is "good" about Hitler is that he is dead, hurriedly buried in rubble, his body burned beyond recognition like his victims in the concentration camps - never afforded a proper burial so that his deranged apologists and followers might turn it in to a shrine.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 08-07-2011 06:53 PM

Kaztronic wrote: I'm a little confused by this - why is it "good to know he did positive things"?

Does that in some way change his character? Make him a little misunderstood? The man was a reprehensible monster - who happened to know how to paint. His paintings have made no positive contribution to society that I am aware of.

Did he once help a little old lady cross the street? Donate to charity? Were his efforts to promote further appreciation of music beneficial to the world?

Their is no need to make Adolf Hitler seem more "human". Their is no need to further understand the man that was Hitler - one need only understand the horrors he oversaw, and understand how he did it with charisma and circumstance.

The only thing that is "good" about Hitler is that he is dead, hurriedly buried in rubble, his body burned beyond recognition like his victims in the concentration camps - never afforded a proper burial so that his deranged apologists and followers might turn it in to a shrine.

i couldn't have said it better.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-07-2011 07:15 PM

The only thing that should happen to Adolf is what was in the scene of "Little Nikky" at 4PM.

Added the scene....

Last edited by voguy on 08-07-2011 07:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 08-08-2011 02:01 AM

I've never really looked at Hitler's early artwork before and it is curious. Since I know what sort stamp he was going to make on history it's impossible to isolate that knowledge while I look over those images. Some of the paintings are of ruins which was a fashionable genre at the time. But it is far more disturbing since I know he would be responsible for so many actual ruins in the path of his warped ambition. I also notice a predominant yellowish tint to many of the pictures. I don't know if that's an artifact of age in the pigments or some sort of patina but the condition of xanthopsia comes to mind. Xanthopsia is the prevalence of a yellow tint in someone's vision. Perhaps that was the effect of some disease or from a good dose of British poison gas from the Great War.
I often wondered that if he was accepted at that art-school in Vienna humanity might have been spared from another horror. I don't know. Sometimes simple incidents can make a profound difference in human affairs. And sometimes not....:confused:
Last edited by Lastmartian on 08-08-2011 02:21 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

I saw..

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-08-2011 05:43 AM

Lots of vacant ruins, empty streets..even the works with people in them, their numbers were few and they were strolling solo, alone. Two portraits: one picture of a pretty woman (mom?) and another woman, eyes closed in dead repose.

I see no good in these..if he were in art class and these his output, I'd expect his marks to be far from excellent; mediocre at best.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-08-2011 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Kaztronic The only thing that is "good" about Hitler is that he is dead, hurriedly buried in rubble, his body burned beyond recognition like his victims in the concentration camps - never afforded a proper burial so that his deranged apologists and followers might turn it in to a shrine.
That sounds like how we like our arch-nemesi done in. Without proof they are dead :coolhat:

I wonder if he did escape and continued painting, eventually we may see more works done by Hitler in exile?

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-08-2011 10:10 AM

Fan wrote: That sounds like how we like our arch-nemesi done in. Without proof they are dead :coolhat:

I wonder if he did escape and continued painting, eventually we may see more works done by Hitler in exile?
Maybe obl will sit for him?:cool: :rolleyes:

Return to “The Brig”