Garden planning, planting time

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-23-2011 12:41 PM

joan roberts wrote: Cherry was awaiting your answer, dont want to miss out

on the letuce , but todays predic is for 98 here:(

Have had no luck with cilantro, dies out quick luckily can

get organic at nearby store.......

Funny when I plant Cilantro it bolts quickly as well - but then enjoy the flowers - so lovely.
A man's character is his fate

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 08-23-2011 12:42 PM

Thanks Cherry! That’s what I thought but never hurts to run it by the guru of gardening.

We have been experimenting with aquaponics at my sons house in Bella Vista AR. Getting great results !
We just set up two tanks in my shop to winter and breed the tilapia for use next year.
All hear few listen

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-24-2011 01:16 PM

Seems when garden produce comes in - its sort of non-stop!

I seem to be doing okay with my herbs this yr - keeping them from direct sunlight has helped a LOT! Whether they will survive when bringing them indoors - always iffy! Basil does okay for a few weeks to month or maybe longer when indoors, but it bolts and while I do pinch it back as much as I can - it will not last. So I do save leaves (freeze them or dry them).

---
Been doing quarts of dill-pickled green tomatoes (with garlic) and sending them with kids to a weekend flea market. Will see what happens.

Off to get things done before shopping and bowling..

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 09-12-2011 12:11 PM

Just finished grinding the last of the dehydrated cayenne peppers ….. Sneeze, sneeze, sneeze !! But the months of flavor is worth it.
Bell peppers are done . Cantaloupe and tomatoes hanging in there.
It was a tough gardening summer in the Ozarks this year. To hot and dry. Looking forward to fall and indoor gardening.
I will post a picture of the tilapia and information on the aquaponic system if anyone is interested..
All hear few listen

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-14-2011 11:57 AM

badspell - ya - you were a lot hotter and drier than normal. Up here - been strange summer as well.

OK for next yr - get some of that black/gray (opposite sides) ground cover to put around the base of your plants - it helps keep water in (good if we don't get flooded!) and helps keep down the weeds too!

I was thinking my tomatoes were on their last - as had a lot of brownish dead stems - but ohhh - wrong on that - they have taken off like wow! blooming and with a lot of quarter-half dollar size tomatoes. Will be doing green tomatoes (pickling) - with those that do not ripen before frost...

Peppers love the cooler weather and are doing another production time as well. Ocra going well, and winter squash must have a dozen showing on the vines. (gotta bug dust to protect them)

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 09-14-2011 05:53 PM

Tomatoes here growing like mad again too, want to start

some lettuce soon, lemon tree is full so will have some of

those soon....:crazyjump

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-17-2011 01:02 PM

Joan - Sounds great! We are getting some needed soaking type rain today which should help those blooming plants put on produce!!

I figure we will have a lot of green smaller tomatoes to make more of our dilled pickled tomatoes!

I know I need to pick Jalapeno peppers again, but it can wait until tomorrow - if garden dries up enough to do so! :)

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 09-17-2011 08:56 PM

Tomatoes? Peppers??

We had frost in the valley last night......
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-17-2011 11:36 PM

Tomatoes thriving still - my orange tree is limping along due to a ground squirrel.

Queen Anne's lace just forming Umbels -can't wait to see them flourish - a lovely sight I think.
A man's character is his fate

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 09-18-2011 06:56 PM

More tomatoes ripening but can see them slowing up.....

have lots for winter, frozen, winter its 90 today.....:rolleyes:

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 09-19-2011 01:47 AM

If you live in an area where contrails/chemtrais are PREVALENT... you need to cover your home gardens with GAUZE... Yes, it's expensive; but what is the price f your well-being? If you do this, even o a deck garden, you will SEE what the difference between CHEMRTAIL DAYS and non- chemtrails days makes on the gauze above your gardens. On chemtrail days, your gauze will tun BROWN from the toxins. Some of them get through... but if you hose off your plants in the late afternoons or the early mornings, and CHANGE the gauze, your plants will be healthier. Yes... they STILL absorb the chemtrail toxin n the soil, but if you're growing your veggies ib pots like I do, you keep a lot of the barim ad aluminum from being absorbed into the soil.

Call me a conspiracy theorist... I don't care. But these chemtrails - for whatever GOOD reason they may be being sprayed - are changing our life-spans and our DNA.

I don't know if it's an aluminatti influence, or just stupidity, but it's happening. And those of you who don't know that, yet, need to think about it. What's YOUR life span worth to YOU??!! Do you want to live to see your great grand children? Do you want your children and grand children to be fertile without thousands of dollars in fertility tests and following infertility treatments? The pollutants ARE the reasons... from milk to beef & pork & chicken, to grains.

CK, YOU need to consider this, seriously. I see the difference in the plants I grow in my pots. The ones on my property are often mutated... either not fruitful, or mis-shapen, and they are a different color and don't taste nearly as good.

I don't mean to scare anyone; my purpose in posting this is to educate you about what's happening overhead that's changing all of us. It's insidious, and it's WRONG.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-19-2011 01:49 PM

Bobbi -- I am quite careful with my growing produce, but thanks for your concern.

I am also quite well aware of contrails/chemtrails and have photographic evidence of some - many years ago in this area.

---
The only thing I am upset about was the discover that the chili and jalapeno pepper seeds came from China this last yr - probably why they produced HOTTER peppers. I have complained to the seed company!!!

I happen to enjoy chilli-rellanoes (?SP) and Jalapeno poppers, but not the hot hot hot ones like these! Even oldest son who likes hot peppers said they were hotter than normal.

All plants here are growing, flowering and producing again - they liked the cooler temps and the 3/4" rain! Now sunshine will help dry things.

cherry
Pirate

Texas Heat Wave

Post by cherry » 09-24-2011 09:29 AM

Too hot for pumkins this year .... :(

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-27-2011 12:48 PM

cherry - ya its been too hot down in TX for pumpkins to grow - well that and the lack of rain...

I did not grow any this year, but squash has done very well! Had zucchini a lot longer this year and summer squash as well. My winter squash is growing and producing (including the earlier ones I picked) found over half dozen fairly decent size and more growing.

One of the neat things about gardens in different areas is that they grow and produce. While some obviously do better with more shade, some need more sunshine - they all need water to grow. I was able to put an old screen type cover on some where the sun was too hot!

Hopefully you will have a better growing season next year!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-27-2011 06:02 PM

Cherry, I hear people in Texas use a cap from a bottle of Coke as a rain gauge. Never has overflowed. ;)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Garden & Galley”