Julian Assange: Modern day hero, or unaccountable knave?

News, information, and comment about 'the media'

Moderator: Super Moderators

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 01-11-2011 06:01 PM

........Murder Assange........
.... Techno Tribal Positively Primal
Shamanic Anarchistic Archaic Revival....

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 01-13-2011 03:41 AM

Lawyer for Assange’s Sex Accusers Helped In CIA Torture Rendition - Link
.... Techno Tribal Positively Primal
Shamanic Anarchistic Archaic Revival....

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 01-13-2011 03:11 PM

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange could end up at Guantanamo Bay if he is extradited to Sweden, his lawyers will argue next month, according to legal papers they released Tuesday.

He would be at risk of mistreatment or even execution, they will argue, saying that means Britain cannot extradite him without violating his human rights.

Prosecutors in Sweden want him for questioning in connection with sexual misconduct allegations unrelated to WikiLeaks.- source

Well, at least Sweden is tough on sexual harassment.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-06-2011 11:31 AM

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-02-2011 11:49 AM

http://thenextweb.com/media/2011/06/02/ ... ism-prize/
Julian Assange has been announced as the winner of the 2011 Martha Gellhorn Prize for journalism.

The prize was first given out in 1999, and was established in the honor of renowned war correspondent Martha Gellhorn. It’s awarded to journalists that challenge ‘official drivel’, as Gellhorn herself called it, and it:

“…celebrates journalism that challenges secrecy and mendacity in public affairs and raises ‘forgotten’ issues of public importance, without fear or favor, working against the grain of government spin.”

It’s difficult to think of a more fitting winner for this award, in light of Assange’s Wikileaks revelations in the past twelve months. Indeed, Wikileaks published a huge assortment of military records, and the US diplomatic cables leak later in the year made world headlines when it published countless classified leaks from within the US State Department.

Previous winners of the Martha Gellhorn Prize have included journalists at the Guardian, Independent, London Review of Books, Sunday Times and the Glasgow Herald.

Heh... remember Assange? I know, I know ... he's like, so 2010.

Did we ever learn the truth about WikiLeaks? Is it what it appears to be?

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-wik ... peace.html
Assange, an Australian former computer hacker who is fighting extradition from Britain to Sweden over alleged sex crimes, was praised and rewarded with the Sydney Peace Prize's Gold Medal.

Although the Peace Prize is awarded annually by the foundation only three other people in its 14-year history have been awarded the gold award for courage in pursuit of human rights -- the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela and Japanese Buddhist leader Daisaku Ikeda.

The foundation paid tribute to Assange's determination to seek greater transparency and accountability from governments around the world, having challenged "centuries old practices of government secrecy".

"By championing people's right to know, WikiLeaks and Julian Assange have created the potential for a new order in journalism and in the free flow of information," said foundation director Stuart Rees.
Last edited by SquidInk on 06-02-2011 12:06 PM, edited 1 time in total.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 08-30-2011 09:26 AM

Where is the truth? Probably in some encrypted file on a pirate sever somewhere.
WHISTLEBLOWING WEB SITE Wikileaks has suffered a major setback with a leak of fully unredacted US State Department cables including sources' details surfacing online, thanks to a blunder by its founder, Julian Assange.

The leak occurred sometime after Assange shared the password of an encrypted 'insurance' file stored online with a contact believed to have been trustworthy. This individual then used the password to decrypt the collection of 250,000 US diplomatic cables, which include details that could identify US State Department sources, according to the German newspaper Der Spiegel.

Wikileaks had previously released many of the cables, but it redacted them to omit sensitive information including the names of informants. However, an encrypted file containing the cables with no censorship was stored online, which meant that all that was needed was the encryption key, which Assange willingly gave to trusted individuals.

- source http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... z1WWRYmmGn
Last edited by SquidInk on 08-30-2011 09:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-30-2011 04:38 PM

I wonder if the trusty person was a mole?
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 10-24-2011 09:47 PM

Rats. I was just going to contribute to
  • Westboro Baptist Church
  • The KKK
  • Stormfront &
  • Wikileaks
but I guess the Military Industrial Complex has a problem with *one* of those organizations.

sources:

Not going to link, but I verified the ability to donate via cc.
Last edited by SquidInk on 10-24-2011 11:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 01-19-2012 06:27 PM

"From the glory days of American radicalism, which was the American Revolution, I think that Madison's view on government is still unequaled," he tells me during the three days I spend with him as he settles into his new location in England. "That people determined to be in a democracy, to be their own governments, must have the power that knowledge will bring – because knowledge will always rule ignorance. You can either be informed and your own rulers, or you can be ignorant and have someone else, who is not ignorant, rule over you. The question is, where has the United States betrayed Madison and Jefferson, betrayed these basic values on how you keep a democracy? I think that the U.S. military-industrial complex and the majority of politicians in Congress have betrayed those values."

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... w-20120118

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-20-2012 03:41 PM

The question is, where has the United States betrayed Madison and Jefferson, betrayed these basic values on how you keep a democracy? I think that the U.S. military-industrial complex and the majority of politicians in Congress have betrayed those values.
"You see that's what I think is such a terrible, terrible betrayal, the trust that people have in government."
- Ralph Steadman

"Is it possible to succeed without any act of betrayal?:
- Jean Renoir

“Betrayal is the only truth that sticks."
- Arthur Miller

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-19-2012 09:26 PM

http://www.france24.com/en/20120519-ass ... -australia
Assange stands 'real chance' of election in Australia

Controversial WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange (pictured in 2012) stands a real chance of winning an upper house seat in his native Australia if he presses ahead with plans to stand for election, according to a poll.

A survey conducted by the ruling Labor party's internal pollsters UMR Research and published in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper showed 25 percent of those polled would vote for the whistleblowing website chief.

Supporters of the left-wing Greens party were most likely to be pro-Assange, with 39 percent saying they would vote for him, meaning he had a good chance of wresting a Greens Senate spot, UMR's John Utting told the newspaper.

"There is clearly a significant level of support for Julian Assange which crosses party lines and is more concentrated amongst Greens voters," he said.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 05-21-2012 01:05 AM

Many think that guy who runs that site IS WORKING WITH CIA to release info they wouldnt admit to otherwise....

When you look @ the fact that THEY DIDNT SEIZE HIS DOMAIN when they started seizing others (megaupload.com,etc) you gotta wonder if indeed he is!

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-19-2012 04:14 PM

Julian Assange Seeks Asylum in Ecuador

QUITO, Ecuador — Embattled WikiLeaks chief Julian Assange took refuge Tuesday in Ecuador's embassy in London and is seeking political asylum, the South American nation's foreign minister said.

Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino said the leftist government of President Rafael Correa was weighing the request. He did not indicate when a decision might be made.

The move comes less than a week after Britain's Supreme Court rejected Assange's bid to reopen his attempts to block extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning after two women accused him of sexual misconduct during a visit to the country in mid-2010. He denies the allegations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/1 ... 09725.html
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-19-2012 05:10 PM

Well, there goes Britain into a conflict with Ecuador.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-19-2012 10:34 PM

Return to “Media Watch”